SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joyce_6333

Parade of Homes

joyce_6333
5 years ago

We went to our local Parade of Homes on Sunday afternoon. We had limited time so only went to the high-end homes. I can't really say there was anything "NEW". But definitely MODERN was the predominate style. Open floor plans for the most part. Mostly white trim with TALL wood doors, and black windows. Of the homes we saw, only one had a white kitchen. Every other one had flat panel wood cabinets. Really gorgeous. Seemed to me many were walnut in different shades of gray. Counters were almost all white, marble-like quartz. A lot of the floors were rustic wood-look tile with gray tones. Walls were mainly gray shades as well. Not much in the way of bright color, rather mono-tone. But beautiful. Saw a lot of SmartSide siding in very dark colors, I'm not a fan of SmartSide just because it's so shiny. Shiplap was more prevalent than in the past (imagine that!), geothermal heating/cooling was predominant, HUGE pantries and laundry rooms, gorgeous glass door knobs in all kind of shapes and sizes, screen porches, metal stairway railings, vaulted ceilings with heavy beams, and wood ceilings as well. Probably the most unique was a ranch home with two levels below grade. The very bottom level was a ginormous sports court with half court basketball court, with areas for a batting cage, volleyball, pickleball, etc. Definitely a home for kids. It was a fun afternoon, the homes were breathtaking, despite all the homes looking quite the same.

Comments (24)

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    5 years ago

I noticed they don't call it, "Tour of Well Designed and Constructed Homes".

• Related Discussions

How to find parade of homes/new homes (near Nashville)

Q

Comments (4)
    My husband and I walked thru what felt like every model house or home under construction in our area just outside Nashville over the past few years. You can contact a local realtor or just get a Sunday paper and look for new construction open houses and once you find those neighborhoods you should have several homes in various stages of construction to inspect. If you've any plans to visit Murfreesboro please feel free to email me and I can give you several developments you can walk thru around here.
    ...See More

Anyone entering parade of homes?

Q

Comments (20)
    DH and I have been to many 'Parade of Homes' in the several states that we've resided in whilst in the military. All were new, and unoccupied and yes we were required to wear the disposable booties or remove our shoes, before entering. Personally if I had all my household goods already unpacked in the house, I would not be at ease with opening it up for strangers to traipse through. You say you are already allowing the builder to show your home to prospective customers, I think that's quite generous of you already. No doubt your builder has already taken photos of his work on the house prior to your move-in, and posted them on his web page or building catalog, (or should have)so I wouldn't feel guilty in not being more help! After all you've been a great customer by hiring him in hard times to build your house and give work to his subs!
    ...See More

Went to the Parade of Homes again this year.

Q

Comments (18)
    Joyce - I think I used the same subway tile in my kitchen that was used in the last kitchen photo you posted and my granite is very similar to that granite. Mine is called Golden Dunes, but I've seen it called Yellow River too. My cabinets are a bit darker in color but it was nice to see a kitchen similar to mine! And even the back of the sofa almost looks identical to the fabric on my sofa! LOL Thanks for posting the photos - I love to look at houses!
    ...See More

Minneapolis parade of homes kitchens

Q

Comments (1)
    My mom and I used to tour the one in Spokane, but it went from all the houses in one area...to driving around different parts of town, to see homes in several locations. The homes were not that impressive, so we quit going. There was one home that was really nice, in Spokane Valley. It didn't sell, due to the recession hitting that year...but it had some great details. It would have been even better with a few tweaks, but it was one of the only houses that didn't have the cookie cutter look. These were expensive homes, but they all seemed to follow the same 'game plan'. It was nice to see built in window seats, a nice entrance and a really well though out pantry area, in the home we liked. Also had a great fireplace and good dining room location. The only negative was a very small lot.
    ...See More
  • Holly Stockley
    5 years ago

The local versions had a couple architect-designed, MCM style homes, a few of the "modern farmhouse" style, the typical "Craftsman Lite" and one very nicely done Craftsman that had the details right - including a vintage Dutch wallpaper that had been reproduced for the powder room.

