SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
khrisz

Supplemental Heat for Master Bedroom

khrisz
5 years ago

I moved into an end-unit townhouse last year and found that the first floor master bedroom is considerably colder than the rest of the unit during the winter months. It has windows on two sides and has one heat vent in the bedroom, one in the master walk-in closet (odd, but I keep the door open to take advantage of it), and one in the master bath. The living/dining area has 20' ceilings and an open loft on the second floor. The master bedroom has 10' ceilings. If I set the thermostat for a comfortable temperature in the living/dining area, the bedroom is too cold. If I set it to make the bedroom comfortable, the living/dining area -- and especially the second floor loft and bedrooms, which I don't use -- are too warm.

The kitchen is also cold in the winter but I find that once I start to cook, the stove or oven heats the area up quite quickly so I can live with this.

This is my "forever" home so I don't mind investing in a solution so that I don't have to overheat the main living space (with the accompanying high utility bills) to get the bedroom warm enough. I have a desk area in my bedroom where I spend a lot of time during the day and need it to be comfortable. I tried an inexpensive electric space heater for the bedroom but had to run it for hours at a time to make a different in the temperature. I don't want to increase my electric bill that significantly. Would it be cost effective to have a second vent put in the master bedroom? Are there other supplemental heaters that would not significantly effect my electric bill?

Attached are the plans for the first and second floors. There is also a full, unfinished basement. The basement is virtually all underground and has insulation on all the outside walls. It seems to stay in the 50 degrees range even in very cold weather. I live in Maryland, where winter temperatures are in the 40's usually with cold spells in the 20's and 30's.

Thanks for any suggestions.

P.S. If you remember my thread from last year about the excessive heat in the upstairs bedrooms in the summer, I have solved that problems with both faux blinds and insulated drapes on the west-facing windows that I keep closed all the time. I am able to keep the upstairs only about 5 degrees warmer than the living/dining area. Thanks for that suggestions!

Comments (25)