SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_23791317

At what age do you stop -- or start -- giving a "pass" for behavior?

User
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

When little kids act up in public (grocery store, restaurant, airplane, theater, concert), at what age to you stop "judging" them for the way they're acting? Two? Three? Six? Twelve? Never? My friend posted on FB an anecdote about a trip to a restaurant where her three-year-old son was singing and using the table as a drum, with his knife and fork being the drumsticks. She said that a couple near them had requested to be moved to another table. I offered an "I'd have been embarrassed too" comment, and she replied that she wasn't embarrassed at all - that she thought it was funny. I was perplexed.

Conversely, at what age do you START giving a pass, based on eld? (Assuming there's no dementia/Alzheimer's involved.) My grandmonster (she was truly a vile person) was notorious for judgmental, hateful, scathing remarks aimed at people she knew, and people she only "knew" through watching TV. She'd say things that were utterly horrible, and expect to be allowed to say whatever she thought, just because she was 85 or 90. When we'd call her on it, she'd said, "I'm old. I've earned the right to say what I want and I don't care whose toes I step on." She made her granddaughters cry because she'd tell them not to eat her candy because they were fat; she alienated all of her friends because all she did was carp on random, perceived slights when they'd call her (or drop by her house) to chat; and she criticized everything anyone would try to do for her. The end result: only twelve people showed up for her funeral. Most of us were glad she was dead - she was THAT awful.

I'll give kids under 3 a general pass, unless the parents are ignoring their behavior. I don't give old folks a pass at all. I figure just because they've reached whatever-milestone birthday doesn't give them the right to be rude, hateful, critical, or otherwise nasty. You'd think with age, people would learn to couch their words carefully, and the importance of tact, but from my experience this is not the case. :/

So. Do you give people a "pass" based on their age? If you do, at what age do you stop and start looking the other way or ignoring their assy-ness?

Comments (39)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio