SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
socks12345

Who is still loving their Shark vacuum cleaner?

socks
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

The Hoover drive mechanism is broken, has been repaired a couple times over the years, but I want to replace it with a Shark since they seem so popular.

I read a KT thread from a couple years ago about vacuums. Many people seem to love the Sharks. If you still have one and like it, let me know which one. I think I'll compare prices between Costco and BBB with a coupon.

If you get a Shark, do you need to get another vacuum with attachments?

We have mostly W/W carpeting but 3 rooms with hard floors.

Many thanks.

Comments (47)

• lisaw2015 (ME)
    5 years ago

I have the newest Shark Duo clean sitting on my doorstep right now. Cant wait to get home & try it out. I will come back here tomorrow & let you know what I think.

This one: https://www.wayfair.com/storage-organization/pdp/shark-duoclean-bagless-upright-vacuum-sak1276.html

socks thanked lisaw2015 (ME)
  • socks
    Original Author
    5 years ago

OK,Lisa! I was going to post how much I was looking forward to a new vacuum but thought it sounded silly, so I'm glad to hear you are looking forward to yours! LOL...doesn't take much to make us happy! Cleaning tools!

• Related Discussions

Need Suggestions for Vacuum Cleaner for Elderly Parents

Q

Comments (39)
    I see that you already made a decision with your vacuum purchase for your parents, and am glad it is working well for them. I realize you don't need this info, but posting in case helpful to anyone else. I have an Oreck XL 21 that I purchased 9 yrs ago when pregnant (it has 21 annual cleanings/maintenance), but this was when they were still made in US, I believe. Works well, and I love the lightweight aspect and huge bags (they hold lots and lots of dirt/animal hair!), which are easy to change. I also have a small, rechargeable Shark bagless for quick clean-ups for the fall out from my daughter's gerbils, and quick dog/cat hair pickup. Gotta say, I HATE emptying it, and digging out the hair collected in the filters. Have a 15 year old Miele White Star canister too (like many here, I do have a bit of an addiction to vacs). Give us another update after they've been using them for a while. =)
    ...See More

Shark Rocket Professional Vacuum

Q

Comments (21)
    Our last vacuum was a very expensive Miele canister vac that DH bought as a "surprise" for me. I couldn't wait until it wore out so that I could get one that wasn't a canister-type that I had to drag around. It was made very well and took a long time to die (LOL). But, I did my homework, really researching vacuums before buying my next vac, the Shark Navigator Pro Liftaway. I've had it for over a year now and love it! My only complaints about it are: (1) it doesn't have a retractable cord like my Miele did; and (2) I knock the crevice and small brush attachments off the handle too frequently while vacuuming. Both are minor complaints, though. I have real brick floors with Oriental rugs throughout the house . . . and 2 dogs, one of which sheds her long hair profusely. This vac switches from bare floors to rugs with the flip of a switch on the vac. It's very very good at getting up all of Chloe's hair! The attachment to slide under dressers, sofas, refrigerators, etc. really comes in handy. If my Shark died tomorrow, I would absolutely buy another. Lynn
    ...See More

Simplicity vacuum cleaner.......does anyone have?

Q

Comments (4)
    I've had a simplicity cannister vac for more than 10 years. It's not perfect but I like that it is repairable or that parts are replaceable (rather than tossing out and buying a new machine). I have wood floors and area rugs and it does a good job.
    ...See More

Vacuum cleaner, have to suck it up

Q

Comments (95)
    So I ended up with a Shark. It’s still in the box so I can’t comment on performance. I got it at Costco so it’s easily returnable. I went there because they had a deal on a Dyson Animal. However once I saw it, I knew it wasn’t going to work for me. That ball is huge and I have very limited storage space. It’s also a lot heavier than the Shark. This model is highly recommended by Consumer Reports and so many of you like Sharks. We’ll see how it goes. I am appalled by all the plastic after a lifetime of old Hoovers and my Kenmore canister. Not just Sharks, but all of them except the Miele. If I had a bigger house I might have sprung for the Miele.. Thanks for all your feedback. It really helped!
    ...See More
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    5 years ago

Love it. I had to get a new one since mine was lost in the flood. I of course got another shark navigator lift away. My cleaning ladies love it, said it's the best vacuum they have ever used. I asked them to use mine instead of the one they have. Now they want one. Big lots had them on sale so I got a very good price.

socks thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • lisaw2015 (ME)
    5 years ago

Yes, a great cleaning tool and/or product truly makes me happy!

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    5 years ago

Shark at big lots great prices especially when you use their coupon or 20% off days

http://www.biglots.com/search/?Ntt=Shark%20vacuum%20

• pkramer60
    5 years ago

I got my shark 3 years ago at Costco and still love it. And it came with a ton of tools too. Price then was $149.

socks thanked pkramer60
  • socks
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks, Raven. I remember you are a Big Lots shopper; got my coloring markers there at your recommendation some time ago!

Is the "rotator" with the beater bar and the "lift-away" with just suction?

