SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kl23

upstairs renovation: 3 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, hall closet

kl23
last year
last modified: 5 months ago

We have a 1970s split level neo-colonial home. This is the current floor plan for the downstairs and an architect's plan for the upstairs. All the flooring except for the downstairs bathroom and laundry closet need to be replaced. I really like the feel of the stone flooring in the downstairs bathroom. In summer it cools the room, and it has electric radiant heating under it to keep it warm in the winter. I like it so much that I am considering it for the rest of the house. For colors, I like chocolate browns, spruce greens, Coke-bottle greens, blues, and purples. I like dark walls. I like the idea of mixed materials and textures like stone, wood, glass, wall paneling, wallpaper. I am posting a picture of the back of my house, our downstairs bathroom, and our laundry closet, plus inspirational photos from Houzz for the shallow-shelf closet concept upstairs, kitchen, bathroom and dining room inspiration photos. It was difficult to find the inspiration pictures, and I could use some ideas. There are way too many neutral color schemes out there and not enough with bold color mixed in. Also there are too many light and pastel pictures and not enough dark. I also am trying to figure out where to use the various materials... what is most appropriate for paneling, wallpaper, paint. We are about to make the upstairs plan a reality and I need help with floors, walls, and ceilings... materials and where to use them.

Bel Air Contemporary · More Info

kitchen · More Info

japanese penthouse · More Info

the usual appearance · More Info

Upstairs renovation · More Info

This is the back of the house showing the cocoa colors. · More Info

chocolate floors, evergreen, and grey · More Info

Comments (419)

• kl23
    Original Author
    last month

@ilikefriday I went looking for darkly academic or moody maximalism rooms with what looks like 8' ceilings and wanted to share for opinions. Here are some living rooms. What do you think? Are these encouraging?

DreamHome at the Merchandise Mart · More Info

Portland Cape · More Info

Hilltop Revival · More Info

need a view? · More Info

• ilikefriday
    last month
    last modified: last month

How tall are your ceilings?

I am most drawn to the last two photos you posted. I love the dark ceiling in the second to last one. I find it interesting that the middle shelves are a different color. The countertop is also different. Isn't that a little unusual?

In the last photo the sconces and foot stool both stand out to me.

I did a search and found this room that caught me eye. The ceiling is high but it could easily be done with a much lower one. I love the red leather, huge ottoman, and globe hanging decor.

• Related Discussions

Yikes. Just realized hallway only 3 ft wide--anything we can do?

Q

Comments (37)
    The vestibule seemed to be jumping off the screen so I had to draw it. I'm glad it worked out. When I look at a design I automatically reach for a pen and tracing paper. People make fun of the fact that I always have a half dozen different colored felt tipped pens in my pocket and don't know how they got there. My former boss would hold his hand out palm up and I would put a pen in it. I recently left my pocket scale at a client's home and have been so miserable I ordered a half dozen of them. Sometimes it helps to draw the plan by hand with furniture, people, feature highlights and circulation arrows. Plan weaknesses will quickly become evident and solutions will sometimes seem to jump out at you when you are free of hard straight lines, dimensions and the burden of keeping what has already been drawn. It also helps to turn the sheet around and imagine walking through spaces from another direction. It doesn't have to be pretty; it's only for you. Few of these sketches are kept more than an hour and often I don't look at them when drawing the final on the computer; it's just an exercise. IMO unless you're using up a lot of tracing paper you're limited to reorganizing other people's ideas and those ideas can easily get out of proportion and not fit together as well as they originally did.
    ...See More

New home - 3 bathroom renovations - layout help please

Q

Comments (1)
    I can't read the dimensions on this, so you'd have to sketch it out to see how the inches end up being allocated. I'd plan on bathroom fights. The kids are pretty close in age. I'd try moving things around a bit and see how it works out. Take the closet in the middle bedroom off that wall (we'll deal with it later). Put the toilet across from the tub with a small linen closet, maybe some hampers. Consider a sliding door (maybe frosted glass for light) between the sink are and tub area, which allows for two people to use it at once. Add a second sink area where the toilet was. Then take out the master toilet. Slide the closet over. Put the middle bedroom closet to the right of the new master closet location. Put the shower along the outer wall with the toilet next to it. Put a larger double vanity on the back of the closet wall. The vanity depicted looks a bit small for two people/sinks, but I can't read the size so hard to tell. Might have to make the closet a few inches shallower, hard to tell. If it were my home, the kids bath access issue and larger master vanity would be my "wants". Worth playing around on paper a bit, even if it just convinces you it isn't the right choice.
    ...See More

Renovating late 1800's Queen Ann Victorian 3 Family

Q

Comments (3)
    I have not found a post for this question, so I hope someone will have an answer/opinion. Thank you for your help. The condo is 70 years old, solidly built two story with concrete above the 4' crawl space and also the ceiling. I am looking for ways to cool and heat with electricity that are considered efficient and warm in winter. It does not have much insulation on the exterior walls...if any. The flooring above the crawl space is 3/4" thick parkay. Current heat is baseboard, and cooling is through the wall..one in the br and another in dining rm near kitchen. A local contractor told me that central heating/air will be very expensive to run. I don't doubt it. I would still like to have something unobtrusive and efficient. I can search the internet once you give me a 'push' in the right direction. Latest and greatest? or old standby.
    ...See More

Can I convert my 3 bedroom house to a 4 bedroom house and is it worth

Q

Comments (8)
    Check on an appraisers forum to see if there would be any difference in value. Unless you are getting cash for the sale or a large down payment from the buyer the appraisal will be the determining factor if you actually get more at the sale. If you do this change, do it for yourself and not for resale. If you do this change, make sure you don't make the current floorplan dysfunctional as that will take value away. If you are using the exact same square footage and not adding any, then it is doubtful that your home would add value but you would need to get twin sales in the area to see how much, if anything, is added to the value. It may open up the buyer pool and sell more quickly though. As the others mentioned consulting with a couple of Realtors in your area would help you get a handle on the current market.
    ...See More
  • RedRyder
    last month

Love the second and third rooms! I definitely think these ideas work in a room with 8’ ceilings.

Your plan to add architectural features sounds perfect. More molding makes any room more interesting. Dark paint is so striking in a small room that I think it makes it look either larger or cozier. Both outcomes are good.

• btydrvn
    last month

the most relevant details ..to me …are big windows and lots of natural light..without these important features the room could be oppressive

• kl23
    Original Author
    last month

@ilikefriday my ceilings are generally 8' which was standard in the 1970s when the house was built. The exceptions are from the home entry through a hallway to the kitchen and in the dining room. They are all 7' 6". Instead of creating a living room at 8' 6" this tract home builder shortened a bigger part of the main floor. It's really disgusting to me what they did, but that's life.

• kl23
    Original Author
    last month

@ilikefriday you are also drawn to red... and maybe a touch of metallic? Yes, that's a beautiful room you posted. You are right that in the one room the shelves and counter are not the same black as the rest of the bookcase. I hadn't noticed that. That seems to break up the solid bookcase. Maybe it would have been too overwhelming with a color drench (?). Or maybe they tried to visually connect to the adjoining kitchen (?). I find it very interesting that the details look less cluttered than I imagine with a plain white background.

• kl23
    Original Author
    last month

@RedRyder interesting! One of your favorites has a black ceiling and the other has white. Thoughts on that choice?

I watched again one of my favorites designer series, BBC Design Rules, where the guy made a point that painting all the walls very white makes the corners disappear from the glare and makes the room seem larger. I've read the same thing happens when painting everything black. So either all white or all black can make a room feel larger. I wonder if that helps explain why an all-dark wall treatment makes a room feel either larger or cozier. does it depend on the ceiling treatment? Does it depend on the other colors in the room? Also, I hypothesize that in a bright room the corners disappear better with all-white and make it seem larger. In a dimly lit room, the corners disappear better with all-black walls and make it feel larger.

@btydrvn your love for lots of natural light is understandable. I am grateful for working outdoors and having an office at work that is all glass on the exterior wall. My work office looked dingy painted all off-white. I added object in bright red and the off-white and office clutter disappeared. What happens at night to a room that is decorated for lots of natural light? To me the room becomes dingy and requires lots of artificial light and bright colors to recover.

You evoked such an interesting thought series! Because upstairs two of my rooms are north facing and have as a view an ugly vacant house across the street, I leave my blinds closed. Those rooms will definitely benefit from dark colors erasing the corners and a few jewel tones for interest! The dark central hallway with it's horizontal lighting would benefit from jewel tones and reflective surfaces (liking that wood paneling and transom window idea). My bigger south bedroom has a slider and a standard window on one wall. It's still dark because there is a roof over the balcony and the leafed-out trees bring shade. I am starting to think one reason I am drawn to these dark wall and ceiling colors is that my house is so dark naturally from placement and lack of windows. Maybe I am working with what I have instead of fighting it.

• kl23
    Original Author
    last month

@ilikefriday I think you also are drawn to round objects. I like them too.

• kl23
    Original Author
    last month

By the way, did anyone feel like the big picture of a tree in the fourth room tricked you into feeling like there was a window there? I also liked the effect of this other room with it's picture. If it were the size of a window, I feel like it would effect me the same way I window would. We have lots of photos at high resolution that could have this effect and I would love to use them.

Ballard Cottage · More Info

need a view? · More Info

• kl23
    Original Author
    last month

@ilikefriday and @RedRyder @Lynn Lou

This week the contractor organized all "the trades" to come see the space and review the plan. The designer came too and with samples of cork flooring. They were Amorim WISE. I read negative reviews of them and she will look for glue-down types. The plus is that they could be used in the bathrooms. The negative is that they are basically covered with recycled water bottles so they feel like plastic. Your thoughts welcome. It was good that hubby and I liked the same color, but it just didn't speak to me. I learned a bit about flooring and thresholds though and was pleased that nobody though I needed a threshold between the master bathroom and the master bedroom.

The HVAC guy suggested putting a return in each of the bedrooms instead of just one in the hallway, saying it would provide more uniform temperature control. He said putting a thermostat upstairs instead of downstairs might make the downstairs too cool but understood when I said the reason I wanted to move it upstairs was to compensate for the entire downstairs having radiant heat flooring. Those were some important points.

Oh, and the electrician said the panels he put in were more than enough to heat the entire upstairs and downstairs with radiant heating... just like we planned. That should put a stop to the nonsense I heard before. The interior designer came too and responded to the electrician's request for a lighting plan by staying after and working on one with me. She's planning for a lot of light.

None of the trades understood the shallow storage in the hallway, so the designer said she would develop a detailed plan for them. I tried to show pictures from Houzz, but that only helped a bit. I asked the designer about a transom window and she liked it.

After that, we went to the supplies place again and looked at porcelain slabs for shower surrounds and countertops. All of them mimicked marble and badly. I also learned they are not popular enough yet to have rounded edges available. Someday, I think they will have a great variety of edges available, because it's porcelain! My grandkids are going to have such fun someday. Can't you just see matching edges on countertops, baseboards and crown moulding in porcelain? Meanwhile, I think we are back to soapstone counters.

We also gathered and reevaluated the previously selected bathroom tiles. I was thinking of using the same tiles for both bottom bedrooms and a different one for the master. The designer knows we aren't crazy about a bathtub and suggested realtors may object someday, but that shouldn't force us to spend 30 years with a thing for someone else. So...no more bathtub in the bottom right bathroom. Instead... A low-threshold shower alcove with sliding glass doors. I'm thinking a French door type for a garden feel.

We also talked about hardware. After selecting brushed nickel for the downstairs bathroom, I feel I have experimented enough. I still love the high reflectance of chrome. But I've experienced cheap chrome that peals back over time and is dangerously sharp, so she'll ensure I get better quality.

Next Wednesday we're going to a store near where I work to look at decorative floor vents, door knobs, closet pulls, vanity pulls, faucets, shower drains, etc. Meanwhile she sent some ideas for faucet styles. I still like wall-mounted. And I still like the shape of the one I chose downstairs. But hubby doesn't like the openness of it so I'm leaning towards this one.

And I'm thinking it's time to think about mirrors, and I'm leaning towards something like these.

For vanities, I thought I'd have to chose furniture-style for the two bottom bathrooms, but the designer said the architect allowed 36", and we could shrink them to 30" and have a pony wall between the vanity and toilet for a little shallow wall storage. Then a floating vanity wouldn't look weird. And I like my floating vanity and wall storage in the downstairs bathroom, so I am game. I am game for pendants or sconces flanking the mirrors but clueless on styles to go with the mirrors and faucet.

I hope you all are doing well.

• kl23
    Original Author
    last month

The store we are going to Wednesday is called PushPull... appointment only. Looking forward to it, even though I think the idea is for the designer to find out what I like.

Other new thought is to install a "secret passage" between the two bottom rooms. Something like bookshelves along the wall that open up as double doors. We were planning on shelving or storage furniture there anyway. Making them doors would save space.

• RedRyder
    last month

Wow, it sounds like a packed but productive week! One thought at a time-

Have you made a final flooring decision?

As for bath tubs - “one per house” is enough is what I’ve heard. And you can’t build a house for future sale. You’re spending a ton of money on this house so make it as you want it for your lifetime.

I’m starting to work on my small powder room. I can assure you that mirror shopping is hard. And too many options for faucets!

Why not use chrome if you like it?

Soapstone is far superior to anything porcelain. Yes, it’s higher maintenance but it’s warmer, more natural looking and will be great with your overall house “feel”. Porcelain countertops have a long way to go.

I do think a large picture can affect the feeling in a small room of expansiveness. The one with the river is pretty great for an example of what you’re asking.

• kl23
    Original Author
    last month

@RedRyder thanks for checking in. No, I have not settled on a floor yet. The designer may have some with her Wednesday, tomorrow, when we look at hardware. She seems very efficient.

She also encouraged me not to get a tub if I didn't want one, and I don't. If I die in 30 years, that room will be due for an update anyway. The next people can put in a tub. There's room.

Thanks for the feedback on chrome and soapstone. Much appreciated!

My husband takes such beautiful photos. I'd be content with them all through the house... maybe some of mine too. I'd love to have a large landscape on the wall right when you walk in the front door. But that's downstairs. Oops.

• ilikefriday
    last month

I love the idea of photos throughout the house! Perhaps your dh could covert one to a mural.

• kl23
    Original Author
    last month

@ilikefriday what an interesting concept. I have been thinking of a mural for the dining room but was considering hiring a local artist through our arts council. I sent an email and got no response. Converting one of his photos would be a great alternative. What service would you use?

We both have prints too. I never imagined I'd be blessed with too much wall art and spent my early years buying cheap frames for old calendars, which are still perfectly good for hanging in a steamy bathroom. Our designer says she can make good use of most of it in our home. I think we could gift the rest to friends. I just really love his photos. He's newly retired and has been spending some time with his cameras. One challenge for this renovation is to make appropriate storage for all the equipment, include the tripods. He currently has it stored in what he calls go-bags, 4 backpacks, each one for a different use. He envisioned hanging them on hooks in a big closet. I don't think that will work. We have a couple of big dressers that could work. Now I realize I don't even know how much camera equipment he has. I should have him get it all out so the designer and I can look at it to figure out how to store it all.

• ilikefriday
    last month

I have never converted a photo to a mural but I do know there are those here on Houzz who have. Perhaps you could start a post and ask for suggestions.

I am a huge fan of displaying your own artwork. Since your dh is a photographer this is a great opportunity to honor his work and creativity. It also will give your space a huge dose of personality.

