SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lmarre123

Patio design dilemma - raised or level with ground?

Elizabeth
5 years ago

I'm stuck on this design dilemma and could use some advice! Our plan is to demo the small, concrete patio off of our french doors and rebuild a larger patio using bluestone. I've uploaded a picture of our current patio (which is obviously not looking so hot). You'll notice that you can walk straight out of the french doors onto the patio but there is one step down off of the patio onto the yard.

My question is should we elevate the patio again so that you can walk right out onto it, or should we do a landing area off doors with a step so that patio is flush with yard? I like the feel of walking right out the doors onto the patio, but the perimeter edge of the patio into the yard may be a bit weird looking and may also be a bit of a tripping hazard. Landscaper says he'd lay it flush if it were him, but husband likes it elevated.

I've included an inspiration picture mainly for the look of the Bluestone and border, but also as an example of what I think the elevated edge will look like. Our house is a 1939 Colonial home (if it matters). Any advice would be much appreciated - thank you!

Pelham Shingle Style for a Modern Family · More Info

Comments (3)