SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
steph8512

Fabricator templated my countertops with tape measure

catinthehat
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I was shocked when I saw this yesterday but I was reassured my project was easy and didn’t require any form of templating beyond a tape measure. Should I be worried? I am thinking of driving over to their office to cancel our deal and get my 50% deposit back.

I have not a clue about stone countertop fabrication, but I did catch what I thought to be a serious red flag: he measured the length and width of my island without measuring the diagonals. I did step out for a few minutes but doubt he did it in that time. He meaured for less than 10 min total. I measured it myself after he left, and while the length and width matched perfectly on each side, the diagonals were 3/4” different, meaning the island is not square.

Anyone who could weigh in on how a fabricator could possibly make up for this?? By my calcs, this comes out to an overhang difference of 1/4” side to side, not exactly what I was paying a premium for. I just don’t get it, he had great references and has a shop with cnc, water jet, etc. What good is all that fancy gear with a lousy template job????

Comments (6)