SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mnmamax3

Need a mudroom that actually works!

5 years ago

We have a goofy setup in our mudroom area. We had considered moving the bathroom to the closet with a pocket door along the hallway, but ultimately decided it's not worth the effort and expense for new doors, to rerun plumbing, etc. So we are re-tiling only. We live on a lake, and I requested the doors through the closet and a special balcony built inside the garage for guests to get from front door to backyard (and backyard to bathroom) without traipsing across my kitchen hardwood floors.

I see all the cute mudrooms on Houzz with two jackets, two pairs of shoes and an umbrella. Where is everything else?! Any ideas on how to reorganize the existing space to be more efficient/useful? The small stool is on the corner for putting on shoes mostly because I couldn't figure out what else to do with it (hanging coat arms get stuck in one of many doors, any doors or drawers would open into a walking path). No one really uses the bench because it's usually filled with stuff... jackets, soda to be carried downstairs, returns, etc.... I did have some artwork on the walls but removed for construction/painting.

What I need:

- place for 2 backpacks

- kitty food, water and litter

- place for cleaning supplies

- place for sunscreen/bug spray

- place to stage returns

- place to hang coats for us and guests

- place for shoes - so damn many shoes - and boots

- place for winter gear (hats, mittens, scarves)

- BONUS - place to dry wet hockey gear in the winter

The water fountain needs to be plugged in. The auto feeder can be tucked in somewhere but I need to open it up every two days to clean and fill. I am afraid to relocate this to the laundry room or other space as I don't want him to be locked out if someone accidentally shuts the door. This space has two doors, both of which are generally open. I am not doing a cat cut-out.

We live in MN, so fall and spring mean extra shoes and jackets for everyone (April can be anything from flip flops to winter boots).

(litter box and mat is usually in the section under the red box (which is used for mittens/hats in the winter and flip flops in summer)

Comments (10)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES