Painting - converting a desk to bathroom vanity

thegratefulgardener

Hi all,

I'd like some advice and inspiration. I bought this desk and intend to turn it into a bathroom vanity for a little apartment here at our place that we're preparing for my Mom. The kneehole style will be good if she needs to sit and get her knees under the sink as she ages. I don't mind the quirkiness of the decoration to some degree, but I really dislike the yellowed quality of the paint and the extreme-kitsch of the paintings on the drawer fronts. I am thinking to leave the side paintings on but repaint the front and inside panels

and drawers. We're making a countertop out of Stone Coat Countertop epoxy and plan for it to be like a light green and white marble look. There will be a square, white, self-rimming sink in the top-center. White toilet. Not sure of the shower or tile color yet. So, how to paint the front? One color? Or two to bring out some of the moulding detail on the drawers? Opinions? Ideas? Thanks!

SaveComment5Like
Comments (5)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pennydesign

That's a beautiful Chinoiserie desk with a leather top. Is the countertop epoxy necessary?

I think I would look for another desk to do this project with...I would hate to cover up the "kitchy" paintings.

1 Like Save    
bleusblue2

Oh my goodness -- I agree with pennydesign -- can't you sell this to somebody who would love it as it is? Each drawer has a different design painted on. This is not a thoughtlessly decorated piece of furniture. Where did you get it?

Save    
thegratefulgardener

If either of you - bleusblue2 or pennydesign - would like to buy it, it's for sale! Turns out it's too big for our project.

I got it on Craiglist Pittsburgh, PA.

Save    
bleusblue2

Thanks thegratefulgardener -- I'm sorry that I can't consider it for the space I live in. I would put it back on Craigslist then. I have no idea what it's worth but it should go for at least as much as you paid for it. Good luck!

Save     Thanked by thegratefulgardener
pennydesign

I'm so sorry!!!

Is there nowhere else you or your mom could use it?

Save     Thanked by thegratefulgardener
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Room of the Day Couple Convert a Midcentury Dresser Into a Knockout Vanity
A water leak and mold prompt a stylish master bathroom remodel in Las Vegas for less than $10,000
Full Story
Your First House You Can Turn That Into a Bathroom Vanity?
Find inspiration in 13 unconventional bathroom vanities that are as functional as the real deal
Full Story
My Houzz My Houzz: Living and Painting in a Converted 1870 Woolen Mill
With a gallery, an art studio and river views, this industrial-style home in Canada is just right for its forward-thinking owners
Full Story
Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever
MacAnson Construction is a family business with the unique ability to be both the designer & builder. Our goal is... Read More