SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elizabeth_boisvert

Can you help me figure out what type of professional I need to consult

We recently bought a 70s bilevel that is in livable condition but needs a lot of work. The issues run the gamut from structural to aesthetic and everything in between, but nothing is really an emergency. We were lucky to be able to afford a home in our area at all, but post purchase we are left with very little cash to make improvements. My husband and I have very little planning and design savvy, and we‘re feeling paralyzed about how to prioritize projects when so many things feel necessary. I’m confident that over the next five years or so we’ll be ae to manage most of the improvements, but the money will come in small chunks. At the moment it’s not even very well furnished because we moved from a tiny rental furnished with a mish mash of cheap IKEA or Craigslist items. Everything looks ugly. But if we only have $5000 to spend right this minute, do we use it on aesthetics? Or the water pressure issues? Mold remediation? Insulation? Does it make sense to spend $500 on needed kitchen cabinet/pantry space for the short term when we know we need to completely redo the kitchen and there are other so mang other important things that need attention?

so I’m really wondering if anyone can recommend resources for planning out a long term home renovation that will happen slowly over the course of 5-7 years while we live in the house. We are so overwhelmed that we’re doing nothing. Is there a design professional that would be able to help us plan this all out, help us figure out how to prioritize projects and funds, decide between immediate needs and aesthetics vs long term goals?

Any advice appreciated.

Comments (30)