SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lauragious

Is it OK to extend the 18"x18" floor tiles into shower?

lauragious
5 years ago

I have a small guest bathroom, currently with a fiberglass tub/shower. I would like to rip out the tub and fiberglass backing and transform into a walk-in shower. I had previously renovated the flooring from vinyl sheet to 18"x18" tiles, and would like to extend the same tile into the shower so as to not "cut up" the visual line of the room. My question: Can I use the same floor tile (18'x18") in a shower? Or should I get the same brand/tile but in a mosaic 2"x2" pattern on a mesh backing? I think it would give me the look I want, but don't know if it would be too slippery. The tile is the Daltile Salerno SL84 Grigio Perla unpolished "stone" ceramic tile. (see links below)

Another design quandry: I'm planning on doing a frameless half-glass wall, from floor to ceiling, but add a 6" curb only where the glass is in order to provide more of a foundation for the glass. My question: Is it necessary to extend the curb all the way to the opposite wall (per code?), or could I omit the curb if the slope toward the drain is sufficient?

Daltile Salerno Perla Grigio SL84 Mesh Tile

Daltile Salerno Grigio Perla 18"x18"

Thank you in advance for any feedback.

L~

Comments (6)