SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bob_cville

Outdoor Unit of Mini-Split System in Carport?

bob_cville
5 years ago

We're building a barn, and my wife is now deciding that the tack room which will be insulated and finished maybe should have air conditioning in addition to the necessary heating to prevent pipes from freezing.

I've been investigating options from a window unit designed for through-the-wall installation, or a "package terminal air conditioner" like is found in most motels, or installing a small ductless mini-split system.

With the first two the unit obviously has to be on the outside wall, and will stick though wall. With the mini-split the most obvious solution would be to have the indoor unit where in roughly the same location (show below in green) with the outside unit either immediately outside or down more toward the corner of the building:

But another option that occurs to me is that the indoor unit could be on the wall shared with the feed room (shown in yellow), and the outdoor unit could be mounted high on the wall in the open lean-to (which has a roof, but is completely open at each end.)

Would this set-up be reasonable? Would there be any detriment to the operation of the system? Could it actually be beneficial since the right hand side of the image faces west and receives a lot of afternoon sun?

Additionally has anyone here installed one of the mini-split systems that advertise themselves as DIY friendly?

Thanks

Comments (5)