SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dfairchild19

Electrical outlet in island countertop

Derek Fairchild
5 years ago
Hi,
I am diy-ing my kitchen renovation. I have a couple of people that have concern about an electrical outlet location that I have chosen in my island countertop. I have done research trying to find what code says but I cannot find anything where code says that this is not allowable. Can someone shed some light on this for me? Is it safe to have this here?

What are my other options and requirements for electrical outlets in the island? I have a place at one end of the island that I could potentially cut a box into but would rather not.

I would prefer to use this outlet as it serves both sides of the island and can but retracted out of the way when not in use and also keeps cords off the ends and sides of the countertop. But I also want it to be safe for my family and for future owners.

The island is 102” long and 60” wide. The dimension from the back of the sink to the other side of the island is 44”.

Comments (25)

• Ron Natalie
    5 years ago

The NEC requirement is pretty simple. One receptacle must serve the island countertop. It either has to be on or above the surface (your popup is fine) or no more than 20" above (or 12" below under a less than 6" overhang). Unlike countertops along walls, there's no horizontal distance requirement that needs to be met.

Once you meet that requirement for one receptacle, what you do with additional ones is entirely up to you.

With a countertop as long as yours, I'd put some other ones in.

• Related Discussions

Copper Countertop Electrical Outlet

Q

Comments (2)
    The outlets will have their own ground, and anything plugged into them will be grounded (if it has a 3 prong plug). The outlets will also have a GFCI that will detect any current leakage. The general rule is that metal 'likely to become electrified' needs grounding. A counter is NOT in this class.
    ...See More

Electrical outlets below bar-type counter

Q

Comments (2)
    Nothing that I know of for the NEC. The things that come to mind is that there is a maximum distance under an overhang (12" if I recall, I don't have the code here today) that the legally required outlets can be located to count. Is there a lower countertop on one side? Perhaps he's saying he can't fit the outlet in the step up without raising it (still seems suspect).
    ...See More

Please post pictures of your counter-tops

Q

Comments (151)
    Love love love this topic. Your kitchens are amazing. Looking for pics of stainless; particularly of stainless with white cabinets and beadboard backsplash... Have you ever seen this combo? Any ideas would be awesome. Again truly amazing kitchens!!
    ...See More

In counter outlet: Countertop Box Pop-Up

Q

Comments (12)
    You want the cut outs in the granite made in the shop on the CNC machine or with a water jet. Jimmy and his grinder on site are going to have to make the stone significantly weaker to get a nice square. You don't want "square" square either. A bit oversized with radii in the corners is much stronger, like the bit on a CNC machine would make. I broke a backsplash while removing it because of the over-cutting that was done by hand to make the duplex receptacle hole. Fortunately this stone was quite forgiving.
    ...See More
  • Derek Fairchild
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks for your reply Ron. Since this receptacle is centrally located in the island, I think it should serve the island just fine I would think. I could end up being wrong, but I don’t see this being used for much more than a slow cooker and a phone charger or laptop. I’m all ears for additional places for another receptacle though. This is great news and relieves my stress on this part of the project.

Yankee, yes, this is just for mock-up purposes. The finish cover was just to show you guys the specific receptacle being used. It is just sitting in the box for show. The plywood faucet mount is just to get us by with a sink until the countertop is installed. We’ve been using the sink like this for a couple of weeks while I installed the remaining cabinets and support table. It has worked out very well for us so far with only another week or so before countertop installation. (They just templated it today).

Thanks for your replies!
    Derek
  • Derek Fairchild
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Also, in case anyone was curious, here is a view of the entire island.
  • kazmom
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

This is likely a dumb question, but is there any concern with the outlet being that close to the faucet? The area around our sink gets pretty wet, will you be constantly tripping the GFCI?

• User
    5 years ago

Put a box under the counter support, close to each leg, facing down. Get one that has a built in USB charger. More outlets is always better.

Also, your wiring has to be protected. Romex is only for protected runs inside walls, not inside open cabinets. BX is what is done a lot of the time.

Where is your DW?? Or is there a separate clean up sink?

• Ron Natalie
    5 years ago

Type NM (aka Romex ) can be used inside cabinets as long as it's properly secured and not subject to any particular physical damage. The only issue I see is the wires hanging in midair out of whatever that blue box is (though there's not enough picture there to tell for sure).

BX is not approved for use anywhere. Type AC or MC cable is, but not necessary here.

• kazmom
    5 years ago

Be sure and check code for your area. Romex isn’t allowed to be used in my area, even in walls. I know this because when the walls were opened for my remodel they found some and had to replace as much as was visible prior to our electrical inspection.

