SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosefolly

Houzz changes, and what to do about it

Rosefolly
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

A dozen or so years ago I worked for a company with an online database that was used interactively by a segment of the public. We did software updates (which we called "installs") from time to time, sometimes to fix problems our users did not even know existed. Other times it was to add enhancements they may or may not have known were needed. No matter how carefully we tested advance - and we always tested extensively - there would be unintended consequences. If these consequences were paralyzing, we would have to back out the entire install and try again with a new install later. But most of the time the problems could be repaired by a small update. This could take hours or days to take place, and occasionally weeks. We were a smallish company, probably about the size of Houzz I would imagine.

We did not know about the consequences until users reported it to us. Sometimes our computer staff thought everything was just fine, but that was because they did not use the database the way the users did. That is the point of this note. If Gardenweb forums are not working the way we want them to, it is really important to contact Houzz customer support and explain in accurate detail what you used to be able to do and now cannot. We've already had some important improvements, alphabetical listing of forums being one, and pages listed numerically at the bottom of the screen being another. As I understand it, this is a direct response to user complaints.

But don't contact them and say that you want it to go back to the way it used to be. They are not going to do it. I grumble mightily whenever my local grocery store rearranges items on the shelves, but they are going to do it anyway. They, and Houzz, had reasons for what they did, even if it is only too look fresh and up-to-date, and they are not going to change it back because it annoys me to have to look around for what I want to find. (Which it does.)

Personally, I suspect that these changes were made to make it fit in better with the main Houzz website. It is probably very labor intensive to maintain two websites that are not functioning in a coordinated fashion. Just my best guess.

Rosefolly

Comments (44)