SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tom_heyer5

New Build - Design Questions

Tom
5 years ago

Hey everyone **This gets a bit long**

My wife and I are in the beginning stages of looking at building a Shed-style House. We are a family of 4 with child #3 on the way, plus a dog, and are looking to escape town and move to our own little acreage. In our county, you must build on no less than 5 acres, and luckily for us, we help farm and have a standing offer to buy 5 acres, on a blacktop, whenever we'd like.

I, along with my father, a friend or two, and my brother, will be doing the majority of the work. We will look to have someone put the shell up, exterior walls, trusses, garage, windows, doors, etc., and we'll finish the inside over the course of a year.

Searching house plans online has been a struggle, as most of them include intricate jut outs, unnecessary dormers, and frills that we just aren't looking for. Here is our list of wants:

1500-1800 sq ft

Built on slab

In floor heat

3, maybe 4 beds

Open floor plan - kitchen, dining, living room all completely open to each other. We host a lot, and will continue to do so as well (it's just my wife's nature!).

I want our bedroom to be near the kids rooms, not on the other side of the house

Ranch, maybe a loft (remember, this is a shed house - built pole building style) on one half of the house to give us an extra living space, plus room for storage.

12' or 14' side walls (again, thinking loft above)

Covered front porch, covered back port.

Attached garage.

I had something scribbled together, but room sizes were a bit small. I'll put it on here to get laughed at, but it'll give you the general idea of what we are looking for.

**Couldn't get photo to upload**

36 deep, 50 wide, bedrooms on one side, open area on the other. Vaulted ceilings for the living/dining/kitchen, loft/storage space above the bedrooms/laundry/bathrooms on the other side. Mudroom coming in from the garage

Ideas are appreciated!

Comments (86)