SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cfox248

Planted a cherry tree in a pot and sunk in the ground. Why is it dead?

cfox248
5 years ago

So we just bought a house! I planted a cherry tree in a huge pot, and sunk it in the ground. I did this because we plan to re landscape in coming years and I might need to move it, and it figured it would be a few years before the roots fill the pot. It's in free draining soil- potting soil mixed with pine bark fines and perlite. Holes drilled into pot for drainage. Set on three inches of rock and surrounded by mulch for drainage (since the soil is clay). The tree was planted this spring and flowered wonderfully, then only sent out a few sad yellow leaves and died.

I think it was maybe lack of water or fertilizer... Being in a pot in the ground it will need more water than just being in the ground, and I didn't water every day, worrying about over watering. now I'm second guessing the pot thing.. how hard it is to move a Mesabi cherry after a couple years? The soil is heavy, lots of clay especially digging down, I didn't think the cherry would like it. Should I just water the next pot more? Amend the soil and plant in the dirt? I'm a little lost. Is this even a good idea? It's planted in a 4x4 bed raised about 6 inches that used to be lilies.

Comments (3)