SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amaranthineglow

New Here + Need Help Figuring Out Which Hoya is For Me - Please Help

amaranthineglow
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi,

I've been lurking and decided to post something. I'm new to Hoyas, but I'm good at growing plants. I want to buy a few Hoyas, but they are all so different. I'm hoping you can help me with suggestions given my needs/wants. Here they are:

1. Attractive leaves - I figure I'll be looking at leaves more often than flowers. I don't have a preference - I like obovata, clandestina, macrophylla, finlaysonnii, calyphina, wayeti and incrassata. I'm sorta open on that front. Ideally they'd all be distinct and even bold.

2. Compact size - I live in a small apartment in L.A. with lots of indirect west-facing light (no curtains!). I don't want a plant that'll get incredibly wild or six feet tall with trellising. I'd like something that can hang down. I might be open to a simple single trellis (up to 3 feet), but I don't really want to deal with the big ball of tangled leaves/branches style of trellising. If it can get 6 feet tall standing on its own, I'm interested. Or, if it could flower and be healthy with pruning that keeps it a certain size - that would be okay.

3. A pretty flower would be nice. The incrassata ball is especially pretty.

4. Not too many special needs - not a lot of water required (I'm in California!) - 1x a week, some food. I'll do the work, but I'm not interested in being a slave to a plant. I just want one that will grow and be pretty healthy after I've done what I need to do - like my other plants.

5. Scent - would be nice.

And that's it, or all I can think of.

Thanks for your help! I'm hopeful I'll get a few ideas.

Comments (8)

Sponsored