• opaone
    5 years ago

I noticed they don't call it, "Tour of Well Designed and Constructed Homes".

That would be the Artisan Tour. Well, some of the homes on the Artisan Tour are well designed and constructed. They're definitely letting the qualifications for inclusion slide though.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/twin-cities-artisan-homes-tour-2018-dsvw-vd~5344394?n=1

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    5 years ago

"Parade of Homes" is a marketing technique to obtain a "parade of consumers", which hopefully will become a "parade of buyers".

From the OP's description, it sounds like all the current trends from HGTV are being used.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    5 years ago

Yup, that's exactly what these "parades" have - all the trends people see on HGTV and are convinced they must have. Far too often, people are sheep being led to the slaughter....

• opaone
    5 years ago

In defense of the POH and Artisan Tour. It's a good opportunity to meet different builders, see the quality of their work and get an idea of what they can build for what cost.

As I said on my Artisan Tour post, one builder, Gordon James, stood out as quite good quality/value for the money, two others, Denali & Stonewood, are fair and one, Michael Paul I'd stay away from. I would actually consider any of the first three.

We found our builder and architect through several years of POH and Artisan Tours.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    5 years ago

I don't know how anyone can evaluate a builder on a parade of homes tour.

Why?

Because, the builders know it's a marketing opportunity and they take all the time necessary for good workmanship and to add all the possible options and features to create a good "show".

These homes may have little to nothing to do with how they typically build individual homes or tract subdivisions.

The best check for builders is to talk to past buyers and current owners. That's where one will learn about skill, workmanship, schedule, change orders, and communications.

Not at a parade of homes.

• RaiKai
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I disagree Virgil. In my experience with POH I can easily rule out those who I would not be prepared to build with and narrow the list. Because not all builders do “take all the time necessary” and if they won’t do that at POH why would I expect them to on my own house.

You also do get to meet builders and get a general sense of that builders style, types of homes they build, where they build, etc. Even ask specifically what are upgrades - you may be surprised but around where I am only a couple builders add a ridiculous amount of upgrades to their POHs/show homes. Many limit to under $5-10,000 in upgrades.

Once you narrow it down, then you can talk to current and former owners, go see more spec homes which will be more “standard”, research the builder, talk extensively with builder, review their specifications and standard contracts (BEFORE signing) and so on.

This is what I did. Baaa.

• sprink1es
    5 years ago

Same here in WI. People have been following the current HGTV "trends" for a good 4-5 years now... Gray everything, rustic rustic rustic, barn doors, painted pine wood everywhere, very little stained hardwood for any millwork/cabinets. Tons of "farmhouses" that are white with black window frames. It's like one person did it, everyone else said "that's the cool new trend", and 10 people a year are just copying = new subdivisions are half filled with identical houses

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    5 years ago

"...In my experience with POH I can easily rule out those who I would not be prepared to build with and narrow the list. Because not all builders do “take all the time necessary” and if they won’t do that at POH why would I expect them to on my own house...."

Well...for those who can do this by visiting a parade of homes event, that's wonderful. Go for it!

But the problem with parade of home events is that most of the elements which go to make up a well built, durable, long-lasting and efficient home are not visible.

Things like the materials and workmanship for the foundation, wall framing, bracing, structural materials and connections, insulation, damp proofing and cavity sealants, roof framing and connections, window quality and installation, HVAC and ducting, electrical, plumbing supply and waste, and all of the other materials and workmanship which make a home well built and energy efficient.

What one does see at a parade of homes is all the finishes, fixtures and equipment--the stuff which normally needs replacement in 3-10 years, regardless of how the rest of the house is built. And of course, in some homes, one sees all the decorative elements brought in from the local furniture store...

Not being argumentative...just pointing out various ways to evaluate home construction. We're all different, so take your pick for your preferred way to evaluate a home...

• RaiKai
    5 years ago

@Virgil I agree but that is also why I mentioned that once you narrow down your builder then drilling down the actual specifications (i.e. standard insulation, framing construction, HVAC, waterproofing). My builder readily provided me a list of all their specifications, materials, reviewed the plans with me for my chosen home, etc before I ever signed a thing.

