SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

Sous Vide thoughts about when people don't like it

plllog
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Tried to post this last night. Houzz thinks it's posted, but it didn't appear in the index. Weird things are afoot...

In Jasdip's cold meat question thread people declared that they didn't care for sous vide meats. I find that interesting because of all things, sous vide is one of the least obvious cooking methods in most applications because the food is sealed away from any influence of the cooking environment other than low level heat. The big exception is with less cooked red meats which are "edge to edge" at the same temperature/color (though may have a thin line of sear on the outside), which is not a normal sight with standard cooking methods. Outside of red meats, it's really hard to tell by looking.

I'm a convert to sous vide for Passover. If I'm cooking sitdown for 2-3 dozen with two main proteins, it's a huge boon. Feedback from the guests is always positive and enthusiastic (I know the difference between polite thanks and true enthusiasm from my kin).

Last year (we didn't have Seder at home this year) it was four rolled and netted turkey breasts and a huge bison chuck roast that I had to whomp into three pieces to fit the bags. The turkey was just cooked with a sprig of herb in the bag (I can't remember what). I do it at the temperature on a reference table to give a texture as if roasted, rather than rare (eew). It does stay quite pink, but not unappetizingly so. The only problem is that having no drying out action from hot air circulation, the turkey was hard to hold to cut cleanly and some of the slices weren't pretty. I used a sharp slicing knife with granton edge. Perhaps a standard carving knife would have been better? People declared it the best turkey they'd ever had. I actually prefer roasted, but I"m not a huge fan of turkey flavor and I think the sous vide did taste more turkeyish. Or maybe it was just those turkeys and what they ate. The chuck was done inspired by Kenji Lopez-Alt, and finished in a low oven, somewhat barbecue style, with a brush of sauce to keep the surface from over drying. It was in the ice chest with the circulator for days. The result was luscious and incredible and SO delicious. Chuck. With sous vide it got to have the ultimate of low and slow.

Sous vide cooking is just an alternative oven. It's up to the cook to use it to make the food come out in an appealing way. To those who declare they don't like sous vide, I say, don't condemn an entire cooking tool on the basis of a few bad dishes... It's worth trying again if you're offered something different than you've had that sounds appealing. And you may already be enjoying food that was cooked sous vide where it just wasn't mentioned on the menu...

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022