SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dirty_gardener

Thieving Mockingbird

dirtygardener
5 years ago

I was looking out my window into the courtyard this morning and saw a mockingbird eating the last of the tomatoes on my dying Everglades tomato that drowned from too much rain. I didn't begrudge him the tomatoes, but sitting on the table next to it was my little strawberry plant, which is growing and blooming like mad, and has two ripening strawberries on it right now. I shooed him because I don't want him to feel comfortable eating out of the courtyard garden, but I know that won't deter a mockingbird.

I brought the strawberry plant inside, and I'm going to look for some bird netting for it in my travels today. I don't know what kind of strawberry this is, but it's evidently everbearing, because it's just going crazy, and it has the sweetest berries. Small, but sweet.

I got the elderberry so I could have it for the birds to eat from. I know they love them. I want to feed the wildlife, but not my good food! LOL I guess I'll have to plant one of these baby Everglades in the outside garden for them to feast on.

Comments (7)