SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dsimber

Cold room needs warmth to make this a home!

dsimber
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I thought I had posted my current design dilemma, but I do not see it, so I’m trying again. The photo below was taken just after moving the furniture from my house to an apartment where I will be for the next two years.

I need help with choosing an area rug*, two cube ottomans, as well as pillows, throws and artwork. The accent colors that I think will work best are aqua, blue, and green. I also need two tables to replace dark cherry tables as well as more contemporary lamps, perhaps one in an arch style. (Not yet hung when this photo was taken is shown is a large abstract acrylic painting in soft aqua and neutrals. It now hangs between the windows and doors.)

What you see is about one-fourth of the open floor plan. I thought it was beautiful until I actually moved in. The floors are off-white Italian porcelain tile. The 10’ walls as well as wood work are painted a medium taupe, and I cannot change them. Also “fixed” are the eleven windows/French-style doors treated with wood blinds of a medium maple or cherry tone. I do not know if I would be allowed to add sheers or drapes stacked on the ends of each set of windows to break up what feels so boring. (White blinds and white woodwork would have been my preference!)

The main furniture pieces for the contemporary/transitional living area (brought from my house but less that two years old) consist of a tweed sofa in cream, taupe, gray, and charcoal, and two matte-black leather chairs. I have a platinum gold-leaf end table with a marble top which I love. The oval, glass-topped coffee table has a metal base that is copper brown with touches of verdigris and brass (all dull finishes.) I am open to changing the coffee table, perhaps to an ottoman; everyone in my family likes to put up his feet!

The 50” flat screen, formerly wall-mounted, is currently on a black console table which will go to the foyer once I find something that will fit better in the room.

In the photo below I have tried an alternate arrangement so the chairs face the sofa. It makes a cozier seating area, but the tv in front of the windows is not ideal.

The area rug* will need to be approximately 10’ x 12’ and needs to be pet-friendly for visiting little dogs. Online reading (https://www.queenbeeofhoneydos.com/pet-proof-rugs) has led me to look for a "backless” polypropylene rug for easy cleaning. And easiest to keep stains from showing would be a pattern in mid-tones. I want the rug pull together the taupe sofa and black chairs, but patterns in such a large area rug scare me, I will admit.

Any advice out there would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Comments (133)

• dsimber
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Just saw an idea for end of island. Looks good, but wouldn't take up much of the space I was trying to fill. Maybe that's okay. Maybe it would be just enough. But it works because it blends with the chairs. Not sure I can add that's something I can add to my style. Had planned on clear acrylic, so this would be a very different look. Thoughts?

My Houzz: Pretty Tropical Touches in South Carolina · More Info

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    5 years ago

you need to try it, to see, Im not sure how many stools you are planning to add.

dsimber thanked RL Relocation LLC
  • Related Discussions

please help me make my living room less "cold" feeling .

Q

Comments (6)
    The built-in is beautiful. I have never seen an application like that. Unfortunately, it only accentuates the vault and all that wall with NOTHING. SOOO much wall and really nothing to be done with it. Interesting visual--your clocks, but I think they would make a bigger statement if displayed closer together. To me shelves are for books--mostly so I want to see a few of yours with some books, just because that is expected. The larger couch does appear to be too far away to really watch TV from. What is behind it? Is that a wall? Perhaps moving it in a closer L with the love seat would cozy things up and give you a new space for a games table or sofa table?
    ...See More

What paint color to add warmth to a new construction home?

Q

Comments (3)
    Your home is lovely and I'm not sure we understand what exactly you are trying to do. As for warming it up, choose accessories in warmer tones. Maybe a couple of bright easy chairs in coral? What colors do you like and make you happy? Those are the colors you should bring in. I wouldn't paint the dining room trim dark. Since it's an open plan keep the trim the same throughout. You can add drama with a bold print between the two windows. Everything seems so tasteful now you don't need to start over, just add in some color. Don't give up on the forum. Try cross posting over on Home Decorating.
    ...See More

Show us: what else beside books gives your home warmth?