Also, maybe builders are different where you are but my builder (once I narrowed it down) had no issue taking me to homes they had in mid-construction where I could also observe those details & workmanship, ask lots of questions, etc. I have been at my own build nearly everyday since utilities were marked out, and can also see all these things in progress. I was just in my build yesterday to follow up on where they had run all the electrical (we did a pre-walk through last week to finalize electrical selections) as they are going to move onto insulation and drywall shortly.

Your implication is that some people care about finishing details and some care about the bones, and neither the two shall meet, but I don’t think that is accurate at all, and certainly now how I evaluated builders after I narrowed things down based on location, style, finishing workmanship, etc.

The things you mention aren’t things you can readily see in resale homes, or already built homes designed by architects either. They are also all finished, and often furnished, and often staged. So I am not sure why POHs get singled out here. People often seem to assume all older homes have “good bones” - far from the truth. It is not unheard of here for people to open up walls in old character homes to find them “insulated” with old newspapers - not so great in a seasonal climate like mine - or find that they need to spend $30,000 to waterproof basement as of course there was no applicable Code for that in 1900 and there is a century+ of hidden water damage. But you know they are still “standing” and it seems on this forum that is sufficient because at least they aren’t a “tract home”.

This is why due diligence (ie knowing your builders own specifications, asking about their subs, etc), inspections, etc are all important in evaluating any home. There is no reason that in going with a builder who happens to be in POHs you should not know exactly what windows they are installing, or how your home will be insulated, or what they are doing for waterproofing. And it is is not like architect designed custom homes are immune from poor workmanship or significant construction defects as many threads here can attest.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    5 years ago

Finishes - prospective buyers have learned that term and to them it's ALL about the finishes. They wouldn't know quality construction if it bit them, and frankly, they don't really care. Then intend to move in 5 years and hope the house is still standing and those "finishes" are still shiny and new in that time. Yes, I AM cynical due to the bitter experience of a lifetime.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    5 years ago

Not being argumentative...just pointing out various ways to evaluate home construction. We're all different, so take your pick for your preferred way to evaluate a home...

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    5 years ago

Some really good points on this thread.

The focus of homes built as POH entries, as Virgil Carter points out, is generally on the interior finishes, not on the "bones" and what should be long-term sustainable construction details.

POH entries are often built on a fast-track compared with typically construction and may suffer from "short cuts" taken during construction. Caveat emptor.

The main issue I have with POH entries is that the advertised selling price distorts local market reality. POH homes are often sold at or below the builder's hard cost because the builder's focus is on winning an award not making money on the particular home. The builder may have secured a variety of POH discounts from suppliers and trade partners. As a consumer, ask what the cost would be to replicate a particular POH home on a similar lot; I think you'll find it to be educational.

• Holly Stockley
    5 years ago

This may be a YMMV thing, based on location. The vast majority of homes on the local Parade are already owned, not for sale. There are a few spec houses, but most of the custom homes and a fair few of the tract houses were built with an owner already involved. You certainly CAN ask the builder what it would cost to build that same house on your lot, and they'll usually tell you. On occasion, the plan is proprietary and they're just showing off. While some of the homes here are undoubtedly built on a compressed timeline, others are not. And it's not unusual to see one or more built for the builder him/herself. Some of THOSE were unusual enough that they are unlikely to move in the immediate future. (Case in point: one who'd built a house that included a bunk room for his 56(!?!?!) nieces and nephews to sleep in when they visit. Not all of them at one time, but definitely a feature that was rather unique to that home.

• annied75
    5 years ago
    I chose my builder by touring the POH. Hook, line, sinker . . . and lots of regret. Our builder's entry was impeccable and well-received by everyone on the tour. When it was time for our house to be built, we never experienced anything close to the workmanship of their entry.
  • Suru
    5 years ago

I think what everyone said above is most likely true in most instances. However, I enjoy going to the POHs in my area (and there are 4 of them every year within a few hours' drive). I especially delight in those gigantic 10,000 square foot homes that I could never, ever, afford to build.

