SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20023316

If you could go back and change one thing, what would it be?

User
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I would have been very careful to choose the family I married into. I love my husband dearly and we have been married 50 years. He was raised in a very strict religious home. They were extremely judgemental people but none of them had very much ambition. He has three sister and they doted on the only boy in the family. His mother seem to alway kinda stick the knife in his back and say off handed things to him when she was alive about never finishing theological school after college and being her "missionary boy." I got the blame for that. His sisters, and I mean ALL have been married at least two times and divorced and two of them have been married three times and divorced and lived with a multitude of men. Nothing was ever said about that. My fault for him not finishing theological school was said when his mother got mad at me for something, I cannot even remember what it was and told me it was my fault that her son was not in the "will of the Lord." When one of my sister in laws had a party for her first year anniversary it was on our 43 anniversary. Her real anniversary was several week before but everyone was in town that weekend and they had a party for her. My husband did not want to attended as it was her fourth marriage. We had plans. His mother shamed him into it so we went, but he did tell her it was our anniversary also. I guess she forgot. She bought us a very small and I mean SMALL cake and placed it into our car while we were all at the party. It was all icky and melted in the July heat. Guess that is why I have been thinking about it during this July. It hurt both of us so much. I was never good enough. Still not. I would have married him all over again but you cannot separate the man from his family. I have felt like I was on the outside looking in through the years. What is so ironic when I wanted to marry my husband my grandmother and my dad warned me about my husband being the apple of his family's eye and I would never measure up in their eyes. Wow! Oh, it I had only listened! O.K. Rant over. So, what would you change in your life if you could go back??

Comments (46)