Imo there is no such thing as too much art!!

• kl23
    Original Author
    last month

@ilikefriday I found this option that allows people to make a wall mural from their photos. I'll see what hubby thinks.

https://www.limitlesswalls.com/collections/murals

Is there another I should consider?

• kl23
    Original Author
    last month
    last modified: last month

Yesterday I met the designer at a store to decide on doorknobs, hinges, cabinet pulls, and registers. The store was being remodeled but was still full. We worked with someone one-on-one and I learned a lot about metal finishes from both of them.

The designer had me touch and hold the doorknobs and pulls to make sure they were comfortable. She had me thinking about how each of the metals would look with the dark greens we envisioned for each surface. We selected two or three metals: chrome in the bathrooms, brass for the doorknobs for the three bedroom doors, either brass or bronze for the registers (depending on the floor). Basically, it was a matter of choosing the desired level of contrast. I wish I could remember the name of the type of brass and wish I had taken a picture! It reminded me of what I am used to seeing in very old buildings. It ages with time and developed a patina. I thought my husband would like it especially, but we haven't discussed it yet. The chrome was appealing to add a cool silvery sparkle against dark surfaces. I found myself attracted to squares for pulls and especially to "bail pulls". The smaller of the two squares on this picture were about right. There was a lot of discussion about proportion, how my ceilings are 8' or less. The door handle I settled on was smaller than others, and the guy at the store reminded us a couple times to tell the contractor not to pre-bore the holes, because the small square face plate wouldn't cover the standard bore size. The designer talked about door styles and was surprised but ok with choosing traditional 6-panel doors to lean just a little into the neo-Colonial style of the house, though she didn't think it was really neo-Colonial. I think she thought it might be a challenge to convince me to choose solid doors, but I was already there.

@RedRyderr and @ilikefriday she was leaning hard into no white baseboards, crown moulding, doors, or trim of any kind...all colors! And the ceiling! I told her I was up for decorative ceilings, and we talked briefly about where and how those would be most beneficial...out in the parking area. She also told me we would be choosing Benjamin Moore paints. The contractor likes Sherwin Williams. But they love her, so I assume they will fold. She showed me her three cases of Benjamin Moore panels and her single case of Sherwin Williams panels as she explained BM has more colors and markets towards designers and architects, while SW markets towards builders and contractors. She said we should talk more about colors soon. I anticipate really enjoying that part after hearing this discussion of "more colors". At one point she told the guy in the store that we were looking at varied browns and I hadn't realized that, so I think we need clarity there too.

She said she was having difficulty finding sources of glue-down solid cork flooring in chocolate brown. Most are in warm caramel browns. We briefly spoke of cork alternatives. She said if we went back to tile, we would need better underlayment. I said the cork she already chose also required high-quality underlayment. I am not opposed and embrace quality underlayment. Function is so important. We both understand we MUST nail down the flooring SOON.

@Jan Moyer and others who encouraged hiring a designer: I am so much more confident this project will be a success with a designer involved. I am being given choices I never would have seen with the contractor 's designer who would have steered me to builder-grade materials or sent me off on my own to find anything other than.

Also out in the parking area (beautiful weather) I mentioned I had considered flat doors for the closets to enable us to use wallpaper or other special treatments or to just blend in better with the walls, and she seemed to find the wallpaper idea interesting. I then said I had even considered mirrored closet doors for the primary bedroom to reflect the light and views from the opposing wall with its sliders and window. I said I'd read some people found it un-nerving and thought it could look cheap. She confirmed they could look cheap but that depended on presentation and that they looked great with wood frames or beveled edges. I emphasize I had always loved beveled glass. We might be headed to another store...

This is going well.

• ilikefriday
    last month

Sounds like you are making solid progress!

• kl23
    Original Author
    last month

The designer found a solid glue-down cork in a chocolate color! Edipo pattern in Cocoa color. She'll get samples. So excited! This is a huge step. Need to find out if these tiles are ok in bathrooms or if we need to find a porcelain tile for the bathroom floors. Also need to choose an on-site polyurethane finish (satin gloss, refinish every five years) or pre-finished oil wax finish (very low gloss, easy to spot finish). Leaning towards the latter.

https://www.duro-design.com/en/cork/colors/edipo/#.browns-11

• Lynn Lou
    last month

So much fun stuff going on!! You've been busy busy! I'm so glad this desinger is working out so well. That Cocoa floor is great. I'm super intrigued by cork flooring. Can't wait to see it in your space.

• kl23
    Original Author
    last month

Nice to hear from you @Lynn Lou and glad you like the cork. I like this pattern better than others. I'd love to see it in the cocoa.

Yes, I've been busy. Having an interior designer the contractor doesn't argue with is a blessing. I get enough of that at work! I am amazed and reassured at how focused she is compared to pre-on-the-clock. Exactly how I like it!

• RedRyder
    last month

Which color of the NUMEROUS brown cork floor options do you like best? What a color chart! 😊. A professional designer has options to products we can’t even imagine. This floor solution is a huge step.

I’m glad you are getting professional help that you enjoy working with. And who your contractor likes.

• kl23
    Original Author
    last month

Me too @RedRyder ! I like the Edipo in Cocoa but I think the designer is getting me other samples to make sure.

• RedRyder
    last month

Wenge, Mika and Moka too? I’m guessing she’ll bring those samples as well.

Not surprised you like the cocoa! A rich, dark brown just like you’re looking for.

• kl23
    Original Author
    last month

@RedRyder I agree that I'd like to see all those. I showed hubby the floor pattern and up-close color and he liked it.

• kl23
    Original Author
    last month

@Lynn Lou @RedRyder @ilikefriday

It seems that working with this interior designer vascilates between explosions of decisions that are really too much for me and periods of calm that cause me to be impatient. When you think I've been busy, it's because we went to some store one afternoon and looked at a lot of something and made choices. @RedRyder is it like that for you and your designer? It's OK, but uncomfortable. Maybe that just proves I need her.

The most important choice that determines everything else is the flooring and we still haven't nailed that down. I stare at the tiles we chose. I put them in the bathroom downstairs, because it's the only room in the house with the modern lighting we are heading towards. I think things like the one shower floor tile isn't dark enough and looks almost white. Then I think about how the toilet and towels also will be white. And my head goes in a circle. What is that and what is the cure? Or is it perfectly fine?

The designer and I play this game of tennis where one of us lobs a ball over a net, and the other lobs it back or let's it bounce by. I told her not to let me choose anything that violates basic principles of art so she talks about proportion, balance, texture, reflectance and I am reassured.

It's so intense that when I come home I can't even discuss it with hubby. I have to let my mind settle, prioritize, and then discuss it in the morning. But that happens with work topics too, especially if I had an intense day. Maybe the process is going perfectly and I just need to get used to it. You think so?

• kl23
    Original Author
    last month

Ok... What do you think about tile on the ceiling? My first thought is that I don't want it to be large format in case it comes crashing down on my head. My second thought is it might be good with an alcove shower with a shower door. It's not necessary with my new shower downstairs which has no door or curtain. But upstairs it will get steamy during the shower. And a painted ceiling might peal away like it already does because our current fans aren't great. I think our upstairs ceilings are colder than we know and more likely to condense steam. A good fan is essential. Maybe a heated ceiling to prevent condensation? Or tile the shower ceiling?

• kl23
    Original Author
    last month

Or how about insulation between the ceiling drywall and the cold attic joists (even though there is tons of insulation between the joists? Then just paint. That seems simplest.

• RedRyder
    last month

My situation was very different. I bought an existing house and moved a whole house of furniture to it. My designer helped me with choosing a countertop (I refaced the kitchen), several light fixtures, paint color for the kitchen-laundry-mudroom and furniture placement in our very large (initially overwhelming) great room and the master.

I didn’t start from scratch, which would probably overwhelm me too. A lot of decisions!!

I think our process was we talked about what I needed (for example a countertop) and then went shopping to all the stone places in Nashville. She nixed certain products because of the house I have, but we agreed on what WOULD work. When it came to lighting, I just let her show me ideas on Wayfair, or other sites, and I usually just bought what she suggested. If I found something I thought worked, I ran it by her. This all happened 7 years ago, and if I need her again, I will call her.

She worked on an hourly basis.

• kl23
    Original Author
    last month

The cork samples arrived! The scare the two patterns in Cocoa. You know how sometimes you see a thing and say, "Yes!"? I felt that way about the Cocoa Edipo. It's on the right.

• kl23
    Original Author
    last month

Sorry... These are two patterns in Cocoa. In all fairness, I worked from 1am this morning until 1:30 this afternoon...outdoors in high winds and occasionally wet. But I am so happy to hold my cocoa cork. It does feel pretty good and looks so pretty to me.

• RedRyder
    last month

Very satisfying to find something you really wanted and found it in exactly the material you wanted! It’s going to be very unusual AND pretty AND easy on your back. Triple win.

• kl23
    Original Author
    19 days ago

I've been looking at the tile in the 3500k light of my downstairs bathroom and thinking the tiles I chose for the primary bathroom are not as pleasing as those I chose for the other two. I'm thinking of using the same silver-grey tiles in all three bathrooms. Those are the ones on the right. There's also a small block of Santa Rita soapstone in the picture, half oiled months ago. I think those colors go well together.

The designer says 3500k is a lot and she would use 2700k to 3000k, so I shouldn't worry about the pebbles being too bright. No problem, the electrician chose the 3500k. Still... if I really like the color and love the silky pebbles, why choose anything else? She's double-checking on whether the cork can take standing water. If not, the pavers in the shower surround can do double duty on the floor in 2" tiles. There I would be sealing grout lines again. So I hope the solid cork will be as waterproof as Google says.

• kl23
    Original Author
    16 days ago

Water on the family room floor Saturday evening caused a kerfuffle. We worried or was seeping up or there was a crack in the concrete. No, seal broke between shower and drain in primary bathroom. Contractor fixed it today. Good contractor... 😊

• kl23
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Thinking about how to conceal the ceiling door to the attic. Found an old post from 2009 on Houzz that wasn't very helpful. Found some on-line advice that didn't offer good photos. I'm thinking of creating some extensive crown moulding into a shallow coffered ceiling with a cross bar on the door itself and in shades of dark green and varied gloss levels. Thoughts?

Also, what are thoughts on using a remote-control motorized system to lower and raise the door?

• ilikefriday
    13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

Water can be a disaster. Glad you handled it quickly. As for the attic, a coffered ceiling might work but I would be concerned about weight. Other ideas might include Art3d tiles or wallpaper.

• RedRyder
    12 days ago

Does the door have a staircase attached that comes down when you pull on the door? I had that set up in my previous house.

• kl23
    Original Author
    12 days ago

@Red Ryder this is what I was thinking of for attic access: https://www.fakro.com/loft-ladders/electrically-operated-scissors-loft-ladder/

Or

https://www.amazon.com/Frezon-Electric-Ceiling-electirc-Aluminum/dp/B09M3WP6JJ/ref=asc_df_B09M3WP6JJ/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=673703835252&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12154014973471347029&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9007838&hvtargid=pla-2204527588251&psc=1&mcid=7d4cdb0b997638fdab4421e648b13a1e

I like the design that provides a sort of handrail. I have read of three access options. One is a pull-down string. One is a hook or loop you have to catch with a pole with a hook on it. Then there's the motorized version with a switch or remote and a loop backup you could access with a pole, string, or from a ladder. The video in the Amazon link is interesting.

• kl23
    Original Author
    12 days ago

@ilikefriday duh! You are SO spot on! Ceiling tiles are a much better solution. Thank you! They provide just the right atmosphere for what I am working towards. Now to find just the right tile to camouflage the door...

My thoughts around the upstairs hallway have to include the odd horizontal lighting coming from the west window and decorative light in the stairwell. So... Tin ceiling tile or paintable? If paintable, what gloss level?

OK, then there's the size. Apparently, 2'x2' or 2'x4' are common. Either way, that's just slightly off of a door opening, so maybe some moulding will be needed too.

Well, you've certainly given me some math homework. Thanks for the inspiration!

• kl23
    Original Author
    12 days ago

After driving to see the totality, my car needs a new transmission at 250K miles and 25 years. I don't think so. New car time.

• ilikefriday
    12 days ago

When I suggested tiles I was thinking 3d like this. They are available lin a variety of shapes, are light weight, and paintable. I used them on a cabinet a few years ago.

• ilikefriday
    12 days ago

When I suggested tiles I was thinking 3d like this. They are available lin a variety of shapes, are light weight, and paintable. I used them on a cabinet a few years ago.

• ilikefriday
    12 days ago

Wow. 250k miles for a car is a lot. I hope mine will last that long. What kind is it?

• kl23
    Original Author
    11 days ago

@ilikefriday It's a 1999 Honda Accord, 6 cylinder. I'm grieving.

• kl23
    Original Author
    11 days ago

@ilikefriday yes those are nice and contemporary. Thanks for examples. The art3d store has so many options. Thanks!

• kl23
    Original Author
    11 days ago

Dear hubby pointed out that any car I've driven for 25 years has got me out of a lot of traffic jams and helped me accomplish a lot of missions. It's become a part of who I am as it's helped me become who I am. So, no wonder I'm grieving over... a car. I think I'll keep dear hubby. 😍

• btydrvn
    9 days ago

Funny how the right car kinda becomes part of the “ family”..we have two like that..hate the day we have to replace either…

• kl23
    Original Author
    9 days ago

@btydrvn at least my "chic-up truck" is still with me! Came in handy yesterday working on the tailgate most of the day in the warm sunshine. It's blessedly lower to the ground than my work trucks. I'm 5'3".

Who knows, maybe I will love the new vehicle. Hubby and I think it will be the upscale version of a hybrid Toyota RAV4. I read it has some giddy up off the post... always liked that about my V6 Accord. A Tesla owner was obviously feeling frisky at a traffic light the other day, and I empathized.

Part of this is that I am grieving that part of my life too. The kids were just starting high school. We'd just moved here to this wonderful climate and more trees than they'd ever seen. I was finally getting a "real" job, delayed by staying home while the kids were little (no regrets and no judgements of how anyone else manages). That car saw them through high school, college, those tumultuous years, even an overnight race to my boy's side after he was t-boned by a drunk driver who blew a red light. He's fine and we've been through much worse in the Marines. It even hauled my grandgirls around. That whirlwind part of my life... it was beautiful... not pretending it was perfect though.

And I need to remember that these next 25 years can be just as good. After one last thing on my bucket list, I can retire like dear hubby just did. I can get more involved with our local grandgirls just like he is, and travel more to see our distant grandkids. And after we finish renovating the upstairs, we can have company stay with us! The grandgirls can have sleepovers! As I declutter for that renovation, I need to remember I am preparing for the next stage, and to make sure I enjoy every bit of it that I can. And the new "car" will be part of it, right? And so will the "new" house. I can be as happy about my new car as I am about my new house, right? Right? @ilikefriday @Red Ryder @Lynn Lou ?

• RedRyder
    9 days ago

You’ve asked the wrong person. I am a car nut and have loved all of my cars - even the ones I leased and then gave up. I did have a Mitsubishi Diamanté for a long time and definitely loved that car excessively. My current 2019 MKZ Hybrid is chugging along but I’ve been curious about the new electric and Plug-In Hybrids. I do very few miles per year, so that puts me in a certain category of drivers.

I think I’m more attached to memories that cling to my former houses than my cars. But then again, I didn’t chauffeur kids around and I’m sure those memories are strong.