SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jformanek06

Help! White trim vs Wood (stained)?

J P
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Are you picking white trim or wood (stained trim) for the interior of your home? Pros and cons between the two? I seriously can’t decide which one and feel like it makes or breaks the whole flow/look of our house! Concerned that the white will not hold up as well with wear and tear? But love the look! Anyone have white and wish they didn’t? If so for what reasons? Any help is appreciated! :)

Comments (27)

• User
    5 years ago

White is the cheaper choice because real wood doesn’t even have to be used. That’s why spec home builders choose it. Stain grade trim is an expensive upgrade.

J P thanked User
  • Oaktown
    5 years ago

We have a mix. Wood trim for first floor and stair windows, exterior doors (to match window/door material). White baseboards and interior door trim. The white door casing makes it easier to see finger smudge marks when the kids haven't properly washed their hands -- is that a pro or a con?

J P thanked Oaktown
  • Related Discussions

white vs wood colored trim

Q

Comments (3)
    Blue, I would recommend taking a look at your whole kitchen remodel, what your design thoughts were, and how that fits with the rest of the house. If the remodeling you are doing is consistent with the rest of the house, then it would make sense that you would leave the wood trim the same as the rest of the house, and in this case, the unpainted trim should match the cabinets. If you are putting a modern kitchen in an older house (for example), then I would consider painting the trim to match the kitchen. Also ask yourself if the contractor is really experienced in his recommendation. I am sure he has a lot of experience with remodeling, but does most of his other remodels include painting trim and that's what he thinks is best, or does he have a valid point? I know a lot of people who would consider painting trim not to be a good thing. It doesn't bother me, and I like the way painted trim brightens up a room. If you are really not sure what to do even after you talk to people, I would say leave the trim alone. If you don't like it in a month or a year, it will be easier to paint it later than to make it natural wood again. I am sure your kitchen will be beautiful and you will get a lot of enjoyment out of it. Let us know what you decide on. Hope this helps. Tim
    ...See More

White cabinets with all other trim stained wood?

Q

Comments (1)
    I have stained woodwork throughout the house,stained doors etc and white kitchen cabinets. I think it looks fine. never really thought about it not going together. I have wood floors and wanted my doors/trim to match, but didn't want wood cabs because my kitchen would be too dark. Get what you want, what you like and don't worry about it!
    ...See More

White door with wood-stained trim?

Q

Comments (14)
    If you can start with the same wood, it will help in matching the stain. Woods take stain differently and the underlying colors will make the color stain you use look different. A gunstock stain looks different on maple as it does on cherry or walnut or oak. If that's the raw wood in your picture, it looks like walnut, which has a chocolate color. You probably won't want to spend the big bucks it would take to custom make five walnut doors but you may be able to use a maple or stain-grade poplar and the right stain to get a close look. You've got gorgeous trim, you want to go the extra mile to make sure the doors come as close as possible. Also, use a sanding sealer before you stain or take it to someone who does this professionally.
    ...See More

Painting trim vs leaving wood stained

Q

Comments (4)
    Do not follow trends. Trends are like fads, they come and they go. Wood is making a comeback anyway. If your wood trim etc are good quality, then leave them stained. New houses that have all the painted trim, usually have a cheaper grade wood or mdf for trim.
    ...See More
  • wacokid
    5 years ago

White is not a "cheap choice". Some homes look better with white trim and others with stained wood. My home actually has "real wood" trim that was painted, by the previous owners. Many of the posts here on house are homes that have stained wood trim and cabinets and people are tired of the look and want to paint over it. Do what fits your home.

J P thanked wacokid
  • PRO
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
    5 years ago

It depends a lot on the homestyle IMO. White is easier to design around usually, but wood does add some charm (as long as it's not the cheap fake stuff).

J P thanked Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
  • aprilneverends
    5 years ago

I'd say: it's very house-dependent. Some houses were born to have stained trim, some painted, some can handle both. Agree the better the wood itself the easier the choice:)

If you're willing to tell us a bit more about the house, its style, maybe show pics...the answers will be more specific to your house thus more helpful

Trim is part of the whole, thus a decision should be made knowing what this whole is/strives to be.

J P thanked aprilneverends
  • User
    5 years ago

If budget is an issue vs style, you bet painted is the cheaper choice. Just go price a stick of a nice crown molding in MDF vs a stick of stain grade oak or cherry. Even a stain grade poplar is easily more than twice the money and twice the labor to have done. It’s why it’s called an upgrade.

J P thanked User
  • amiebeth01
    5 years ago

I prefer white. We had it in our previous house and we are using it in our new build. I did grow up in the Midwest, though, and everything was wood (usually oak). The trim, the doors, the cabinetry. I think I developed an aversion :-).

