SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
krozzz

Furnishing 1br Loft Space (MCM Direction)

Krozzz
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hello All, first time post and very grateful was directed to Houzz!

I've recently moved into a 1br loft and will be my first time actually furnishing my space.

Overall Direction:

I'm a very big fan of minimalism, and room/space in my living room. I'd like to retain an airy feel that is inviting and comfortable. My main use for the living room is for relaxing for reading, writing, listening to music, or watching movies/sports in the evening.

I'm also very drawn to the Mid-Century Modern, and Scandinavian styles. Mainly when those styles make use of low, minimalist furniture pieces. I adore the living room space that can be accomplished with a sofa and accent lounge chairs accompanied by end tables, plants, credenzas, and an assortment of decor and art.

I also do not care for a Dining Room space as I normally cook for myself and don't plan on hosting any dinner specific events, additionally, I have plenty of counter space that may utilize stool seating.

Space:

Here are some photos of the place in question, the dimensions for the living room are:

Counter to Windows - 20.5'

Brick wall to beige wall - 18.5'

Furniture:

I'd like the main fixture of the room to be a 4 piece combo (although certainly room for deliberation) that includes a sofa similar to this design paired with Z chairs and some additional lounge chairs which I'm not set on. Could include upholstery options that are larger sofa like, or smaller options as well.

I will be getting a TV as well so the living room will need to accommodate that although it certainly will not be the main fixture.

I currently have 2 Ikea Kivik Chaises in that color, although they are far too big of space hogs but serve to represent my desire for furniture that provides relaxation and lounging. Additionally I have one Ikea Poang chair with Oak frame and dark grey fabirc. Neither of these need to remain, just what I have at the moment.

Barstools I was originally looking at these and was ready to order them. I love the aesthetic but I'm not thrilled with the grey fabric option. As some others have pointed out --- 0 contrast with the kitchen and I don't like that. I'm not a fan of large, chrome framed ones with those huge circular bases and protruding foot rests. While I enjoy this Ikea option, the flared frame really ruins it for me.

One last piece though, and I don't know if I'll be able to incorporate it but I think by the windows a coffee/tea/conversation spot like this is very attractive to me.

Credenzas

I've also assembled my stereo setup, and I envision these pieces to be sitting on/beside a MCM credenza, side table, or console table. In the meantime I'm looking on Kijiji and haven't done any worthwhile research into options to purchase. One for the Stereo and Vinyls and one console unit may be needed for the TV, could maybe get away with using one for both. Who knows yet.

Decor

The only items I'm really keen on outside of the stereo setup is some plants that could include Snake plants, Fig Leaf tree, and a few other tropicals. I'd like a mix of larger tree like sized plants and smaller accent ones to round things out. Currently I'm drawn to this piece for living room main decor, as I've found the colors to be of exceptional spectrum and coloring options that I adore but would never be able to piece together myself. For lighting I'd like 2 floor lamps, one being a wooden Tripod/White Shade lamp with another similar to this. That's about as far as I've come in this department.

As for rugs, I'm completely lost and I think I'd rather wait until my color palettes have been established first. Also, I'd lean more towards a geometric design for that.

Colors:

I have a few directions I'd like to go, but I don't feel that they compliment each other and would love to hear some advice in this regard. For the sofa I'd LOVE either a light olive drab/lime green or turquoise blue. The turquoise is more my style along with it's accompanying colors but for some reason I just can't shake my allure to the olive drab sofa --- to me it really encapsulates the MCM feel. Anyways I'm worried if I go with that green it may pull me to a direction of colors don't suit my tastes as well as one that included the turquoise.

I've never been a fan of orange but I've found it to be calling out more and more for this place, whether it's bar stools or an accent chair, or simply accent pieces.

For drapes I'm looking at either navy blue, royal blue , or even a Maastricht Blue (#012a36) regardless I'd really like to incorporate that last blue in the decor.

Last Thoughts

For anyone interested I can share a few Ideaboards I've assembled that showcase the low, open living room look I'm shooting for or even some color palettes I've put together or have seen on here. And of course thanks in advance for any feedback or thoughts!

Comments (9)