SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kevanlewisrealtor

Grow Lights-Dont Want Neighbors to Think I'm growing something illegal

I live in Southern British Columbia in the lower mainland, Zone 8 and I want to start growing a few dwarf citrus trees in my large south facing windows (bay windows with east and west sun as well) in my top (4th floor) floor condo. I understand that citrus trees prefer light from above, rather than the side, so I would like to supplement the natural sunlight with some grow lights during daylight hours in the summer, and probably leave them on for about 12 hours a day in the winter. On a side note, the rest of my houseplants (mostly tropical) would likely benefit from the extra light as well.

My issue comes in the fact that I don't have somewhere else I can move my plants, and I like them where they are, right in the windows, as they are mostly decorative and any fruit I get is really just a bonus (I would like to grow fruit though). If I have purple and blue LEDs going in my living room, this is going to be quite disruptive to my personal enjoyment of my living room, and it might make some of the neighbours think that I am doing something illegal.

My plan is to make the lights somewhat easily removable so that when we have guests over, the lights will not be out and make the living room look not so nice, but when it is just the two of us at home, a string of lights or hanging fixtures won't bother us.

My question is, what would be the best light situation for me, will full spectrum LEDs be quite obvious through the windows? Will they be extremely annoying to be in the main room of our home? Or would some string lights with several CFL bulbs be a better option?

Any suggestions are much appreciated!

Comments (2)