SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lokai99

Can you help me figure out where I am going wrong?

lokai99
6 years ago

Hi all,

So I have some issues with a few bulbs and because it is with more than one, I feel the problem must be with my care.

This bulb appears to have the brown papery tunic forming underneath a layer of green tissue. I noticed the color was "off" on a spot and when I touched it, it felt "loose".I saw the brown spot underneath so I peeled away a bit to discover this layer forming underneath.

#2 This bulb has a history of going "mushy". The leaves will grow and then I will notice the bright green outer layer will begin to look a bit "muddy" in color and it develops these soft and mushy bruised areas although it has not been changed in position nor has anything fallen on, or struck it to explain a bruise.

Bulb #1 is dormant and bulb #2 is just waking from dormancy. I brought them inside and they have been just sleeping at about 23 C since November. They have not been outside in the cold so these spots cannot be caused by frostbite. I have not been watering them because I didn't want to cause rot issues.

Am I too worried or am I rightfully alarmed?

The pots are plastic, but the have open/slats on the bottom and they stand off the base to allow for some air circulation.

I pot in a mixture of perlite, fired clay pellets, bark, and some coconut husk. They grew well during the summer with high humidity and frequent watering so it leads me to think that rot from too much moisture is the issue.

I would love to hear your advice.

Thanks in advance,

Comments (21)

Sponsored
More Discussions