SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paulgriffith1977

New Build Semi Custom Home Finishes

Paul Griffith
5 years ago

Hello - Having a new semi custom home built. And I'm trying to figure out just how anal I should be about some of the finishes.

Some of the electrical sockets and light switch panels are probably even by most level's that the bubble would stay centered, but using an electric level, they're off by a degree or two.

We have what I thought would be Mirrored electrical sockets in the master bathroom for the his and her sinks. But one socket is maybe 1-2 inches from the corner of the wall, where the "mirrored" side is probably 6-8 inches from the corner. I didn't have a tape measure with me so I'm not positive just how far each is from the intersecting corner. And I'll probably go walk through a couple of the other homes of the same model in our development to compare the same socket in those master baths.

And it appears that one light can in a 3x3 grid in the kitchen may be misaligned. Again, didn't have a tape measure or anything with me to get up on the ceiling to verify.

The master bath shower has a tiled wall, with some accent trim running through about the middle of it. The tile up to where the accent trim has been completed, and I can tell that they don't line up completely even though I'm fairly certain they used spacers to get things even. So its hard to tell just how uneven/bad it will look when the whole thing is completely.

And then there are things that I know we will mention for sure, like an electrical outlet on a wall that is standard, we didn't change, so it should be there, but isn't. There isn't even a cutout in the dry wall. It's in a breakfast nook with 3 walls and open to the kitchen. The other two walls have the sockets already installed, and had cutouts when the dry wall was installed.

As well as a double duplex outlet that we paid extra for that they made a duplex outlet. This is the only reason I caught the above missing outlet error, as I was going through all the standard, changed, and upgraded electrical orders to verify we did order the double duplex outlet.

Looking for opinions on if these are issues I may be being too nit-picky about. If I should be bringing up before our first walk thru (which is still 50 days away), or wait for the walk thru which only gives them 2 days before the second walk thru to fix them. And if some things are unreasonable to demand, like the huge master bath tile wall being 100% in a grid even or the 3x3 grid of ceiling can lights.

Comments (17)