SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rideauroselad

The Rose Tour At Summerland Ornamental Gardens

G'day Forum Folk,

Last weekend, I led the first rose tour of the newly revitalized rose beds and newly found and identified lost roses, still a work in progress, at the Summerland Ornamental Gardens up here in the Okanagan of British Columbia. It went extremely well and the dozens of old dowager rose bushes we have lovingly tended last season and this spring have repaid their care with loads of ravishing bloom.

So, after the tour, while I was still basking in the rosey glow of a very successful tour, I wrote a fairly lengthy post fairly heavy with images and hit the submit button. In fact I wrote the post twice. I bet you can guess what happened: exactly nothing, twice. This was when I began to become aware of all the kerfuffel amongst the regular posters regarding the irritating issues with the new Houzz platform.

So, it is a week later and I am hoping things have improved. I am going to post a few images taken just prior to the tour last weekend. Fingers crossed now!

Looking over a field of Shasta Daisies and past a bed of English Roses to the pergola on the edge of the friendship plaza. Many newly identified roses in this bed including The Mayor of Casterbridge, Ambridge Rose, Charlotte and what I suspect is either Charles Austin or Summer Song. We shall see how well it repeats. A huge old plant of Darlow's Enigam grows intertwined with a Honeysuckle on the pergola.

Looking over the main rose bed, just a corner, mostly older English Roses including three shrubs of Graham Thomas, Molineux, Mary Rose, Eglantyne, Gertrude Jekyl, Evelyn, The Dark Lady and quite a few others still to be identified. That is a row of very old La Sevilliana, red and rampant in the back that are planted at least a foot below a stone wall that supports the English Rose bed in the foreground.

Another view of the English Rose bed with a border of the Buck rose Nearly Wild around the edge.

Well, I think I shall hit the submit button now and hold my breath. If you end up reading this, then perhaps the Cyber Gremlins on Houzz have been subdues.

Cheers, Rick

Comments (13)