SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nutsaboutplants

Does S2 of “The Handmaid’s Tale” freak you out.

nutsaboutplants
5 years ago

I loved Atwood’s novel and equally love the Hulu series. The novel and S1 of the Hampndmaid’s Tale rang true of our times and was troubling in how close to reality it seemed. But S2, which takes off where the novel and S1 left us, is as magnificently well-made as it is scary, at least for me. The creators’ portrayal of the pre-Gilead society in which most of its citizens miss the signs of the oncoming fascism due to their assessment that fascist movement is just a fringe element is what freaks me out. It would seem that there are the same signs all around us, families being separated, open xenophobia, increasing restrictions on a woman’s reproductive rights, anti-LGBTQ sentiments ... I could go on and on. Of course, it is not lost on me that’s the creators of the show are intentionally picking up on what’s happening around us as missed indications of dire developments and that this sense of panic and social angst the show creates in its audience is not accidental.

Anyway, am I alone in feeling that we are on the brink of fascism? I realize we all have varying beliefs and completely different social barometers. I don’t mean to offend anyone’s sensibilities and hope that we can discuss the current social climate in the US and even Europe without this becoming an unsafe topic. Thanks!

Comments (25)