SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
happybear_gw

Need help on flagstone patio design on my sloppy backyard

happybear
5 years ago

Dear Friends,

I'm building a 8 feet radius round flagstone patio on my sloppy backyard (As pictured, DIY). I dig off a foot and half on the left, the front and right side of the patio will still be above the ground.

Originally my design is to build a base with 5 inches of crush stone base, surrounded by retaining wall block (left, front side). Mix about 2 inch of mortar and stick Flagstone (already bought 2 tons stone about 1.5-2" thickness) on top of the base and wall. I am hopping the mortal will hold the stone well so it won't shift off the slop. As I read more on the internet and I have the concern the patio will end up crack for the way I lay it (people mentioned different expansion ratio of the mortar and stone etc).

Here I would like to hear some advises for how should I continue.

1. Am I OK to continue my original plan. Will cracking really a concern in Atlanta GA area, the overall weather hear is mild with a few freezing days. I'll try to compact the base as much as i can. Maybe increase the mortal layer to 3 inches would help?

1. Should I build a rough concrete patio enforced with metal bar, say 3 inches thickness. On top, lay the flagstone with mortar. Will this keep the patio in shape better than plan 1 above.

2. Should I be better off dry laid flag stone. It actually take less effort to do. Add Stone dust on top of pave base and do dry laid. I am worry the rain water will end up wash off the base and fillings in the crack. It will be hard to keep the stones intact over the long run.

Really appreciate your comment to guide me further.

Comment

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio