SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ingrid_vc

My "Spring Flush"

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

It should be well on its way but I think a combination of no rain and cooler than normal weather has confused the roses, and the result is fair to middlin'. On top of that, the native wildlife is in the process of decimating not only the smaller roses but also my day lilies, irises, pelargoniums and sea lavender. Everything has been chewed up and spit out, with leaves and broken-off iris blooms everywhere, and some pelargoniums with not a single bloom or bud left. It's the worst year yet in this regard because we have a bumper crop of young squirrels and the coyotes have not being doing their job, even though a biologist has counted three groups of them across the street, numbering 34 in all.

This is Notch Ear at the front door, whom we have known since she was a baby who grew up in our front yard. Naturally we're hoping no coyote ever finds her since she's practically a pet.

Baronne Henriette de Snoy has acquired a few more blooms. Notice the partially mangled sea lavender.

Two unidentified bunnies caught at their plein air luncheon.

Rhodologue Jules Gravereaux has finally begun to bloom

Mme. Leon Pain is not far behind with her first flower.

Marie Pavie with her close friend, International Herald Tribune

Duchesse de Brabant, also a latecomer in her shady spot

Here I'm recording the depradation wrought by the lagomorphs and squirrels. The little pelargonium at the base of the slender tree trunk used to sport the prettiest lilac pink flowers almost year-round.

Notch Ear and friend chowing down. That poor rose bush in the very front used to be a round and chubby Bishop's Castle. Not even half is left.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH