SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dyhgarden

Swollen ankles and feet when traveling

DYH
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I just returned from Europe.

During my week in Paris (where I go every year), I walked 8 miles per day (sidewalks) and had no swelling issues, no pain. I wore either my loafers or my sneakers. The temperatures were high 40s in the morning, warming up to high 60s in the afternoons.

I flew from there to Venice, where I joined up with my friends for a food and wine tour two hours north in the Fruili region.

There, I wore those same Cole Haan sneakers with no-show socks, or my Dansko sandals. The temperatures were in the 60s at night and 80s during the day.

After about three days, averaging less than 5 miles a day, my ankles and feet were unrecognizable to me! This has never happened before and it was quite disturbing. My skin hurt from the swelling. There was also tingling in both big toes and pinkie toes.

I resorted to wearing my compression knee-hi's (that I wear on flights) with my sneakers and those helped some, but my ankles and feet still didn't look normal. I rinsed my feet and lower legs in cold water after my morning and evening showers.

The problem continued for my four days in Venice.

Both feet/ankles looked the same and there were no "hot spots" like with DVT.

I attributed it to a combination of wine, salt (prosciutto, cheese, etc), but I am still concerned because I'm going to Sicily in September, where it will likely be in the 80s again.

I've been home since midnight Friday and my feet and ankles look normal again. I still have a little tingling in those toes.

Has anyone experienced this? What to do for my upcoming trip? I'm almost dreading going because of this, but if I cancel, I think it may cause the rest of our small, private group tour to be cancelled and they'd lose their deposits and be penalized on their airline tickets. I need a solution!

I don't have blood pressure issues. I'm not on any medications. I'm 64 and not overweight, per my doctor/BMI, even though I'd like to lose a few pounds.

Thanks.

Comments (36)