SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roarahgw

Adding ac to older house

roarah
5 years ago

We are ready to install ac to our 1920s house. We are torn between a dual ducted ductless system with a ducted attic and second floor rooms with ceiling cassette vents with heat pump option and one large wall split downstairs. My house is small with just a thousand sqft on the first floor so one 18000 btu split should provide enough coolness. The only issue is it has to be strategically placed in my formal dining room. We really have limited closets to add duct work to the first floor, we also do not want to cut into our first floor ceilings for we have tongue and groove and tin ceilings on this floor so ducted mini is not a great option on this level.

Another option is a bit cheaper and would intale putting wall minisplits in all upstairs bedrooms. The only concern, other than aesthetic is one bedroom would need the unit on an interior wall and I have heard this can become a leak issue and the pumps are a bit noisy too.

We also got quotes for high velocity ac. The price is on par with what we planned to spend the issue is the tech mentioned that it is more of a dehumitifing system and does not cool the actual temp as well as other ac systems but due to eliminating the overall humidity the relative temp will be more comfortable. I like the aesthetic of this system best but at a woman of certain age ;) I do need low night temps to sleep and am concerned about that. Also the seer rating does not come close to the minisplits and the environment side of me thinks this should be more important than aesthetics .

What are you opinions or advice or experiences to adding ac to your older house? Would a mini split ruin the character of an older house in your opinion?

Thanks.

Comments (14)