SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
skhaja24

Help designing a multifunctional space

skhaja24
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I need major help designing this space. I have spent FOUR YEARS trying to make this room come together but it keeps accumulating more clutter instead. I will post pics of all the walls and list what I need. Please help if you understand how desperately moms with boys toys need organization. I am looking for a neat organized space with nice clean lines but storage, storage and more storage. We are pack rats and we do not have any storage in this house. I need toy storage that offers easy access to toys for my 6 and 3 year old. I also need a desk that offers more desk space, a keyboard tray and is not too deep or fancy. Again the point of this room in function more than being fancy. That's why I think a modern or contemporary design will work best?

1. Toy Storage:

-I can use Billy Bookcases from ikea and cabinets along the blue wall to allow for storage for toys and our
books and awards, etc. But I cannot decide how many to use.

2. TV

-Where do I put the t.v.? Either on the blue wall between bookshelves or above the desk space on the shorter
white wall. How big and where are the question

3. Office Space

-Where do I start the desk space. Should I get two corner desks, one on the closet wall and one for kids on the
other side of the wall (that connects to the blue wall)

-I am not a person who is going to be able to keep small knickknacks and beautifully decorated desk space at
this time. I need hiding space but also some display shelves for decor. I considered buying shelves and lining
them across the white wall to connect into a long U-shaped desk space and mounting the TV in the center on
the wall. Let me know if this is confusing.

-Can the filing cabinet or current bookshelves stay? Probably not the bookcases.

4. Seating

-Not a lot of people come up here but I want to have a space for a few adults to sit up here from time to time. I
keep going back and forth between making this a really fun toy room or a office space with toy storage and
seating. Anyway here are the ideas for seating:

-Have a settee and two arm chairs in front of the windows.

-Have a small couch in front of the windows

-If I put the TV in between the bookcases on the blue wall I can put a small couch in front of the closet wall to
allow for TV watching. But will this be too big? Too close to the desk space? I really need someone to sketch
out the design options for me.

****I will post measurements soon. THANK YOU!***

Hallway

Window Wall connected to hallway

Longest, blue wall

Comments (4)