SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annawsul1

Grow light question... thinking ahead

AnnaWSul1 (5a)
5 years ago

Hi all,

wondering what other’s experiences have been with using different types of grow lights/bulbs. I have 2 large 3 tier shelves; a total of 6 fixtures. Each fixture uses 2 T5 fluorescent bulbs. These worked great for me and all my succulents over the winter and were honestly less harmful to my electric bill than I had initially anticipated. Now I’m considering switching the bulbs out for T5 LEDs because they use less energy, last nearly twice as long and produce significantly less heat. Although I know it will be pretty expensive up front to make the switch, it seems like over the long term, LEDs would provide some real savings. However, I have limited knowledge in terms of which, fluorescent or LED, would be more beneficial to my plants and their growth. And I’m not entirely sure of the best way to figure that out. Currently the vast majority my plants are outside for the summer, minus a couple finicky ones, so I have plenty of time to decide and/or chip away at replacing bulbs. Just wondering if there’s anyone who has grown succulents under both fluorescent and LED and if so, did one seem to perform better over the other? Are there any other types of lights that have worked well for you? I’m open to suggestions:)

Thanks a million for any insight!

Comments (10)