SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lalala_gw

Front plant choices

Lalala (zone 6b)
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi! I posted a picture of my house in winter to get some planting ideas. Now that things are blooming, I am back to see if anyone wants to give more informed suggestions.

I went out to Stonegate Gardens in Lincoln and got some good advice, but am still a bit undecided.

Here are my main questions.

1. Most urgent: what to put on either side of the front door? The previous owners had hinoki cypress which they came back to get this spring. So now we have two holes. On the right side there is a sprawling nepeta that is almost covering the hole. On the left there is much more space. Of the options presented at the nursery, the three I liked were: a) Inkberry, which is inexpensive enough that if it gets leggy in a few years I'd just replace it b) some kind of ilex japonica that looks like boxwood but is less pricey or c) just fill in with more perennials. Match nepeta and iris on the other side. Add something else small near the steps. Over the winter we talked about doing large pots but I don't think I want to do that for now.

2. Secondary questions: I want to replace the yews on the corners, though may wait until fall to do it. They are both currently exactly 4'x4' (I measured). On the right the plant would need to be not much wider than 4' because of the driveway. I am considering fothergilla but would also like other ideas. I would have liked a hydrangea paniculata or lilac, but is it possible to keep to 4' wide?

On the left I'm considering a small tree or large tree-like shrub. I have posted about this previously. Still uncertain. Contenders: magnolia liliflora or soulangeana, dogwood florida, lilac, hydrangea paniculata, or cherry.

thanks for any suggestions you have!!

Front of house. Large plants on left from L-R are: Yew, tiny hydrangea macrophylla (still filling in), rhododendron, hydrangea of unknown type (full of buds--will find out soon), allium across front. On right: netpeta, lily in back, allium, siberian iris, sedum, spirea, daphne, yew. I plan to plant a couple of peonies on each side and two lady's mantle to cover the dying allium (and because I love peony and lady's mantle).

Left side:

Right side:

Comment (1)