SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
josh1r

Watering schedule question for a large lawn (with no irrigation)

John Thomas
5 years ago

Hi all. My front yard alone is about 150' by 75'. Right now I'm using a combination of 3 oscillating sprinklers and 1 impact sprinkler (I have a 4-hose splitter/timer) and it roughly covers the whole yard (at least close enough).

In any case, my problem is that I have to run each sprinkler for 2-3 hours (or more) to get anywhere near an inch of water. Of course that's not easy with 4 sprinklers as they'd be running for half a day if I ran them one at a time for 3 hours each. I usually just end up overlapping and doing something like this:

zone 1 from 5 am to 7 am

zone 2 from 6 am to 8 am

zone 3 from 7 am to 9 am

zone 4 from 8 am to 10 am (this one is the impact sprinkler as I don't like to start it too early and annoy the neighbors)

As you can see, aside from the 1st and last hour, there is always overlap, so the pressure/coverage to each one is reduced (though still not bad and I have it laid out pretty well to still cover almost everything, but of course they're each getting less water so should really probably go for 3-4 hours).

Do you have any suggestions on what I can do different/better?

I don't believe it's good to start as early as 3 or 4 am, but maybe I'm wrong.

Should I just run it as noted above in the morning, and then again that evening (or the evening before and then in the morning)? Should I run it as above in the morning for 2 mornings in a row?

The problem with running it at night is that I'd have to start at 2 PM in order to end by 7 PM, at which points it's a little late to be watering.

I also prefer if possible to do it once and done (so I can then put everything away for a week), rather than keeping everything on the lawn for more than a day.

I'm in CT.

Thanks for any thoughts/suggestions!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting