SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
coopdea

Strangers Walking Through Your Home

coopdea
5 years ago

How do you all feel about strangers walking through your new construction or renovation and around looking and taking pics for their home? Yesterday, I decided to check on my new construction and see how things going. When I pulled up, I noticed a stranger in a golf cart park on my lawn. I got out and she mentions that they are in the neighborhood building a new home and noticed her husband/boyfriend was in my wife's and I home taking pics and looking around. I kindly ask him to leave, but he had the nerves to ask if they can come by during progress to see how things going. I kindly say no again, and please leave. Later, my wife called HOA to speak with them, but come to find they lied, it was another young couple's home as they claim it was theirs. Find out they are going around the neighborhood new construction homes without each of owner permissions to look around and taking pictures.

Comments (39)

• bry911
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I am fine with it. I celebrate people gathering information before making a decision and really if my house inspires them, then great. I would probably give them an email and offer my assistance if they need it. In fact, so long as everyone is out of bed, you can come tour my house today.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    5 years ago

"...Strangers Walking Through Your Home..."

It's why homes have doors...! :-)

• Related Discussions

A walk through the green house.

Q

Comments (8)
    Looks great topher. If you dont mind, can I make a suggestion? It would be better for the plants if you take the blue plastic off and have clear poly. You would increase your solar intake and give your plants a healthier light level. This would help in growth, and over all plant health. For your size greenhouse, it would not cost must to use a good clear poly, double layered.
    ...See More

People walking through our house during build

Q

Comments (11)
    Well I can't speak for other neighborhoods but in our small neighborhood on a cul de sac of 15 houses our builder carries the liability for anyone getting hurt. They normally discourage people from being on the property but they aren't there 24hrs a day. Now as far as kids playing that I don't agree with but I have seen many people through our house during construction while we are pulling up or leaving and the buider's agent even brings people through to see if they like our particular floor plan. We were told by the builder to stay out of the house during the day when construction was going on but also told if we did come by to make sure it was after hours. I'm sure just about everyone in our neighborhood has seen our house just out of curiosity once or twice just I have have seen every house that has been built here as well. Before we started building I was able to walk through someone else's floor plan being built in a different neighborhood to see if we liked the layout physically and not just on paper. Now the builder does usually start to lock them up after drywall but its not everyday as they project manager is on different sites daily and the house does have to be accessbile for subs early in the morning when the work day starts. Also, the project manager doesn't work on the weekends and the house is usually accessible on those days as well since they have subs working on the weekend. As long as the liability didn't fall on us we weren't worried about visitors but once items such as granite, appliances, etc were installed, which of course our builder would have to replace if something was to happen, our house was locked consistently (although not every day bec that is how we still get it to check the updates) daily! Here is a link that might be useful: Our home sell/build blog
    ...See More

Can you really ever stop people......

Q

Comments (111)
    This seems to be an old post resurrected, but a lot has changed with the economy too since this was posted. My neighbor whose build is a bit ahead of mine, has had issues with theft (Rural area, long blind drive). With the current state of our country theft has now become much more of an issue, so how does one distinguish from allowing neighbors or would be thieves scoping out the place? What if it is the neighbors stealing? I was working up at my lot one day and he asked if he could put no tresspassing signs on my lot too, to keep people away from our lots. Very nice of him to be looking out for me too. We also said that we would question people at either of our lots to make sure they belong, in lieu of the thefts. He ran into my brother in law one time, went over, talked to him to see who he was, there were no issues. Even though we are friendly, and look out for one another, I would never go into his house without his permission or him being there. The difference is like me, he is his own GC. If a builder invites you to look at a house or houses he is doing, it is different, because you have been invited, at least by the builder and that is that way builder are able to show off their work. If it was an issue with one of the soon to be owners of the home, most builders would not recommend that home to be viewed.
    ...See More

My house is a stranger

Q

Comments (28)
    Jane, would you mind sharing, or is it too personal? See, I grew up in one of those beautiful two story historical houses on Main Street, small town, USA. Then my parents moved to the lake when I was 18. UGH. I've dreamt of that house numerous times since I've been an adult. It was just beautiful with all the nooks and crannies, window seats, octagon hallways upstairs and down, etc. Big corner lot. So when we remodeled and added on, we kind of turned the front part of the house into an "old" house. Except the outside looks new. We did get a good compliment from the workers, one of them asked us if this was our parents house and were we remodeling for them. lol. IOW,it looked OLD inside because of the arches we added and the colors.
    ...See More
  • just_janni
    5 years ago

Have you closed on the lot? or are you working with a production / neighborhood builder? If the latter - it's not your home yet - and in neighborhoods with builders, this is a common practice. Honestly - it's how many people learn and research, can look at a builder's practices and quality before it's covered with 13 pieces of crown moulding and marble. ;-)

• coopdea
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I own the lot and I just had a deep conversation with my GC with the production of work. That's why the home is open because I have a GC that is not being very productive. You right Virgil, I need my doors...lol

• millworkman
    5 years ago

Your insurance if they get hurt as well. The site should be secure or at the very least no trespassing signs. Production not withstanding, the home is invariably under construction for multiple months when someone could wander in and thru so he could be the most productive GC in the world and the home would still be vulnerable.

• Architectrunnerguy
    5 years ago

And after you move in and go to a neighborhood party, everyone there is saying "Yeah, we went through your house"...."We walked your house a bunch of times"...."Love your kitchen. Bet it looks great with the appliances in!"....etc.

• Pinebaron
    5 years ago

No way! Have 'no trespassing' signs, streaming/recording cameras inside and out and much more. It's a contruction site, a girder or two may fall on your head, you could walk on a nail sticking out of a temporary board the workers pulled out (guess how I know but sheer luck prevented serious injury); in any case one could be asking for a lawsuit if someone got hurt.

• PRO
    M & D Builders
    5 years ago

this is sometime happens.....some people needs to gather information before stepping to another level of deciding about doing the same kind or construction or renovation and the best way to do is get information from any neighborhood projects

• chispa
    5 years ago

We've had long threads about this same subject before. I think some of them were quite entertaining! The opinions, just like the ones here so far, were split, with some being ready to jail the trespassers and others becoming best friends with them!

Here in my area of LA they securely fence lots under construction and padlock the gate when no one is there. Even the builders will send other customers to see the houses they are working on.

• millworkman
    5 years ago

"this is sometime happens.....some people needs to gather information before stepping to another level of deciding about doing the same kind or construction or renovation and the best way to do is get information from any neighborhood projects"

What?

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    5 years ago

"...this is sometime happens.....some people needs to gather information before stepping to another level of deciding about doing the same kind or construction or renovation and the best way to do is get information from any neighborhood projects..."

Maybe the point is that some folks may have never seen a house under construction before...I dunno...!

• Nidnay
    5 years ago

I am ambivalent. Sometime’s I feel perfectly comfortable with the idea, and other times feel annoyed and intruded upon. I have invited my neighbors to come and take a look anytime they want (no need for me to be there), but when I drove up one day and found someone walking around the perimeter of the house, I thought to myself, “what do you think you’re doing?” It’s a small gated community with only 7 homesites (we have almost 7 acres) , so it feels more secluded and more intrusive if there’s a stranger on the property. We have built in typical tract home neighborhoods, and people came through all the time....it didn’t bother me at all. So, I think if I owned the land outright, it would bother me, but if it’s a tract home neighborhood or a situation where the builder owned the land, I would have no problem with it.

• chisue
    5 years ago

ur property extends to the middle of a small, deep set creek to the east. There's a bridge over it. This area is a kid magnet. I was worried that we could be held responsible if something happened to a child playing under the bridge and in the creek, so I inquired about that.

We *are* responsible. We were told to post a No Trespassing sign. Signs are cheap. Lawsuits aren't.

• User
    5 years ago
    We have a no access sign and have deadbolts on the doors. No into intruders
  • vinmarks
    5 years ago

We walked through a few houses that my builder had under construction with the builders permission. We did take pictures. We owned our land outright before building. I'm sure there may have been a few people that went through our house. I know the builder brought someone through. Our house is far back in the neighborhood. The road was new so not many people knew there was even a house being built. The other day I met a soon to be neighbor who owns the lot 1 up from us. I'm pretty sure he had probably been through our house. That didn't bother me but what did bother me is that he knew a lot about us. Apparently he and his wife are from around where we previously lived. He had some governmental job and access to some kind of records and did a little snooping on us as well as other people in the neighborhood.

• opaone
    5 years ago

Around here the general thing is that it's best to ask first, but otherwise relatively OK to wander through during framing but not once doors and windows are in. Our builder has a couple of cameras on our site so they know anytime anyone wanders through. Someone reviews them just to make sure there's no mischief but otherwise don't get too concerned. There's an expectation that some neighbors will wander through.

We thought about putting a sign up saying that if they'd email then we'd be glad to meet them at the site to show them around.

• User
    5 years ago

The amount of liability you have depends on whose insurance is covering the build. If the contractor provided the insurance, you actually have no ability to order people off the property since the property is under the control of the builder. If you hired the builder and have a builders loan, you do have ownership. If that is the case, you need to provide protection for the site to minimize injuries.

I have wandered through new builds, with and without permission. Never without permission when the structure is dried in(doors and windows installed) whether locked or not. Never had a problem. And I would have a problem with people who did that on my build---but, when doors and windows are installed, locks go on and are locked.

Locally, a locked gate is No Trespassing---no sign necessary. I would think that may also cover new builds---locked doors mean No Trespassing.

• dragonflywings42
    5 years ago

Vinmarks, Wow about your snoopy neighbor! I guess there isn't much anyone can do these days about "privacy" when so much information is available online, but to have a stranger start to discuss things they know about you is downright creepy. I knew two people who got fired from their jobs because they wrongfully accessed and then used private information to further their own agendas.

• Val B
    5 years ago
    I wouldn't like it. My contractor asked our permission before ever walking potential clients through our apartment. A couple years ago when my kids were home with the babysitter and another kid came over with her babysitter for a play date, the other kid's mom and grandmother decided to also come over and walk through my apartment to see my renovation. I would have gladly walked them through if they asked, but it was completely intrusive. I was at work and my bedroom was not as tidy as I would have liked (with certain personal items out).
  • bry911
    5 years ago

As for insurance and injuries...

Anyone who comes on your property uninvited is a trespasser. You generally don't owe a duty of reasonable care to trespassers. However, there is a duty to warn them of danger if you are aware of, or should reasonably expect, trespassers.

I would argue that the existence of a construction site is sufficient warning, but to be safe you should post Danger signs. Please note, no trespassing signs offer no protection if you are aware of trespassers.

You are much more liable for a construction worker getting hurt on your site than you are a trespasser.

The one exception to this is attractive nuisance, in which case you should adequately fence the entire construction site as other measures are likely insufficient.

• Suru
    5 years ago

In my area, walking through homes under construction is a Sunday past time LOL. It's what everyone does around here. A bit intrusive, yes, but I'm completely guilty of walking through other's houses without permission too. I know that hundreds of people walked through my home while it was being built. I owned the lot and was the GC so I took out lots of insurance and posted many "danger - construction site" and "no trespassing" signs just to be safe, but still, hundreds of people walked through. There was no way to stop it, unless I fenced the entire project, and still, I think people would have found a way in.

There was only one time when we came to work on Monday and found some minor damage that I'm positive was done by some neighborhood kids. I quickly posted on my community's Facebook page about the dangers of our site and not to let kids play on my property. That seemed to do the trick as it never happened again.

For the first few weeks after we moved in, all of our neighbors within two blocks of us, the mailman, the UPS guy, the FEDex guy, plus random subcontractors working on houses in the neighborhood knocked on our door and wanted a tour. One day we had 8 different groups! I gladly obliged and after a few weeks, it all stopped. I think people are just curious and we really didn't mind showing off our house :-)

• RaiKai
    5 years ago

I expect people walk through mine. I know a friend of mine has as she told me. I am sure our neighbours and other future neighbours building on close by lots have gone through. Ours has just been insulated and poly’d but sometimes it is locked, sometimes not, so I am sure people go through.

Our builder has all builders risk insurance on it, and we are additional insureds on their policy, but we also added our own insurance once we got title (builder owned lot for first couple months of build). I am building on a street where there is one completed house, a few in various stages of completion, and a lot more to come. I totally have gone and snooped in them once they were framed (but not closed in). I feel a little weird going in them any further than that especially if they have a “Sold” sign on them.

• chispa
    5 years ago

Val B, I think your example is completely different as you were living in the apartment. That mother and grandmother were way out of line to give themselves a tour of your home. I would have made sure they never got to see the finished product!

• Mrs Pete
    5 years ago

I am fine with it. I celebrate people gathering information before
    making a decision and really if my house inspires them, then great.

I'm with you -- while the house is still in the framing stage /doesn't have doors yet. Once the doors are up, then it's creepy to go into someone else's half-done house.

As for someone being injured, possibly but unlikely. I think most people would be ashamed to admit that they were on your property and would not tell anyone. If they did, you could countersue for tresspassing. Most ridiculous lawsuits (i.e., hot coffee) are tossed out of court.

• RaiKai
    5 years ago

Mrs. Pete - except the hot coffee was not tossed out of court. She won compensatory damages & punitive damages. One significant issue was there had been complaints of burns by other customers for a long time before that one happened (and settlements) and the warnings were inadequate for how hot the coffee actually was.

Nothing ridiculous about third degree burns to pelvic area, thighs & genitals, skin grafting, hospitalization, and two years of medical treatment. I won’t post the pictures here, but you can find them on the Internet. Her burns were horrific.

Funny thing is initially all she asked McDonalds for was to help her pay her medical bills (after insurance). They refused.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebeck_v._McDonald's_Restaurants

Not sure what countersuing for trespassing where you are would get you - here not much unless they damaged your property. Could claim contributory negligence though.

• Mrs Pete
    5 years ago

I mentioned the hot coffee because it seems to stand out in the public's collective mind as an example of a frivolous lawsuit ... and my point is that such things are rare ... and it's more rare still that such things result in negative consequences for property owners. I just don't think you're in terrible danger if someone comes onto your property.

• mojomom
    5 years ago

Just as an aside, as a defense lawyer I detest frivolous lawsuits and there are many. However, I attended a seminar that discussed the hot coffee case for two hours and it was more complex and not as frivolous as commonly believed. Also I saw the burn pictures and they were horrible.

On topic, we really had no problem with people walking through our property as it was being built. Some did and told us about it later, but it wasn't a big deal to us. We've also walked through a few, but usually we knew either the builder or the architect and had been told to take a look around.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    5 years ago

When my parents built our new house in the town to which my father was transferred, there was still a LOT of building going one. It was that time's version of "binge watching", to walk through all the houses every few weeks and see the progress and what it was going to look like. No one could have cared less.

• User
    5 years ago

Thank you Rai Kai. Skin grafts are no laughing matter. She offered to settle for her medical costs - the deductibles and copays. About 20k. The establishment declined.

• jmm1837
    5 years ago
    Interesting. Here in Australia, building sites must have temporary fencing erected from day 1, and the fencing has to be locked when no one is working on the site, so random walkabouts aren't really an issue. As an aside, all the building sites in our current neighborhood have a CCTV camera and alarms system installed once framing starts.
  • Sam Goh
    5 years ago

I guess I'll go with the golden rule here. My wife and I love walking homes to get ideas and so we don't mind if someone else does the same to ours.

Main thing is, how can you really keep them out effectively - till way past the dry in stage?