For years prior to building our house as owner/builder, I would talk to the builders and ask general questions about permits, getting subs, inspectors, etc. All of them were very nice and generous with their advice and shared their experiences. Now that we've built our house, I can probably share some horror stories with them LOL.

I also like to see the new decorating & landscaping trends. It doesn't mean I'm going to decorate my house that way, but I do find inspiration.

joyce_6333 thanked Suru
  • joyce_6333
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Maybe I'm the odd one out on this, but I don't go to the POH to see the 'bones' of a home. I basically go to see design trends and landscaping, just for fun. We've built several fully custom homes, and we have always decided what the "bones" will be from start to finish.... along with the builder and the architect/draftsman. We have gotten some ideas for different types of framing, roofing, insulation from the parade (at least my husband has), but none of our builders ever dictated to us what the bones would be. That is our decision to make with his input. It's all laid out in the contract. We've never built a tract home, but I'm guessing that is how the contract is structured for those kind of homes.

• chisue
    5 years ago

I no longer have the newspaper with the article, but it was a rundown of what 'features' yielded the most payback in today's market. It was a Tribute to Trendiness. Fire pits and barn doors were biggies. Any house that called itself 'craftsman' was a hot property -- regardless of what it really was.

Whatcha *mean*, Good Bones, you old timers, you! haha

• Holly Stockley
    5 years ago

Our foray yesterday to a few last homes was entertaining. There was SO much grey it started to be depressing. Grey walls, charcoal cabinets, grey quartz, grey flooring, grey window treatments, grey built-ins. And these were homes decorated by local "designers." Then, when we walked back to the car, I was amused to see that a full 30% of the vehicles parked there had decals or magnets to indicate the driver was also a "designer." One even had a series of "Best of Houzz 201*" stickers. I might have giggled. Apparently this is how they "check out" the competition? Or get "new ideas"?

I anticipate lots more grey, locally. But not in my house.

• RaiKai
    5 years ago

@joyce_633 - I think it depends on the tract builder (more commonly called production builders where I am). We are building with a production builder, but we have always known what the “bones” were and had opportunity to change those bones.

We narrowed down to about three builders and were able to sit down with them and their plans and specs and talk about them with their construction methods. For example, two of the builders we talked to build with open trusses which was important to us to give more flexibility in the space and meant for example ceilings would be “true” to their height without drops or soffits for HVAC. Also meant far less support columns so it was easier to move walls to where they worked for us etc.

The builders would tell us what their standard insulation for example was (and as we are in a colder climate and it is competitive they were all comparable) and what we could upgrade to. Ditto for everything from HVAC to electrical. We did use a builder’s stock plan, but we really could have input on how to modify that plan and specifications (as long as all to Code!). Ours was a good experience. We don’t have a very fancy house by any means, but that is not our style, and I expect it will be a happy comfortable home for us and our lifestyle.

i have been to and in my house almost every single day since stake out and have been able to also see exactly what is going on.

We have never built a fully custom home and I do not anticipate we ever will - personally I know I do not have the heart for it! - but I don’t think all production builders - or markets - are the same, and some will work with clients to do either semi-custom or even fully custom.

• RaiKai
    5 years ago

@chisue there is one model home here that has so many reclaimed wood barn doors and reclaimed wood feature walls that as I walked out I told the salesperson I felt like the bathtubs ought to have been water troughs! Not my style at all and I can only imagine that someone in a few years will be trying to figure out how to pry all that wood off the walls.

The “craftsman” or “arts & crafts” hodge podge look is very popular here, whether the home is a spec build or $1.5 million dollar custom architect designed one. And often the $1.5 million version often does not look any better designed or “true to the style” than the $400,000 version! Sometimes worse as it made sure to throw on a couple extra siding elements as some sort of “more is better” move. But as your article indicated, they sell.

• User
    5 years ago

I enjoy the occasional escapist fantasy movie also.