SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
doc_k55

Blue Star 36" Platinum Review; Thermador Masterpiece review

doc_k55
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I've been using my Blue Star 36" Platinum for about a year, and as a public service I figured I would come back with a review. First, I love it! I also have a Thermador Masterpiece 30" wall oven (ME301JS)

A little bit about me so you know how to interpret my review: I'm a pretty serious cook. We are kosher and I have a child with celiac, so my equipment REALLY gets used to cook a wide variety of fairly exotic food. Plus, when I cook for family or friends, I'm usually cooking for 15 - 40 people. My favorite magazine is Cook's Illustrated and I am sad my kids are not experimental enough for me to cook more from the Gourmet cookbook. I do supplement with my slow cooker occasionally and my Instant Pot occasionally.

So, with that said:

- Blue Star heat can't be beat. I had a 48" range before but I don't miss the extra burners. With the power of the burners, things simply heat up and cook faster, so there is less of a need to run all the burners together. In fact, I've never run all my burners together.

- I am glad I only have one "powerful" burner. It's all I need. To be honest, if I really needed anything, it would be an extra simmer burner

- The simmer is definitely low enough for soup, beans, rice. I was worried about this but it has turned out to be just fine.

- I don't think that the oven handle or burner knobs get exceptionally hot when the oven is running. If the door is cracked, sure, but I'd expect that from radiant heat. They do get warm but it's nothing I can't deal with

- Cast iron is cast iron. I don't think it looks "bad" after things spill. It looks like cast iron

- Has been pretty easy to clean

- No self clean on the oven but that hasn't been a big issue for me

- Definitely a learning curve; high heat on the burners really means high heat; but this also means that meat really sears and stir fry is really fast.

- I am ashamed to admit I haven't used the griddle or grill, even once, since I purchased this. It is on my to-do list for the summer. Really.

- Things I don't like:

1. Except for the gliding oven rack in the middle, the upper and lower racks don't pull out smoothly

2. My Thermador preheats faster

3. Tall dishes (rather than wide) require that I remove an oven rack

4. convection doesn't really mean the same thing in a gas oven as it does in an electric oven

5. Learning curve. Gotta be careful of that open flame until you know what you're doing. Start low and go slow

All in, though, I think this is a great range for a serious cook.

Now, as for Thermador:

- Awesome, fast preheat

- bunches of settings. I don't really know how to use them all, because I learned to cook with much less fancy equipment, but I've had some fun playing around with them

- racks slide more easily than in my Blue Star

- less radiation of heat than Blue Star

- Cooks baked goods evenly (I actually bought the Thermador for baked goods!)

Things I don't like:

I worry about that touchscreen control panel. It seems finicky, and I'm a little worried that one day it will just decide to stop working

Sometimes it doesn't seem to truly be at the temperature I expect it to be at.

I installed oven thermometers in both ovens.

Other info:

I bought the matching Thermador microwave. I think it works fine. Husband doesn't like that the "add minute" button isn't associated with automatic start but that the start button must be pressed after the "add minute." Otherwise seems to work fine

Hood: Sirius. It's not one of the exciting and gorgeous models out there, but it does the job and - I LOVE this - the hood grills pop out and go in the dishwasher for cleaning. Score!! No more scrubbing for me.

Sorry for the faintly lopsided photo. The color is Brown Red, I think

Comments (8)