I have 4 kids (2 are rough and tumble boys), 2 dogs, and 2 cats. Lived with white trim for 11 years with no issues.

J P thanked amiebeth01
  • larkspurproject
    5 years ago

Opinions are just that. My opinion is I prefer white trim, it's easy to wipe down and keep clean. I've had white baseboards with oak floors as well as natural stone and carpet. It goes with everything and easier to update when needed.

J P thanked larkspurproject
  • gthigpen
    5 years ago

Just as others have said, this is a personal opinion question and/or style of the house question. Like amiebeth - I grew up in the midwest with oak everything. I joke that I have oak/wood PTSD. I vastly prefer white trim and have had in all my houses in Texas. But if I had an original craftsman or similar style home, I'd pick oak so it fits with that style.

White trim WILL show more dust/dirt/smudges than wood. I personally have a 'thing' for clean trim. I notice if my trim is dirty it at my house, I notice it other people's houses. I clean my baseboards weekly but it's as simple as using my vacuum wand over them all. The area around my door knobs get wiped down monthly. So I may clean mine more often than most, not sure but mine always looks pretty good. As an aside, my mother has a thing for clean windows and washes hers regularly. Mine get cleaned once every ten years! :)

J P thanked gthigpen
  • aprilneverends
    5 years ago

gthigpen just to say I'm like you but my thing is floors..:) if I even briefly didn't sweep and mop mine it means I'm running a fever..a high one lol

same with making beds etc

trim and windows somehow don't get same attention, not even close

J P thanked aprilneverends
  • PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    5 years ago

Well, certainly architectural style and accuracy should be the first criterion. After that, it becomes a matter of visual harmony or contrast. Painted trim (white or any other color), can be visually harmonious with painted walls. I'll say it again, painted trim doesn't have to be white.

Stained wood trim can be visually harmonious with similar wall materials and finishes (albeit often very dark and grainy, depending on wood species and sawn patterns).

And keep in mind that there are both synthetic and natural wood trim materials. While synthetic materials are generally made to be painted, the natural wood materials, with proper selection, may be painted or stained, depending on the wood species selected.

What is really visually non-harmonious, in the majority of cases, is mixing both painted interior materials and stained interior materials, be it trim, doors, beams or whatever. That's because painted and stained materials visually fight one another for dominance and attention.

My advice: pick paint or stain, one or the other, as your interior finish materials of choice. Don't mix them.

J P thanked Virgil Carter Fine Art
  • nini804
    5 years ago

I personally do not like the look of stained trim, at all. I wouldn’t care if it was the most exquisite walnut or endangered cypress, or the barn wood from the stables at Monticello...I cannot tolerate how the stained trim “outlines” the room from the crown to the base to the casings. Sophie, it is NOT considered a “cheap” choice to have painted trim here in the South East. It is very much dependent on the style of the home. OP, our builder used oil based paint on our trim and it looks exactly the same as when we moved in 6 1/2 years ago. No upkeep issues at all. I have two children & a dog.

J P thanked nini804
  • jtz58
    5 years ago
    stained trim might be an "upgrade" but nothing screams 1970 like stained trim. our house had horrible brown stained trim throughout when we purchased it and it was changed immediately. Lightened the entire look of the house.
    J P thanked jtz58
  • torreykm
    5 years ago

I agree with nini804. I've always had white and always will (unless I get a rustic cabin). Stained trim may be considered an upgrade in some circumstances, but in the area I live (coastal southeast), the vast majority of homes (historic, new, middle-aged, high-end, low-end) have painted trim. Our white trim was also painted with oil based paint and has held up very well (no yellowing either).

J P thanked torreykm
  • Lisa SW
    5 years ago
    I’ve had both. One pro to painted trim is that it’s much easier to touch up paint than scuffed up stain. I agree it’s very house specific. I prefer my now white trim, but I was suffering from midwestern 1990s orange oak overload. Paint the trim in my daughter’s turn-of-the century Tudor — never!
    J P thanked Lisa SW
  • Mrs Pete
    5 years ago

In my adult life, I've always had wood trim -- and I've always wanted white trim. I think it looks brighter, cleaner, more fresh.

J P thanked Mrs Pete
  • Caroline Hamilton
    5 years ago

We have stain grade cherry trim and painted it white... the house was built in the late 90's and I did not want the 80's look I grew up with.

J P thanked Caroline Hamilton
  • jhmarie
    5 years ago

I have white trim but wood doors and cabinets. I love the mix - the brightness of the white mixed with the warmth of wood. I have white MDF doors in the basement - I like my wood paneled doors much better.

Not my house:

• Momma K
    5 years ago

Jhmarie- love it. We are doing white trim with stained doors in our new build. I’ve had several people look at me like I’m crazy when I say it, but I think it will be a perfect combination. Thanks for posting the pics!

J P thanked Momma K
  • Colette
    5 years ago
    I'm glad to hear other people have had oak overload! I thought I was the only one! We picked out black inside and out windows in our house and have white trim. It's a very modern look and not for everyone but I love it and haven't regretted it! I searched a lot on Pinterest to see what kind of look I really liked. We have 4 kids and 2 dogs. Just got a new puppy. Not sure how I got talked into that one! Our trim is easy to wash. I don't think I'm washing it any more with the white trim then with our old house with oak trim. . My kids (and husband) are very hard on things and haven't been overwhelmed cleaning it. It still looks great!
    J P thanked Colette
  • Oaktown
    5 years ago

I think stained is easier to get "wrong" and white is hard to mess up ;-) Stained trim might somewhat limit compatible wall colors.

I don't like most stains, we only used clear finish (Rubio Monocoat). Would have done white trim on all the doors and windows but those were such a pretty Doug fir we did trim to match.

J P thanked Oaktown
  • RaiKai
    5 years ago

In case you have not figured it out - ha - it is all a personal preference. I lean towards more modern style and design, and find I prefer simple and sleek white trim. I also really like interesting art pieces, etc and white trim “fades” more into the background as a blank canvas to display that art (or other interesting furniture, fixtures, etc) rather than stand out itself (someone above mentioned how wood tends to “frame” a room).

Honey oak aside (which I spent most of my teens living in), I have lived in character homes or older homes with original beautiful stained wood trims, and appreciated it for what it was, but it never quite felt like “me”. To me, even if the room is stripped of almost everything, stained wood trim can add a bit of visual clutter.

I have never had any issues with keeping white trim clean or with any “upkeep”. But I don’t tend to go around banging into my walls or rubbing grimey hands on it. And if it is dirty? At least I can see it and give it a quick wipe down!

J P thanked RaiKai
  • PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    5 years ago

So much depends on the style and formality level of the house, as well as the type of trim and species of wood. In my 1920s Colonial Revival home, all the trim in the original portion of the home is painted white, which is appropriate for the time period the home was built. In the new family room, we decided to go very casual and rustic, and used reclaimed antique heart pine on the base and ceiling moldings, all the door and window casings, floor-to-ceiling fireplace mantel, and rough-sawn ceiling beams/trusses. All the trim except the ceiling was finished with clear tung oil. Anyone who sees it comments on the gorgeous wood. It would be a crime to paint that wood.

Whether you go with paint-grade or stained wood trim, don't overlook the size and proportion of the trim elements. There's nothing that says "cheap" like skimpy moldings. And if you decide on stained wood, select a species that is attractive and takes stain well, like cherry, walnut, quarter-sawn oak, but not yellow pine.

J P thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • nanj
    5 years ago

My bet: Pricing your options will help you make a decision! Every.single.thing. in a custom build requires a decision based on want versus budget. If you are torn between stained and painted, find out the total cost (material and labor) - then decide if stained is where you want to spend a bundle.

J P thanked nanj
  • Lyndee Lee
    5 years ago
    Depends on the style of the house is my answer. I disagree with the idea that all the trim should match, instead my belief is that all trim of a particular grouping should be treated the same, but the grouping criteria can vary. All interior doors are stained is valid or everything in the basement is painted is valid but flip a coin categorizing just won't work.

The house I am selling is from 1931 and has stained wood in the public spaces with white trim in the kitchen, baths, and bedrooms. We did have the center hall crown stripped of a previous owner's paint as it was originally stained and we felt it fit better in the grouping of stained wood. In my 1933 Tudor next house, I chose to paint all the new trim in the basement and finished attic white and not change the existing stained trim. I added crown in the main floor and worked quite diligently over many hours to match the color and finish of the original woodwork. Purchasing, finishing and installing stained trim is very expensive, in time, money or both, and I don't consider it to be worth the expense in a newly built space. I occasionally see new stain woodwork of fantastic quality and design but so much of it either looks cheap or pretentious to my eye, although I know it was an expensive item
    J P thanked Lyndee Lee
  • Carolyn T
    5 years ago

I have had both. In the house we are building now which is a mountain house we have knotty alder trim and doors throughout the house. We have had knotty alder before in our Utah house. What I prefer about the knotty alder is that you just have to dust it and because it is rustic, dings don't really show. We have white trim and doors in our current home but it is a more traditional home. The white trim shows everything and I don't like it. My advice to you if you do white trim is make sure you write down the name of the paint color so that when you need to do touch-ups it will be easy to match. Choose what makes you happy and what you are willing to live with in terms of upkeep.

J P thanked Carolyn T