SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mcnemeg

Ideas for a modern landscaping plan WITHOUT a retaining wall

Megan McNeal
5 years ago

The front of my home has some very builder grade landscaping. I'd like to upgrade, while still avoiding adding a retaining wall (for cost), all while keep the design modern. My area has a couple issues:

1) Our property line is fairly close to our neighbors, so we really can't extend the landscaping much further than the edge of the house (3-4 feet would be the max).

2) The area is on a decent slope. Not steep enough to require a retaining wall, but steep enough where it isn't out of the question.

I'd like something with a contemporary/modern touch, but I'm not opposed to boulders or berms to keep things interesting. Grasses and non-flowering (think boxwoods) are what I am the most comfortable with. I've put together dozens of drawings (and even had a couple of professional designs put together WITH a retaining wall) but nothing is getting me excited that doesn't cost $15k.

Ideally the plan would have something that distracts from the fact that there is a slope and visually tricks the eye into thinking there isn't one.

I desperately need some help!!!! Any ideas would be welcome!!!!

Comments (7)