SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eric_nolen_doerr

Shower design dilemma for lower level with radiant heated floors

Eric N-D
4 years ago

I currently live in a condominium complex and am looking to expand a completed 1/2 bath into a full bath with a walk-in shower on a lower level floor. In my research there is a necessary downslope needed for shower drains per linear foot and have concluded that approximately 8" of space below the drain itself is needed to accommodate the p-trap...which typically translates to cutting into the pre-existing foundation, which, in my space does not appear to be an option.

Our building has built-in radiant heating within the concrete floors of this lower level. The radiant heating is a continuous circuit for all the lower level rooms of the other 8 units in our building...disrupting/severing our section's tubing would cut off the radiant heat to the downstream units' rooms. My only solution would be to build up the shower floor 8-10", however, in other discussions it sounds like this doesn't aesthetically look good and comes across as a cheap "bandaid solution" for not wanting to cut into the foundation. The ceilings in this lower level are 8'9" so head space, even with building upwards the 8-10" will be manageable.

Was just throwing this dilemma out to the community for discussion to see if there would be any other alternatives or, is building up to create a raised shower floor my only feasible option and wondering how other's have navigated renovations on floors with pre-existing radiant heating.

Comments (5)