Q

Comments (27)
    Texture. Imperfections. Worn antiques. A few dings and scratches. Some whimsy and quirkiness. And some broken decorating "rules." Music. Sunlight, and various levels of lamp light at night. And yes: books, animals, pillows and throw blankets, art and souvenirs from travel. When we moved, I got rid of almost any decorative item/tchotcke that didn't have meaning. You know, the place fillers from Home Goods or Target. That said, we still have a ton of stuff. Kids' old clay creations are on display along with souvenirs from trips and framed photos and books and... but I do think all that stuff adds warmth and personality to a space, as long as it doesn't go overboard into hoarderdom!
    ...See More

Fireplace is making my house cold

Q

Comments (4)
    First suggestion is to add Fireplace Glass Doors to keep the air from coming in and out of your chimney. If you post some pictures of your fireplace, I can show you how various doors will look with our FREE Fireplace Door Design Service.
    ...See More
  • annztoo
    5 years ago

I haven't read all the responses, but if you're looking for an inexpensive, contemporary rug, have you looked at rugs on Overstock .com website? Also, check out the rugs at storefronts like Home Goods. I've seen some nice rugs there.

dsimber thanked annztoo
  • dsimber
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Oh my. I just looked back at the floor plan reconfigured and posted by RL on Tuesday. I had not noticed you moved the sideboard! (How did I miss that?) That looks like such a good use of space, but because I have not made a floor plan that shows my furniture to scale, you can't see that it would block the traffic flow. I do so appreciate your efforts and wish I knew how to use that program. What is it? Is it easy to learn?

• dsimber
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I'm excited because I visited two design studios yesterday while visiting my son and his wife over the 4th, and I bought a few accessories. I know that you're all saying "What is she doing?! She's supposed to be taking care of the area rug!!!" But I was so drawn to this vignette on a sideboard; it is a rare thing for me to just know immediately that I'm going to love something. I do have them on approval, so if they don't look right in my space, I can make the four-hour round trip to return them. If I like them as much as I think I will, I'll post a photo. Maybe by tonight. I'm still out of town.

I keep going back to this photo (reposted below) which I now consider the best of anything in my files to show where I want to go, given that it has the walls and floors I must work with in this temporary apartment.

I'm very aware that for many of you, this will be too neutral. I enjoy being in other places that are colorful, but that is not what feels right to me for my own home. I've looked at hundreds if not thousands of photos with an open mind, and almost without exception, the “rooms” I’ve saved are neutral.

I have spoken with five designers in their studios in the past month. Guess what? Each of them said she still designs rooms with my "colors." Yes. You read that right. Each considers white, off-white, beige, gray, and black to be colors. And to be classic...timeless...never out of style.

I like one of the designers a lot; I had worked with her at my former home...it’s just that she is not in the same city. But she gets me. She is looking for textures including velvet, sheepskin, and/or faux fur (but only the ones that have an incredibly soft hand.)

• dsimber
    Original Author
    5 years ago

For me, this inspiration photo reads "cozy and warm." I love these pillows and the throw on a sofa so similar to mine.

Correction: In an earlier post I identified this area rug to be for sale at RH. I was wrong. It is from a local furniture store. And it’s viscose, unfortunately, so it is not an option...viscose does not score well for cleanability.

And then there is the one photo that I keep coming back to:

It's only part of a room...but this is what I love so very much. I didn't buy that [impractical] white sofa...but next time, I will! Someone earlier in this thread reassured me that I could still get this look. So...I feel like the way to do that will be to add drapery panels that pick up on my sofa color and to have at least one pillow like that made for my sofa. I'm thinking cotton velvet or a faux suede.

I want to carry the sofa color to the chairs, and the chair color to the sofa. I’ve seen a post about getting that balance when there is a high contrast between upholstered pieces, and I liked it.

The sofa is not deep; larger pillows from my previous sofa do not fit on this one. Max size is 20” square. How much smaller for a third pillow? I want people to be able to sit without having to move pillows. So three?

Can you help me out, please? Do I have to choose the look from just one of the two photos of pillows on sofa? Or is there a way I can have both looks?

I still need two lumbar pillows for the two black leather chairs. katinparadise shared this idea:

I'll need to see this after getting the sofa looking right.

My next task is to schedule delivery of the first rug which I'm taking on approval. Wouldn't it be awesome if the first choice is "just right.?" I promise to post photos.

Thanks to anyone who likes working with neutrals and has ideas about what I'm trying to do with the sofa pillows based on those two photos. (-;

• katinparadise
    5 years ago

If your max size for pillows is 20", you could do a third in a 16". That would let the other pillow show behind it if you plan on layering them. Mixing and matching pillows is something I love to do. I don't see any reason why you can't do the same.

dsimber thanked katinparadise
  • dsimber
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thx!

• dsimber
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The painting would be replaced with a taller piece...but I think these accessories are too large for my sideboard )-:

• Laura Hill
    5 years ago
    Following...
  • katinparadise
    5 years ago

I agree. They seem a bit overwhelming in proportion to the size of the sideboard.

• dsimber
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks, katinparadise, for the affirmation. It's disappointing in that I really loved those shapes. Maybe a designer in the studio can locate similar pieces that are appropriately scaled.

• dsimber
    Original Author
    5 years ago

As long as we're on the subject of my sideboard, I will ask for ideas for the bottom shelf. I do not like the current arrangement. Any suggestions?

• dsimber
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Moved back the vase and the Ansel Adams. Added some shiny things to top vignette. Please click to see bottom shelf. Better, I think. Working with what I have until I figure this out.

• katinparadise
    5 years ago

Better. How do you feel about nothing on the bottom shelf?

i love the Ansel Adams but IMO, you definitely need something larger when you find exactly the right thing.

• dsimber
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I had tried it with this painting, but it seemed top heavy. Suggestions for shape and size?

• katinparadise
    5 years ago

That size and shape are perfect, IMO. Perhaps it feels heavy because there's not as much contrast with the furniture as the Ansel Adams.

• dsimber
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Asking for votes on size, shape, and contrast of wall art, please...please click on each to see in full...items on sideboard can be changed...

2)

3) I could re-hang if this is better:

4) Or this:

• Laura Hill
    5 years ago
    Count me in for a vote for #4!
    dsimber thanked Laura Hill
  • katinparadise
    5 years ago

I like #4 as a composition just leaning as opposed to hanging. I enjoy the overlap of the artwork on the mirror.

• dsimber
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Two votes for #4...here's a photo that shows ceiling height, as well:

• dsimber
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks for the feedback, Laura Hill and katinparadise. I appreciate your time and thoughtfulness.

Now that I have lived with the new rearrangement of the furniture in the living area, I know that I really like it; the chairs are cozier, and it feels less insititutional. Thank you, RL. [However, the dining table had to go back to its original location to allow for traffic flow.}

But now I have a new problem with the area rug. The new arrangement changed the proportions as far as keeping the front legs of the chairs as well as the sofa on the area rug. The one I had selected is not available in custom sizes. I think I will need to have one cut and bound by a carpeting store. So...starting all over. Sigh.

• dsimber
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Transforming ideas. However, this is a temporary rental apartment. I am not allowed to change wall color, etc.

• User
    5 years ago

Seriously, stop posting the random ads for your wrinkled wallpaper on the threads here your not even giving advice for the particular space, it's getting annoying.

dsimber thanked User
  • dsimber
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Must thank Mon for calling out the mural/wallpaper "pusher" who subsequently deleted the post.

• dsimber
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Due to standard area rug size not working, and the fact that I need something almost square, I think I'll need to have a carpet cut and bound. I'm wondering if I should go for this look, shared previously:

Same wall color as my room. My porcelain tile is lighter, and it's doesn't vary from tile to tile as in photo...it's all the same [very light] color. But I don't have the pops of white in the sofa and chair cushions, not the fireplace surround, ceiling accents, and sheers of this room.

I could perhaps get more of that effect by adding light pillows and throws. Add folded off-white throw down center of each black leather chair. Sofa is a warm beige, lighter than wall color, but is just the right tone. Because it's tweed, I feel I will have to go with a solid color rug; variation of color in fiber strands conflicts with the tweed of the sofa. Maybe my rug could be similar to the main color in this photo, that is, not the color of the border. I've had the Pottery Barn sample home, and it works very well with wall color and the sofa, so I could probably use that sample to try to match at the carpet sotre?

If I were to get rug (without the border) might that be too close in color to my sofa? which is not white or off-white as the one in this photo.) Some are one color, but are sculpted so there is a pattern. Color for the room would come through art.

Or should I go lighter and then have lighter drapes, too. Would that help lighten/brighten the room?

I've now moved the blue tape (since the furnishings have been moved.) In these photos, the tape marks an 18" border between walls and rug. I could go with 12" border instead.

Thoughts, please, about how I can get calm and serene, yet cozy and interesting room? RE: area rug and drapes? Lighter? Darker? Choose drapes that [nearly] match rug color? Or lighter drapes than rug color?

Thank you to those who can envision textures coming to the rescue!

• dsimber
    Original Author
    5 years ago

[Although the area rug must be the next step, another idea has come to mind for the tv console, thanks to a lot of time spent online. I'm not sure where I found this photo, but I like this sleek look:

Mine must be shorter...I think 43" and gray may not be the right color, but I do love this with the art above.

• katinparadise
    5 years ago

A sleeker console could definitely work in the space. You should look for something that would put the center of the t.v. screen at eye level when seated.

The area rug size you have taped out seems to work well.

As far as drapes, I really think something close to the wall color would work. A pretty linen or faux linen in a natural color should fit the bill.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    5 years ago

I like this lower, sleeker TV console better than the other one, which seems too high. For drapes, definitely go lighter in a cream linen-type material. That will go with everything you have and yet give a warmer, lighter feel.

I like the crisp Ansel Adams photo best; only you can decide if there should be more height. The remainder of the styling in the pictures below that looks too furniture-store contrived, without warmth or personality. Your personal vision is what is important, not just something that looks good and is on trend. Anyone can do that.

Blues and aquas somehow don't look right in your space; I'm seeing lemon yellow velvet pillows which look fabulous with gray furniture, although I'm not quite sure what color yours is. I like the white fur pillow quite a lot also.

dsimber thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • dsimber
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I'm happy to receive encouragement about the photo of the tv console I posted on July 13. Thank you, katinparadise and ingrid. I don't know where to find a quality version of this style; I want good materials and good craftsmanship, so I need to see it to buy it. Any suggestions?

• dsimber
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Having now returned from a wonderful hiking and photography trip to Rocky Mountain National Park, I must now face the area rug!

I had been leaning toward one these two, both of which have color variation including some aqua, and subtle patterns not present in my furniture:

Unfortuantley, my room shape is much more square than I can get in an area rug unless I place a special order, and I cannot justify that expense for a temporary (one or two years) apartment. I think my only option is to purchase carpeting that I can have bound. I have done this in the past for a 12' x 13' family/sunroom, and I chose a wool that looked like sisal. It had a small 1-inch square pattern created by two sizes of loops, and it was cut on the edge of the squares, so it had a finished look.

The furniture and style for my new space is totally different. I've looked at carpets such as a flotaki that would add texture and warmth, but a long shag is not dog-friendly! (Remember my granddogs?)

As I recall from my research about dog-friendly rugs, it needs to be a dense cut-pile no more than 3/4 inch in thickness with no loops. It can be an even height, or it can be high-low to create a pattern such as "waves."

A reminder of what the room looks like:

And of the sofa fabric (tweed) with other samples that were considered when I was ordering. Note: the color that pops out is a warm tan with yellow undertones.

Thoughts or suggestions, please? What carpeting can I have bound so that it is square and dog-friendly? I'm striving to achieve a calm, serene, yet cozy space. I want it to ground and tie together what is currently "floating" furniture.

Thank you for helping me!

• katinparadise
    5 years ago

Would you consider doing another wool look sisal for this room? It would certainly be neutral enough that you could use it in another application when you move again.

• dsimber
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hmmmmm. I hadn't thought of that, kat. Trying to visualize, which is difficult for me, I just did a quick look back to find the rendering by celerygirl, copied below. Below that is a second photo that caught my eye. Do you think either of these is a close approximation to a wool sisal? The one I had, but chose not to move across the country, was very soft underfoot. That room was very cozy and warm [but the furniture was very different than what I now have....more color--caramel and green teal with some pattern, too.] I want "warm and cozy" from textures this time.

• dsimber
    Original Author
    5 years ago

While I work on finding a carpet to have bound, my mind is turning back to the thought of having the cherry case goods re-finished. I've had these for almost twenty years and they will be passed down to my son who is not yet ready for a house. Due to moves, the table top has been scratched, so I must have someone refinish it. Maybe the sideboard, too...I'm not sure.

I've thought of having pieces painted black, but I struggled with the very idea of painting over such beautiful wood. Last night, I saw this photo online, and I started wondering about STAINING the wood black so the grain can still be seen.

I happen to be with my sister right now, and her thought is that the wood is a neutral and serves as a backdrop for the art. In that case, having the wood stained black would provide less contrast with the art. So maybe I'll just have the table refinished similarly to what it is now (I know that it won't be exactly the same.)

[My sister had not been following, so I reviewed this thread with her today. She likes the latest arrangement over the sideboard. Next to the mirror is a print of the ceiling in the Frank Lloyd Wright-designed Guggenheim in NY. I love art and architecture. She noted that the curves pick up on what I liked about the round piece I had tried but found that it was too large in scale. I love that we all notice different things! By the way, I have another mirror that is slightly smaller with a frame that is dark brown, wider, and more textured than the one I have there right now. But I'm traveling so it will be awhile before I'm home to try it.

I'm interested in your feedback on refinishing the table (and possibly the sideboard.)

Thanks!

• katinparadise
    5 years ago

The first picture you posted of celerygirl's rug does not resemble a wool sisal to me. The second, although it appears to be a natural seagrass, is probably closer to how it would look. To be honest, I love the rug that celerygirl posted.

Although that is a beautiful finish, there's something so warm and classic about your cherry wood furniture. I'm afraid that adding a dark finish like that would make the room seem a bit harsh, if that sounds right.

• dsimber
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi, Kat! Yes, I just revised my most recent post and explained my sister's reaction. I agree with you...I'm just less happy with it right now because the wall color does nothing to enhance it. Everything just falls flat. But I must remember that this is a temporary apartment!

I, too, love celerygirl's rug!!! She did not mention a source, and I have not seen or heard from her since that post. Might someone please help me out with that?

• katinparadise
    5 years ago

I think you may be less happy with it because the room gives off a different vibe than does the cherry. IME, the cherry just adds a beautiful touch of warmth. I also think that adding a rug will make so much difference.

I can't begin to guess where that rug is from. There are literally 10's of 1000's of options online. I mainly use RugsUSA and Rugs Direct but as I said, so many options.

• dsimber
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I wonder...does anyone out there know how to reach celerygirl?

• katinparadise
    5 years ago

I just found her on another post and asked her to come on back over!

• dsimber
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks, Kat!!! The next hoop now will be whether or not I can get it in a size that works.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    5 years ago

I am here...but thread so big! I can not follow from beginning.

dsimber thanked Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
  • PRO
    5 years ago

My rug is from Room and Board,

Safi rug

https://www.roomandboard.com/catalog/rugs/patterned-rugs/safi-rugs

pretty pricey. :-((

• PRO
    5 years ago

I like your idea to get floor carpet and hem it. I think it is not pricey and if something would go wrong with dogs you can replace it.

• dsimber
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you, celerygirl! And thank you, Kat, for finding her!

Wow! I love this rug even more now that I know it is 97% wool! It would be so soft and beautiful!!!

The largest size appears to be 9' x 12' but I'm pretty sure I need 12' x 13' to have at least the front legs of both the sofa and the chairs on the rug. (I won't be home for awhile to re-measure.)

Photos from Room and Board, thanks to celerygirl and katinparadise.

Note that in the first photo, the sofa is not on the rug, and in the second photo, the two side-by-side chairs are not on the rug.

