SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kbear_15

How to properly install pavers & thermal bluestone...conflicting info

kbear_15
5 years ago

I live in NE Ohio and am having various contractors come to give me quotes on a patio/steps. I am interested in either thermal bluestone or pavers that look like bluestone (i.e. Unilock Beacon Hill or Richcliff). I currently have grass in the area where I want the patio; Backyard is not level and is sloped. [prior posts regarding ideas for the patio and showing pictures of the backyard: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/creative-ideas-for-backyard-area-dsvw-vd~4756777]

Method 1: For the pavers, one contractor told me the following: excavate (8-12'' deep), put stone/mesh/sand, then put a concrete pad (Furthest from the house: pile ons 36'' to support pad to avoid pull away or anything moving/shifting). Then use concrete adhesive to bond the pavers (basically gluing the pavers down).

Method 2: For pavers, another contractor told me: they'd excavate; for the base (6-8'' deep), put dust-3/4'' 411? crushed limestone; add water/tamper; put in screen rods (basically 1'' gas pipes); add polymeric sand; put pavers on top of the sand. No concrete.

Which method is correct?

How is thermal bluestone installed? (which method or neither and how)?

Assuming the steps would be the same material as the patio, how are steps properly installed?

Comments (4)