• homechef59
    5 years ago

Years ago, we built a home in a basic subdivision. In the evenings after dinner, we would go over there to see what the builder had done during the week. We wandered all over the neighborhood building sites. Given the circumstances and the fact that all of the under construction houses were open, it never occurred to me that anyone would object.

Fast forward to our building custom home on a 20-acre farm. Our next door neighbor, also on 20 acres, apparently was going through our under construction home without our knowledge. Our builder caught him. This soon-to-be neighbor was also a builder. He was peeved that we hadn't used him. He was going through our house measuring it because he thought what we were building didn't meet the deed restrictions for minimum square footage. The house did meet the minimum. It really wasn't any of his business. But this guy was an awful snob and had built a McMansion. We think he was concerned that his awful house value would be diminished. After we found out, relations were cold.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    5 years ago

Look at it this way: It is better for strangers to walk through your unfinished home, than have them walk through your finished home.

• artemis_ma
    5 years ago

Back when I was a kid, my parents would go through barely-framed homes in the neighborhood just out of curiosity. (Sometimes they'd take me, too. I enjoyed seeing how the bones were put together, kinda like how I liked seeing how our roast chicken was put together when we carved and ate it. No wonder I majored in Biology...)

My feeling is... once doors start going up, don't. Locked or not. Or if there are signs, respect those.

I didn't mind that others saw mine in the early stages. In fact, I told barely-met neighbors to take a peek.

• bluesanne
    5 years ago

Reason #13,829
    Why I Am Going To Hell

When I was growing up, our community was still semi-rural, and houses were put up individually rather than in developments.

A home construction site was a wonderment to all of us kids, and every evening we explored, no matter what stage the house was in. We climbed scaffolding, crawled across joists and rafters, and committed all sorts of dangerous feats — the riskier, the better. The houses were all far enough apart that we were out of sight of any parents.

Now I cringe thinking of what we did, but it is a bit better than
    Reason #13,830
    Why I Am Going To Hell

In this one, some horses were kept by absentee owners in a nearby pasture, and my sister and I snuck over to ride them. Now, as a horse owner, I am horrified that I did this!

• Nicole R Dsp
    5 years ago
    I feel like a hypocrite because with the builder we are using we were bable to your homes and floor plans which helped us in our current decision. However, now that we are getting ready to break ground I’m reluctant for people to tour our house. I suspect we will be there a lot on weekends to be doing fence work etc so maybe it won’t be so constant haha
  • PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    5 years ago

Nothing wrong letting someone see your house under construction for as long as the homeowner doesn't mind and gave permission, the contractor says it's ok to see it because it is safe to do a supervised walkthrough (he knows best when its safe and when isn't).

People who enter any private property under construction on their own without permission lack common sense, especially when some bring kids with them and let them run around without supervision while they walking around... They have no clue whats going on there and you hear lots of horror stories when people get hurt or worst wondering around construction sites.

Here is a perfect example, a while back someone went to look at the townhouse they wanted to purchase, it was almost completed. The day before they installed a counter on the raised bar counter, and it wasn't finished the support brackets weren't installed.

The couple entered the house to see it on their own without an appointment, the husband leaned on the bar counter, the granite flipped and slid down crushing his toes and few of them had to be severed.

Even when you go to someone house, how many times someone told you "watch your head there is a low ceiling there" or "watch your step for one reason or another" etc. Without knowing some will take a nose dive or bang their head.

You cannot trespass private property without asking permission or any construction site without supervision. Period.

• C Marlin
    5 years ago

Thought of this thread today as my DH went to see the work on our house and found our new neighbors inside touring house. This is not new construction, we moved out as our remodel is extensive, the touring couple just closed a few doors away, they know we're not living here as we met them on the street a few days ago. I'm sure they thought they were safe walking through the house, my DH drove up to check on things and found them in a back bedroom. They were extremely embarrassed and babbled about every room, clearly they would have been better off keeping their mouth shut, but their embarrassment kept them talking. In the end I don't personally care, I strongly dislike their presumption, now I know to steer clear of them in the future. I'm sure we'll laugh about it for some time.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH