SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rm101

Remove & Replace Bathroom Tile

rm101
5 years ago

A bathroom remodel was not in my immediate future but due to a suddenly cracked toilet & sink, I need to replace both. My current floor/wall tile is dated so installing new fixtures on old tile will kill me, but so will a complete bathroom renovation if I am forced to hire a professional. I’m a semi experienced DIYer but have never done any tiling. I would like to remove & replace the tile (still undecided about the floor) with the exception of the tub surround, which I will leave for later & a more experienced person.

Currently the tile goes halfway up but I would re-tile to the ceiling. My walls are plaster. I’ve chopped out some of the old tile to have a look behind. I can remove all the tile myself but my concern is the prep required once all is removed. I’ve read/watched forums/videos but am still unclear on what prep is required. Can I just apply adhesive & tile or do I need to use some backer-board or other materials? How flat does the wall need to be? Does all residue need to be removed?

Thanks for any comments & advice.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company