SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ericsfo_gw

Help needed for bathroom wall tile replacement project

ericsfo
11 years ago

Hi. Was wondering whether I could get some advice from folks here who are familiar with bathroom renovations.

We just bought a 10-year-old condo a couple of weeks ago and decided to attempt to replace the wall tiles in the bathtub area for cosmetic reasons. After watching a couple of youtube videos, it seemed like it would be very straightforward diy project. However, it was more difficult than we thought it would be.

The tiles were really difficult to remove. After 3.5 hours of pounding away with hammer and chisel, we only managed to remove about a quarter of the tiles. We also managed to poke a couple of holes in the drywall (probably 2-inch diameter holes). My arms are tired and I'm ready to call in professionals.

Does anyone think we should continue on? Are there tricks to removing tiles that we should know about? Do we really need to preserve the drywall or should we just cut out the drywall, which would obviously make removing the tiles much simpler? If we called in a contractor, would they typically just remove the entire wall or try to remove, resurface, and reuse the existing wall?

Thanks! Any suggestions/comments would be appreciated!

Comments (8)