SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annececilia

Need help to ID this charmer

AnneCecilia z5 MI
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I have photos of a rose that my friend Peggi grows in Traverse City, Michigan. She got it as a start from a woman who did not know its name, and she passed along a piece of it to me years ago. I liked it so much that it was one of the rose that made the cut and was transplanted to my garden when I moved 6 years ago. So I had it growing first in zone 4, where it stayed smallish - about 3' tall and wide, and then moved it to a zone 5 garden where it send out 6' canes (or longer) and threaded itself through a tall hydrangea bush planted next to it. Peggi grows it in a zone 5/almost zone 6 garden where pruning for winter die-back is never needed. It is a monster shrub, mounding on top of itself and she only prunes a bit to shape it. This past winter was a tough one in my garden with unusual repeated and extended thaws followed by sudden deep freezes below zero. This rose, which unfortunately had lost the shelter of its companion hydrangea when I dug that up and moved it last fall, suffered severe cane die back and had to be pruned to the ground. I lost canes on many roses that had up to then been cane hardy in zone 5, so I take that as an anomaly. But in any case, my rose is quite tiny this spring - about 2 x 2' overall, so these photos are all from Peggi's garden. We're hoping someone here will put a name to this rose for us. The blooms are quite small (about 1") and button eyed. There is some fragrance, but nothing remarkable. The main flush is in spring, but there is plenty of re-bloom as the shrub continues to grow and send out new trusses of blooms through the season up until freeze. The leaves are shiny and dark green. We're guessing it might be in the polyantha class? Anyone with any guesses, you're more than welcome! I've not had success adding photos into my original post, so I am going to post this and then add the photos after.
Hoping that works - and thanks for taking the time to read all this and consider.

Anne

Comments (17)