Milk Street's French Apple Cake
8 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (12)
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
Related Discussions
Keith's Pecan Pie Cake---A WINNER!
Comments (32)Diane - A word of warning on the pecans...they will not keep long if they are cracked unless you freeze them. Of course that may not be a problem, if you are eating them that fast. LOL The reason that I know this is that my niece gave me a bag of cracked ones one time and I left them in the bag for a little too long. One day I opened the door to the room where they were and I had about a thousand littles moths flying around. They had hatched out and been well fed in the bag of pecans. Diane - You have come to the right place for the piecrust. I cannot even stand the thought of using lard and I think it would be way to much trouble if I had to do the frozen chipped butter thing, or the ice water thing that some people do. Warning: You are going to think this ingredient list looks funny, but give it a try. Make sure you have waxed paper. 2 cups flour (scant) 1 teaspon salt 1/2 cup cooking oil 1/4 cup buttermilk You can stir this with a spoon and it should be a soft dough. It will be much softer to roll out than most pie crusts. The trick is in handling the crust, so read this part carefully. Take out a little more than half for the bottom crust and place it between two sheets of waxed paper. Roll out with a rolling pen. After you have rolled it to the proper thickness, remove the top sheet of paper by carefully pulling it from one side. Lay it back down on the dough again. That was just to release it from the paper and make it release better later on. With both sheets back in place, flip the entire thing over so the bottom piece of paper is now the top piece. Remove the paper that is now on top and set it aside. Now here is the tricky part. Pick up the dough, still on the paper, by using both hands placed about 2/3 back on the crust and your pie pan in front of you. Let 2/3 hang toward you and let the 1/3 drop back over your hands. Starting with the 2/3 part, place it in your pan with the paper still attached. As you lay it down, the paper is now on top. Now slowly peel off the paper. This sounds like it slow process, but it really isn't after you get the hang of handling the dough. If you have a problem, just patch it. Since you didn't add more flour in the rolling out process, you can throw the scraps back into the bowl and use them as part of the next crust. I have quadrupled this recipe several times without any difficulty but I would suggest you make it as a single pie the first time so you know how the dough should feel. I predict you will never go back, once you have tried this one. Very little mess to clean up since the rolling pin never touched the crust, and there is no flour mess to contend with....See MoreWhat is your dream birthday cake?
Comments (73)I would like anything from a good bakery. My birthday sometimes falls on Thanksgiving and mostly just before or after. I have had my share of supermarket turkey shaped cakes and cakes with pilgrims. I used to ask for ice cream cakes as a kid because they at least had ice cream and usually weren't awful.....The worst was when I was 16. I wanted something grown up and beautiful. My sister talked my boyfriend and my parents into going to a amusement/arcade park for a surprise. The place was a castle themed park called Camelot. All the kids at my school called it "scam-a-lot" I was horrified. When the girl brought out the cake badly frosted and with day glow icing clowns and balloons I asked them to get it boxed and we went home to have ice cream instead. At least none of my friends saw it all. No I am not stealing this from the show Golden Girls. This actually happened to me! I had another cake disaster for my graduation. My sis and I got the freshest ingredients and made a cake from a cake bible cookbook from the library. I had spent a week prior making frosting roses for this masterpiece had saving them in the freezer. We made the cake and tasted the trimmed off parts it was fantastic! The next day we frosted it and that evening when the family tried it it was so dry no one wanted to eat it. After that I always ordered a cake from the European bakery I love in Pasadena. The other cake fail I was involved in was my cousin's wedding. She knew I could do frosting flowers well so she asked me to come over and decorate her wedding cake. She wanted me to use this lavender icing she made. I decorated the whole thing and we set it by the window. After an hour into the reception, the purple icing in the sunlight faded to blue and was melting a little. My part of the family was out drinking and laughing on the grass. My cousin's husband's family was inside being shocked at the drinking going on outside. The cake suddenly started to lean and lucky her husband's brother was sitting close by and grabbed for it. The top 2 tiers were saved but the lower ones crashed. She didn't put in any supports inside. But, great sport that she