I've almost always read that if at least the front legs of sofa AND chairs are not on the rug, the room looks smaller and the furniture not on the rug looks like it is floating.

Below is a screenshot from Room and Board on how to choose a rug size:

My furniture cannot be arranged like this due to size and layout of the room as well as window placement. If this is one of those "rules to be broken," would anyone please help me understand? The above photos that show the rug are good examples, but what makes these work? And would it work in my space?

There are several other drawbacks I need to consider:

1) As celerygirl wrote, it is pretty pricey;

2) I don't know if it's the right color, but I could order a sample; and

3) I have the occasional visit from granddogs, and even small amounts of pet urine may be difficult to clean from wool. Does anyone know?

Oh, but celerygirl, your rendering makes this look so right for my room!!!

• PRO
    Restoration Simpatico
    5 years ago
    I think need a large area rug with some texture to it and then replace the glass coffee table with a wood one.
    dsimber thanked Restoration Simpatico
  • dsimber
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks, R. Simpatico.

The rug suggested by celerygirl has more texture than it appears:

It is wool and nylon, and it appears "backless." All of those are features which make it easier to clean. The fringe (oddly, I think) is only on one end...and I like that as I can put that under the chairs where it won't look messy.

Re: the coffee table, this is my inspiration photo for an arrangement of a "coffee table" and two square ottomans in lieu of one large ottoman:

Can you visualize this in my room? (See photo below.)

Here's what I like about it:

1) the flexibility of two ottomans for use with the chairs when my family is home

2) the airiness of this arrangement (instead of the two cube ottomans I'd planned)

3) the way this "square" would complete the middle of the room

But I want the "coffee table" to be something to rest feet on, as well. Would it look "right" in my room to combine ottomans such as those in the photo with a rectangular ottoman (size and shape of the coffee table, pictured) that is upholstered? Or would it be better to choose more of a bench? To me, it seems like a lot of legs, but the style of legs on the coffee table in the above photo is a nice contrast to all the straight legs.

Might celerygirl be so generous as to use her digital rendering [or [or another Houzzer create a new one] to "pop in" potential arrangements of the square ottomans with the coffee table, a bench, or a more solid upholstered ottoman the size and shape of the coffee table? Is anyone out there so into this that you would help me to visualize my style? (so aptly described by kat as "calm, serene and well-appointed" which has really helped contributors to hone in on my taste.

Thank you all for hanging in here with me. I am terribly analytical, along with being a perfectionist--which goes right along with being a procrastinator. All curses I must consciously fight in order to make decisions.

But I’m getting there, thanks to the patience, vision, and willingness of so many of you who bounce around ideas and make suggestions. With gratitude, I present you with my three granddogs...and my only "girl."

• dsimber
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Please go to my revised dilemma, Cold Room Needs Warmth (read "coziness") Updated version, for a shorter, more concise post now that we've had a lot of brainstorming and know where our "team" is going for my family room. I kept the title very similar to the original, hoping not to lose any contributors. You've been great. I want to thank several Houzzers in particular: katinparadise, celerygirl, boxerpal, and Ingrid. See you soon!

• PRO
    5 years ago

OMG! so cuties buddies!

• PRO
    5 years ago

could not see any posts.

• dsimber
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Please go to newer thread which I renamed when I narrowed my focus: "Arc lamp needs new lamps to coordinate in adjacent living area..” And in the midst of choosing the lamps, I happened upon the perfect rug!

Note to celery girl: Your rendering turned out to be my inspiration in many ways, so I’m very eager to see what you think of the progress. I have added a similar area rug and lamps; chosen lined linen panels but am waiting for a sale; decided on bunching four small ottomans for flexibility, but will give impression of a large square ottoman as you suggested; and finally found a tv stand! The room is still all neutral in color so I can change pillows, throws, and other accents seasonally. I was very surprised this fall when I brought out my rusts and dark reds; they draw the eye away from the color of the blinds which would not have been my choice.. Not sure I‘ll like those colors in spring and summer...maybe then I’ll being in the gold as in your rendering!