SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lesli_neubauer

Eden climbing rose

Lesli Neubauer (South central TX zone 8b/9)
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I want this rose! Does anyone gave experiences/opinions to share about this rose? Where did you find it? What type of structure supports/shows it off the best?

Comments (100)

• EvaElizabeth
    5 years ago
    I had blooms so late on my new Eden last year, I looked out the window one day and realized it was still flowering and covered in snow and I had forgotten to insulate it. I thought, I need to hurry and take care of that! And I promptly forgot. Since my zone is borderline, i knew I should insulate it and I’m pretty sure I killed it. It looks pretty brown. I thought I would wait, hoping it would grow back a little from the roots since I’ve heard some people have luck with that, but we just had a sporadic late snow last week so I might be waiting a while before I know for sure. I might just going to order another one. I want to make sure I’m better prepared and have a good calendar system this year. I do okay with anything that is really routine, like every day or every week, but I’m terrible at things that are a few times a season, like fertilizing and insulating.
  • EvaElizabeth
    5 years ago
    Beautiful greenhouse, really inspiring!
  • Related Discussions

eden climbing rose

Q

Comments (10)
    I know I am recommending Northland Rosarium a lot but I love their roses! They are located up north I believe in zone 5 so the roses they grow are for that climate also. Plus they are own root. If you go to their website, you can read for yourself about their own root roses. The benefit for own root in zone 5 is if it dies back during the winter, it will grow again in the spring since it will re-grow form it's own roots. Grafted roses cannot do that. Also I am in zone 7, and I have two Eden roses. One is grafted, and the other is own root from Northland Rosarium. The grafted one I bought a year before, and a year later bought the own root Eden. Well the own root rose has almost caught up to the grafted one, plus the own root one grows new canes from the ground that the grafted one cannot. I am eagerly awaiting bloom right now, and I will post pics as soon as I can.
    ...See More

Pretty In Pink Eden Climbing Rose

Q

Comments (13)
    jjpeace, I lost Eden to winter kill it's first year, so never got to know her, I'm trying her again this year on a tuteur. I hope this will be the year they do well and we both see lots of those perfect Eden blooms. Jasminerose4u, I have an order in for Super Dorothy for an arbor in another area. It is definitely a consideration. The Albrighton Rambler is too pale for this particular spot. My rail fence is quite a ways back from the road, and I want something that will be seen. I'm also considering Bajazzo. I planting Bajazzo on an arbor to my chicken coop area last year, and so far the canes do seem pliable enough. I have to go pick up the five PIPE's I ordered, so I can switch some of them out.
    ...See More

Eden climbing rose

Q

Comments (7)
    If you are close to a Walmart, you might want to check there. 2 years ago they had a two foot tall potted Eden that I couldn't decide on the spot- of course it was gone when I went back. It seems Northland Rosarium regularly carries Eden if you want to mail order.
    ...See More

Spacing for Eden Climbing Roses

Q

Comments (9)
    Hi - I just planted 2 Edens next to a new arbor that get dappled shade much of the day at the lower level due to 3 foot hedges on either side. They came as 2 ft tall stripped bareroots - it's been two weeks and I haven't seen any leaf growth yet. Getting worried. Once they are about 3 feet tall they will have direct or lightly dappled sunlight for much of the day all the way up the 8-10 foot arbor. Maybe I should have planted them in a pot and let them grow taller in direct sun since the first couple of feet of their spots are so shady due to the hedge. I was hoping to avoid having them bleach out as we are in GA and our afternoon direct sunlight is brutal.
    ...See More
  • sbrklyn_7bny
    5 years ago

Just checked on my Eden today and it looks like it has survived its first NY winter! I put it in the ground late pretty late last year. It Looks somewhat sad though so I hope it comes back.

time to prune and feed?

• Lesli Neubauer (South central TX zone 8b/9)
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Textuff polycarbonate corrugated roofing, clear for North facing half, smoke gray for south side of roof, for extra sun protection, w/84% Light transmission.
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    ps please note, we are in South TX, you may not have same heat issues. we also hang/stretch shade cloth INSIDE just under roof duri g summers, for a shade house, and take polycarbonate gable panels off to allow heat to escape, and have all windows open during times of heat.
  • jjpeace (zone 5b Canada)
    5 years ago

Eden is one of my favourite rose. However, in my zone 5, it is a shrub and won't get very large. I do get a few blooms and they are exquisite. One of the things I do love is the healthy foliage. This is definitely a rose I would grow again and again.

