SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anoukq

hose timers: the stupidest question imaginable? am I missing something

anoukq
5 years ago

SO I am a new gardener, and establishing a lawn (quite late in the season, but I did it all myself and underestimated how long it would take to amend the soil, grade, etc.). As such, I'm watering lightly several times a day.

I'm going out of town for about four days and want to make this as easy as possible for my friend to maintain. Thinking about getting a cheap hose timer: battery operated or not, but nothing "smart" or anything.

One thing that I don't understand and I haven't seen addressed wherever I've looked is how the water is turned on. That is, do I have to leave the tap running? I assume there is overflow. Unless you get some complicated unit (think maybe Rube Goldberg), how does the water turn on and off?

This is especially important because I'm in a rental situation where I have no outdoor tap. Running a hose from my kitchen faucet, out the window, around the house, and to my rotary sprinkler. An overflow would be a complete disaster (and probable grounds for eviction).

Could someone explain this to me like a five year old? :) What am I missing?

Also, if there are any good ones that are obtainable for ~$30 or less, that allow for multiple waterings a day, would love a brand suggestion.

Thank you!

Comments (9)