SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
madakatude6a

New Dawn a Hot Mess Now!

madakatude6a
5 years ago

So this wicked storm we’re having here in NY did a number on my New Dawn yesterday. I came home to find her ripped off her trellis. To be fair, I’ve lost control here anyway. In the first pick, this is how she was two years ago growing nice and tame horizontally. Then she just took off in all directions and I found myself pinning canes anywhere I could. I have a few questions for you all...

Pic#1 – This is the part that ripped away from the trellis/house. It’s really the part I let grow away from the trellis and it was very loosely attached to the house anyway. That explains why the wind and hard rain took it so easily. Would the plant suffer if I cut it away now before it starts to flower? It’s a lot of cut back…

Pict#2 – These cans grew this season away from the trellis. Can I cut them off now without hurting the plant?

Pic #3 – This is the base – That cane circled is going away from the house and will never produce anything I can get on the trellis. I’d like to cut that as well? Can this one be propagated??

Pic #4 Just another angle of the mess. Can’t even get out there until Sunday because it will be raining until then says the weatherman. We need the rain but jeez this mess might be worse by then.

Thoughts?

Comments (8)