• ladybug A 9a Houston area
    5 years ago

Lesli, if you are interested, some of the group 3 clemantis MAY make it here. I picked up a couple from ARE last fall, they just started to come up, so no idea how they will fare through summer.

• PRO
    Bag of Bees
    5 years ago

Eden rose is looking like it will give be a pretty show this year! I do notice some of the buds succumbing to something weird though. They appear a bit squat, almost like they are balling but I think maybe it’s pest damage. I have sprayed off quite a few aphids already.

And one of the weird buds:

My iceberg rose standard is looking just BONKERS with buds though!

• PRO
    Bag of Bees
    5 years ago

Look who’s waking up :)

• totoro z7b Md
    5 years ago

So beautiful! I am trying to feed mine more so it hopefully produces more blooms.

• Arosebyanyother
    5 years ago

I just got my very first bloom on my two year old Eden. I’m excited to see how it matures.

Original Author
    5 years ago
    I've got buds coming on all but one of my Edema. That last one I think I'll move because it doesn't get as much sun.
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Edens, stupid phone keeps changing my words
  • PRO
    Bag of Bees
    5 years ago

Im in love with these flowers. Even with the thrip damage they are amazing.

• altorama Ray
    5 years ago

I am in zone 6A and grew Eden in a previous garden. It got very big, for here anyway, over 10'. It is definitely a rose you need to be patient with, but after a few years should certainly bloom prolifically and frequently. The older it got, the hardier the canes seemed to get. Really a beautiful rose, which thrived despite neglect, a lot of shade, and competition from a huge rambler and Magnolia.

Original Author
    5 years ago

First Eden opened today!

• PRO
    Bag of Bees
    5 years ago

Here it is in almost full bloom this year! I took this photo a couple of days ago, so some of the other buds have since opened up. Unfortunately it's storming tonight so I don't think it'll look this pretty in the morning. Glad I got as many photos as I did while it was looking grand. :)

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    5 years ago

Totally worth the wait!

• altorama Ray
    5 years ago

I knew someone was asking about it! Here is mine in a previous 6a garden.

This isn't even the whole plant.

Original Author
    4 years ago

:( My Eden is missing at least a hundred petals! what's going on? I do have an Eden don't I? This is the 2nd bloom. Are they just lacking because it's early? this is the first spring. I've been fertilizing often with organic alfalfa, alfalfa tea, Medina Growing Green, Rose Glo by Maestro Grow. Tell me what I need to do!

• BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Lesli

I’m afraid that might not be Eden. The color isn’t too far off, but the form is too modern, as you noticed, there are not enough petals, and typically, Eden’s foliage is extremely dark and glossy.. By first spring you mean you had it part of last year, too, correct? Any tendency to throw out long climbing/sprawly canes, or is it upright and bushy?

• K S 7b Little Rock (formerly of Seattle)
    4 years ago

Oh dear. Lesli, I agree with Ben on this. And I know that you have several plants of this rose -- are they all like this? If so, I suggest you ask for a refund and get replacements from a different source. Weather and age can cause variations in blooms, but those leaves don't look right to me either.

Original Author
    4 years ago
    well☹ I have to share a few of my truths...i live zone 9, which used to be 8b, I'm still in denial. We have had the weirdest weather. I try to design my half acre garden in a cottagey-esc design. My natural soil is sandy loam, heavy on the sandy. I also have been in an ongoing battle with gophers and this year all sorts of bugs and black spot. My only solution so far is planting in sunken molasses tubs, or wire gopher baskets. The 2nd option has been better for the roses. All of my Edens are in wire gopher baskets. For whatever reason I also have certain roses that seem constantly chlorotic. As most of those are in the sunken tubs ( with 3/4 inch holes drilled all over the sides and bottom). I'm wondering if that could be lack of oxygen? Because-- I have amended with numerous different things, iron, Epsom salts, wood ashes, compost, fertilizer etc. Usually they will improve for a while. My husband has just agreed to make me some larger wire baskets, so may be pulling out some of those in tubs, and replanting in baskets.

With limited funds, I spend way more than I should on plants, amendments, etc AND to top it off I try very hard to do all this organically. Not the least of my problems- is being 51, overweight, ruptured discs, very out of shape, and my garden is very short staffed these days.

All that being said, I have also found others with matching issues with their first year Edens, lack of petals etc, that completely changed their 2nd year to the more veluptuos blooms and leaves typical for Eden. I just got these roses in late January from Regan Nursery?

