SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maryashleytucker

Need help with this weird living room space!

maryashleytucker
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

My husband and I bought and moved into our very first home about a year ago-- hooray!

We immediately did a complete kitchen renovation (unplanned) and replaced every inch of the flooring (planned) along with painting and other minor fixes. We are just now getting our minds around continuing to update the house-- starting with the living room.

It's a smaller space, sadly, as we like to entertain. And there is this awkward dead-center fireplace space for a wood-burning stove. We don't have a wood-burning stove or really want one so I've had to get creative with the space-- especially since my husband is dead-set against replacing or covering the rock (not sure that's even possible). In a spur-of-the-moment decision last year, I bought this papasan to increase seating before football season. We actually liked the papasan even if we know it's not exactly the most functional or design-savvy set up. Our TV is mounted on the wall across from the fireplace. We created a passthrough between the kitchen and living room to open up the space. I've thought about maybe replacing the "vintage" (inherited) couch with a sectional that could somehow sit across the fireplace on the ground, but is that weird?? How do I make the most out of this space??

Comments (2)