SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
geor0027

Muddy Backyard and Dogs- Ground Level Deck vs. Patio??

geor0027
6 years ago

Our 2 greyhounds love to spend their time romping in our backyard, in doing so destroying our grass and creating giant mud pits. The fact that we have abundant natural springs in the area doesn't help. A french drain has been installed which eliminates standing water, but the ground is often squishy and soft, especially in the spring. To make matters worse, there is a slight natural downslope towards our house, so the area just outside of our walkout basement is particularly prone to becoming a sloppy mess. With the dogs tearing things up, it is nearly impossible to keep grass growing, even with fencing off sections of yard at a time. After a few seasons of dealing with near constant mud, we are looking for solutions. I'm thinking of having a paved patio or a low deck installed in the areas closer to the house that become the most damp and muddy.

I've attached a few pics (from prior seasons) showing the area. Actually there is much less grass and a lot more mud now. If we added a patio or low deck, we would remodel the existing under-deck patio accordingly.

The grass in this pic was painstakingly grown (see fence) and then immediately destroyed once the dogs were let back into the area:

Where the dogs are in the pic below is the muddiest area most of the time.

This is what we spend our time doing: patch repair!

I think a patio would look nicer, but I'm afraid that it will just become wet and dirty. But I'm not sure what would become of a swampy area beneath a ground-level deck. Has anyone faced similar challenges? I'm open to other ideas as well. Any input would be appreciated! Thanks!

Comments (6)