• User
    5 years ago

What has your inspector said? You did get the permits for this and are having it inspected?

• User
    5 years ago

Love ours. We have 2 countertop pizza ovens for make your own pizza parties and buffet style parties with hot plates and slow cooker type plug ins.. Use it ALL THE TIME. But, I also put outlets on each end, too. We have wood covers that match the island stain. They are very hard to see unless you know where to look. I think you will regret having just the one outlet. There are lots of places there you can sneak some in. The beauty of DIY is it won't cost much to do. Have fun!

• PRO
    Kristin Petro Interiors, Inc.
    5 years ago

We included one in this island because at the time, code did not allow for an outlet under an overhang.

Calm Contemporary Basement · More Info
    This particular model of outlet allowed for the countertop material to be installed on top of it so it can blend in.

• weedmeister
    5 years ago

Is that big open space going to stay there? If so, I'd put one or two outlets under there.

• User
    5 years ago

The biggest issue is that the pop up is facing the wrong way. If you want to plug in a food processor, you’re gonna really regret that.

• kazmom
    5 years ago

I would agree with everyone that more outlets are better. We had 2 planned in our 9’ island, one on each end. I added one under the overhang by the seating for laptops, etc if someone was sitting at the counter (technically out of code being under the overhang but inspector said it was ok since we had the others) and also put a double outlet and USB ports in a drawer for a charging station because I am tired of all the electrical devices sitting on the counter.

• yankee4210
    5 years ago

Sophie, if you would look closely at the photos (and follow along with the conversation) you would see that the NM feeding the pop up outlet is contained in a dead space of the island, and not in an open cabinet. The OP stated that the outlet is mocked up for demonstration purposes (that would be part of the "following the conversation"), so how are we to know which direction it will face. Plus, I'm pretty sure he'll put it where and which direction facing works best for him.

BTW, "BX" is not a term recognized by the NEC. As Ron stated, "AC" (armored cable) and "MC" (metal clad cable) are.

• User
    5 years ago

If you want a nose tissue, you ask for Kleenex. BX may not be the official name, but any electrical supply house and electrician knows what it is. If you don’t look me the colloquialism, that doesn’t make it wrong. Let you get to be 75 and call things by the New Officially Adopted Nomenclature every single time when you are used to calling them by something else for 40 years.

And junctions in boxes have to remain accessible. So all of those boxes are either in an accessible cabinet, in which case all that wire needs to be changed to armored cable, or it’s a dead, inaccessuble space, and the boxes can’t originate from there.

• yankee4210
    5 years ago

All boxes that are seen in the photos ARE accessible, Sophie. Do you see one that isnt?

• User
    5 years ago

There’s a couple of unexplained issues in the photos, yes. One is where that metallic sheathed cable goes, and what it joins to. It would sppear to join to something or another not shown in the picture. Inside an inaccessible space.

• yankee4210
    5 years ago

As the Op is still building the island, I would say that the armored cable seen in the photo has yet to be teminated (the coil of slack he's left). The box in the right of the photo is accessible either in the space left of the sink if you're facing it, or the cabinet space just behind it. I DON'T see a box where you made your leftmost circle, but I do see a connector. Perhaps the OP would like to enlighten us on that.

• Derek Fairchild
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    The blue box is for the garbage disposal and the MC is for the DW that will be to the left of the sink when standing at the sink. They do come through the floor into a junction box that could possibly accessed through the DW opening with the DW removed but you would have to know it was back there to be able to reach it. Before it was brought up in this discussion, I had thought about moving this junction box closer to the DW so that it would be easier to access.

Here is another view of this space.
  • yankee4210
    5 years ago

Just cut that box into the back of the undersink space, Derek, to make it accessible. Replace the 1900 box with a metal remodel box.

Score for Sophie ;-).

• Derek Fairchild
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I will do just that. Thanks Yankee and Sophie!
  • User
    5 years ago

When that Studor goes bad, you’re going to want that cavity to be accessible. And reachable. Think about some kind of removable access panel now.

• Ron Natalie
    5 years ago

I'd do a better job of affixing those wires going to the disposal to the cabinet.

• venmar
    5 years ago

Thank you to all here offering their help , the wisdom of experience and knowledge acquired through the passage of time makes for good outcomes. Yankee4210 thanks for explaining the abbreviation AC in the context of electrical cable. Sophie, myself being on the north side of 30 something myself I also know the term BX and I liked your BX commentary, nice when the threads here give information as well as the occasional chuckle, good reading even when I am not dealing with the problem under discussion.