My husband is wonderful at building structures for my roses and garden, but he's not much help in the garden. My weight and spine issues limit me more than I care to admit. If there are any other suggestions to help with ammending soil for chlorotic rose plants, I'm all ears. I have been fundamentally opposed to Milorganite, but I'm probably submissive enough to my desires for the end product, to get it to see if it would help my roses. :)
    4 years ago

Oh dear Lesli, when I started reading your post my immediate response is she needs to load up on Milorganite, I’m sorry to say it! :(. Even I feel sorry for the poor Milorganite lady in the videos who picks it up with her bare hands like candy and spreads it around her plants with a forced smile. (The things we do for our jobs and our gardens, lol!). . But it is just extraordinarily good for our TX soils, rich in quality nitrogen and iron, trace elements. And it’s cheap and, um, plentiful.

Eden has been a happy& fat monster with Milorganite, in fact I try to keep the stuff a bit far away from her or she’ll swallow her HT neighbors with her dense canes, but she manages to get at it anyway, I’m sure, by now her roots have reached her neighbors..

...even a blue blood , Prince Chuck clematis likes a royal helping of Milorganite, too.

Original Author
    4 years ago
    I know, your pictures are what drew me to Eden! I give! ...seems like I saw some recently at Wal-Mart, I'll get some as soon as I find it!
    4 years ago

Honestly, I don’t like being the pied piper of Milorganite anymore than you like being its minion! But think of it as the phoenix rising out of the (smelly) ashes!

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    4 years ago

My plants absolutely LOVE milorganite! They can go from pale green to dark healthy green in a matter of days with that stuff. The smell gives me a migraine though. So I usually dump it quickly and run lol. When I was using it monthly my brugmansia truly were looking like tgey were on steroids. Huge plants with huge flowers with massive amounts of blooms. I should probably get some more and start using it again.

• K S 7b Little Rock (formerly of Seattle)
    4 years ago

Roses are the ideal application for Milorganite! I wouldn't put in in my vegetable patch, but using it on roses helps your roses AND helps with nutrient cycling in our environment (so you can pat yourself on the back for helping reverse some of the disruptive human-induced distortions in our ecosystem if you use Milorganite). If you have persistent problems with chlorosis I guess it is either lack of nitrogen because of the sandy conditions (the old growth will tend to get yellow as the nitrogen is transferred to the new growth preferentially) or a pH issue. You might want to test the pH of the soil in the area to see if it is in a good range -- it it is too high or low it can make nutrients in the soil unavailable for your roses. In either case, Milorganite or other compost will probably help.

4 years ago

They had this rose at Lowe's and it barely looked like these cupped pictures. Maybe this on varies based on resources when setting bud.

Original Author
    4 years ago
    Ok, located Milorganite in a nearby (32 mi) town, made a mad dash, and have returned. I have a bushel and a half of peaches to cut up for the freezer, then I'll be putting it out, as I leave again tomorrow to keep my grandbaby, won't be back till Friday. Maybe I'll see a difference when i get back if I can get it out today!
    Now 30-40 roses waiting to feel/look better!
  • flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    4 years ago

Ben, I need to try it on my Edens, too. They've grown very little and bloomed even less. Of course, it could be my zone, but before I give up on them, I'll give them one more chance to produce a flush. :) My question is, do you use only Milorganite, or use it with other amendments like rose food and manure?

4 years ago

Flowers

I do also use alfalfa tea, and also fish bone meal. I’m not sure the fish bone meal is necessary, since my soil is naturally phosphorus and potassium rich. I do think the alfalfa tea and Milorganite are instrumental. There have been times when I use Osmocote when I’m being lazy, but I’ve not used it at all yet this year and Eden and all the other roses don’t miss it.

I’m not sure about Eden’s hardiness, but I do think genetically it has great vigor.

Edited to add: I also supplement with some Mills Liquid feed and some seaweed extract. Again, not sure if it’s all necessary, but it makes ME feel good when the roses are well fed, they may be overstuffed for all I know.

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    4 years ago

Thank you so much, Ben. I'll try it along with alfalfa tea, which I am planning to use anyway, and look for fish bone meal. They are rated to z5, but that might only mean root hardy. My Edens are about 4 years old and have bloomed very sparingly and definitely not climber height at 3' and 5'. If I remove them, I will replant as shrubs. You are the undisputed Eden expert among us! Lesli, I'm wishing you luck, too!