is, she just laughed and served her husband's family the upper layers and our family the toppled ones. We didn't mind a bit. She's a great gal and can laugh through anything. One of the weddings I can say I really enjoyed. Sliding color changing cake and all. Please no one get a bright colored cake for a birthday. At my granddad's 90th, my aunt ordered a NASA themed cake with dark blue icing. My Grandad worked in the space program after being in the air force during WWII. Everybody had a dark blue tongue and blue teeth. All these old people with blue lips and teeth! I love a simple cake with almond extract and some fresh ripe strawberries or peaches and whipped cream. I had a fantastic cake once made with 4 different pastel fruit flavored layers and also a very good Black Forest cake by a Belgian pastry chef who used to have a bakery in my city but has now retired. I'm too wary to try a special cake again but I love to make pies and decorate cupcakes with fresh flowers....See MoreMilk Toast
Comments (29)I don't remember having it myself although I may have when very young but I never liked milk and it did not agree with me so I did not have milk often. My grandfather always had a bowl of cooked rice with warm milk and a little butter and sugar every night after dinner as his desert. It was also served for breakfast a lot. Mom used to make us home made pudding on the stove when we were sick we loved it. And she made wonderful French toast but we called it egg bread or Pain Perdu. I loved pancakes made out of corn bread batter, they were one of my faves. Cooked in the big cast iron skillet, she would add just a little sugar to the batter to give them a light sweet taste and fry till crunchy. Man I have not had that since I was a kid....See MoreSubstituting fruit in a coffee cake recipe
Comments (24)Seagrass, I live in Central Wisconsin now. Aside from the two plants in great soil, the rest of my rhubarb is growing in super sandy soil and a good bit of shade and has to compete with tree roots. Those plants need supplemental water and fertilizer to keep growing through the summer. Generally cool weather. Some 'summers' we're lucky to hit 90 degrees for a couple of days! So don't give up on your plants. If the plants are still small, you could dig in some bagged cow manure & compost around the perimeter of the plants and/ or toss them a couple handfuls of high nitrogen fertilizer. Manure & compost preferable, of course. Also, some moisture crystals dug in to help retain soil moisture if rains aren't reliable. In Oklahoma, rhubarb is mostly a spring crop because the heat and drought zap it. Here in Wisconsin, we can harvest from the plants all summer. Edited to add... Seagrass, Lindac....would you, pretty please, share the rhubarb custard pie recipe? I've never tasted it and keeping hearing/ reading how wonderful it is. Just a mention...my grandmother made wonderful jams and jellies. My favorite of hers, hands down, was a mulberry rhubarb jam. My second favorite jam is blackberry...the mulberry rhubarb jam reminded me of a very rich tasting blackberry jam....See More- 8 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
Related Stories

HOUZZ TOURSHouzz Tour: Undone in the French Quarter
Color and history abound in this ‘unrenovated’ pied-à-terre in the Big Easy
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGN16 Scrumptious Eat-In Kitchens and What They Want You to Serve
Whether apple-pie cheerful or champagne sophisticated, these eat-in kitchens offer ideas to salivate over
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNA Cook’s 6 Tips for Buying Kitchen Appliances
An avid home chef answers tricky questions about choosing the right oven, stovetop, vent hood and more
Full Story
MY HOUZZSweet Christmas Charm in a Renovated 1949 Home in California
Splashes of cheery sunshine yellow and shiplap walls are a backdrop to holiday decor in this decorator’s forever home
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNHouzz Call: Tell Us About Your First Kitchen
Great or godforsaken? Ragtag or refined? We want to hear about your younger self’s cooking space
Full Story
HOUZZ TOURSMy Houzz: An 18th-Century Cottage on a Tiny English Island
Once a place for a miller to store his cart, this tiny building is now a cozy home, redesigned using reclaimed materials
Full Story
LIFEOh Yeah, There’s a Snake in the House
A Houzz contributor lives through her worst nightmare and comes out the other side with lessons learned and new footwear
Full Story
LIFEHow to Decide on a New Town
These considerations will help you evaluate a region and a neighborhood, so you can make the right move
Full Story
TROPICAL STYLEMy Houzz: New York Chic and Laid-Back Hawaiian Style on Maui
A relocating New Yorker designs an island home influenced by her former city life
Full Story
TRADITIONAL HOMESHouzz Tour: Connecticut Farm Restored for Generations to Come
A man renovates his extended family’s stately farmhouse and land. Sustainable practices are used in gardens, wetlands and recreation areas
Full Story
Jasdip