• Dylan Z8bTX
    4 years ago

Beautiful pictures Ben!! May I know how tall your obelisk is?

Original Author
    4 years ago
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>Ok, roses fertilized...
    Original Author
    4 years ago

let me try again, don't know what happened up there. Ok, roses fertilized...Ben, how much do you give each rose, and how often?

• sautesmom Sacramento
    4 years ago

All the Edens I have seen have nodding heads, even the baby ones at the nursery. I don't think that photo is Eden. I have Pretty In Pink Eden, and it fell over as a baby plant from nodding heads. Here they are on a trellis
    Carla in Sac

4 years ago

I love that story! i've seen PiPE at a regional garden and it nodded, but was finishing. This was a pretty rose, but looked so different. However, most pictures don't show the fully open flowers.

4 years ago

Lesli

Maybe 1/2 to 3/4 cup for a smaller bush, every 2 months

Dylan

The obelisk is 8 ft. It’s sunk in the ground a few inches, stabilized with concrete.

• Dylan Z8bTX
    4 years ago

Thanks Ben. From where did you buy it? The obelisks I see in nurseries here are too short/small.

4 years ago

My favorite is the ‘Border Concepts Giant Obelisk’. There’s a 800 number on this link, maybe you can call and ask where to get it:

https://borderconcepts.com/product/giant-pyramid/

It is 96x18. It’s not only higher, but wider than most...much easier to wrap canes around a thicker obelisk, bend them too much and those long canes with their sharp thorns spring back at you, like the rose is waging war...ouch.

• Dylan Z8bTX
    4 years ago

Thanks a bunch Ben! Will check it out

Original Author
    4 years ago

Third flower on the same Eden. I think it looks a bit closer to typical Eden form and it is still unfurling petals. Thinking back about all of my roses...very few of them in my yard are unchanging, depending on age of rose, depending on weather, fertilizer, rain all can make my other roses change, why would Eden be different?

• philipatx
    4 years ago

A little late to the conversation, and I don't know what your soil is like, Lesli, but you might find alfalfa to be a lot cheaper in your area sold as horse feed. I'm not sure I would go to the trouble of making it into a tea -- from your description, your soil might appreciate it as a compost amendment. You could also look into digging in some green sand which might cover a lot of your micronutrient needs if the plants look a little anemic. And of course, Epsom Salts are very cheap at any drug store, for the nominal amount you might require, if magnesium is an issue. I wouldn't think a little epsom salt could hurt, as long as you don't overdo it.

*Some* amendments can set you back more than the darned roses did in the first place!

Ben's garden is absolutely spectacular -- probably the most spectacular I've seen in our region -- but you probably don't need to be quite so feeding-happy to have a happy garden. (You are likely to end up with proliferation in some of your blooms, and might have to beat back some of your plants if you get *too* crazy with the feedings! LOL.)

Cutting peaches *before* handling Milorganite was probably a good call, BTW. ;-)

(Ben, do you lay off your feeding regimen when the summer heat comes, or do you have to water your plants heavily to keep them humming along? I have historically tended to encourage my plants to rest to avoid stressing them too much in summer, but I also try not to irrigate more than I absolutely have to.)

Original Author
    4 years ago
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>Thanks philipatx,
    Original Author
    4 years ago

why does it do that^^^??!! it ate my post!

i said, Thanks! I do all of your suggestions, thanks for the confirmation!

4 years ago

Philip,

Yes, I lay off the fertilizer in July and August, the roses need their rest and it’s too hot for me , too.

Lesli

If you are looking for Alfalfa meal, search if you have a Tractor Supply Co nearby, theirs is insanely cheap. I didn’t know such a store existed until someone on this forum from the Midwest posted about it.

Original Author
    4 years ago

I do get my organic alfalfa pellets from Tractor supply, for $19.95 /40lb bag. I have made tea and I do put it around the plants fairly heavy. Thanks! I got my Milorganite there as well!

• totoro z7b Md
    4 years ago

My Eden bloomed so late this year.

Inspired by Ben I fed and watered Eden a lot this spring and it grew several new canes from higher up reaching for direct sunlight. No new growth last year. Maybe I will get my first repeat this year.

• sbrklyn_7bny
    4 years ago

My Eden only produced 2 buds this year, very disappointing. The other day I notices this bush in our neighborhood which looks like an Eden and covered with blooms. It seems to confirm everyone’s oberservation that this rose needs a few years to establish.