• User
    5 years ago

We still have our shark pro. We bought it from Costco two - three years ago. It works well on carpets but not so great on floors which is a bummer. I personally don’t like using it though because I’m short and it’s top heavy. It’s really hard for me to maneuver. Our expensive upstairs vac died a couple of weeks ago, so I’m going to move it upstairs and buy something else for the downstairs. The timing of your thread is ideal. Thanks for posting it.

socks thanked User
  • Amazing Aunt Audrey
    5 years ago

I have the Rocket, love it!

socks thanked Amazing Aunt Audrey
  • OutsidePlaying
    5 years ago

I have had mine a couple of years. The housekeeper likes it and so do I. The lift-away refers to being able to remove a portion of it for use as a sort of hand-held or portable unit for draperies, upholstery, stairs, etc, with attachments and where you can’t use the upright floor cleaner. It’s easy to remove and reattach. And the bagless part and filters are easy to clean.

socks thanked OutsidePlaying
  • Georgysmom
    5 years ago

The Shark Pro is heavier than the other models. I had one, tried it and brought it back for another model. But then again, I am old! I have two Sharks. One for upstairs and one for downstairs. I think they are a great value for the money.

socks thanked Georgysmom
  • socks
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Can you remember what model you exchanged for, Georgysmom?

• cat_ky
    5 years ago

I have a Shark Professional, Rotator, lift away, with the dust tool and crevice tool, mounted on the back. It was 2 yrs old at Christmas time. I love it.

socks thanked cat_ky
  • Texas_Gem
    5 years ago

If you can, you should really get a bagged vacuum cleaner. They are much better at cleaning and air filtration.

There is a vacuum repair guy that posts on reddit. He has done several AMAs (ask me anything) and from an opperational and maintenance perspective, a bagged vacuum is much better.

The best are Miele, Riccar or Sebo.

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/5seq5t/i_ama_vacuum_repair_technician_and_its_spring/#bottom-comments

socks thanked Texas_Gem
  • arkansas girl
    5 years ago

This is timely because just this morning we were talking about vacuums at the dog park and this lady was telling us how much she HATED her Shark Navigator. I think she pretty much hated everything about it. HA! She hated the dust cup and filters, hated how it's so powerful it will just about suck up a rug, hated the attachments it comes with and said it's hard to push. She missed her OLD vacuum that died, I think it was a Hoover.

On another note, I saw that Ollie's has them in their ad for $99 for a refurbished one, they are guaranteed to work just keep your receipt.

socks thanked arkansas girl
  • sjerin
    5 years ago

I used some "found money" to but a Miele and have never regretted it. My vacuum is one of my most cherished possessions and I still love it!

• User
    5 years ago

I have to argue about Riccar’s being one of the best. “Pros” may say they are but ours was not great at all especially when you consider how expensive they are. Ours was constantly having problems to the point where I stopped using it for a number of years. We had it for about 13 years but I only got about 5 or 6 years of lite use out it. When it stopped this last time I chose to ditch it as opposed to repairing it (again). It’s just the two of us and it was only used on a frieze carpet upstairs where dirt was almost a none issue.

socks thanked User
  • maire_cate
    5 years ago

I have 3 Shark Navigators at 2 different homes - all different models too. I plan on buying a Miele soon for my primary home which has mostly hardwood floors. None of the Sharks do a good job on a bare floor - yes they easily pick up all of the dog hair from my dog but leave a fine layer of dust behind. For all I know they also leave the dust behind on a carpet but that you can't see.

socks thanked maire_cate
  • pekemom
    5 years ago

I've had mine for years and love them...LiftAway and Rocket.

socks thanked pekemom
  • Alisande
    5 years ago

I have three different Sharks--the white Navigator Pro for downstairs, the lavender Navigator for the attic, and the Rocket for upstairs because it can go way under the beds. I also love the Rocket because of its powerful headlight. My old house has dark stairs and a lot of dark corners. And yes, I still love them all. I donated my Dyson to the animal shelter years ago and don't miss it.

Maire_Cate, one of my Sharks comes with an attachment designed to pick up dust from bare floors. Lazy housekeeper that I am, I've never used it. But I'm pretty sure it exists! :-)

socks thanked Alisande
  • Georgysmom
    5 years ago

I exchanged it for the Navigator Professional NV 370 26. It is heavier than my upstairs one but not as heavy as the first one I bought. It's white also as is the heavy one I bought. Upstairs is the Navigator Lift-Away which is even lighter. That one is grey, but I don't see that model in stores anymore. They all have really great suction. When I bought my first one (the lift-away) I vacuumed my family room rug which is 10 x 12 (it had just been vacuumed a few days before with my old vacuum) and I filled up the entire canister with dirt! I could be a salesman for Shark!

socks thanked Georgysmom
  • maire_cate
    5 years ago

Alisande - two of mine have that extra floor attachment and I haven't used it either. I have many area rugs and runners and I'm too lazy to switch back and forth - I'd rather put my money into one vacuum that can do bare floors and carpets. And while I don't mind emptying the dust bins on the Shark vacuums I'm ready for a vacuum with a bag. I'll still use my Sharks for quick pick-ups but I'll use the Miele when I'm cleaning the whole house.

socks thanked maire_cate
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    5 years ago

I have two Sharks - the Liftaway and a hand-held cordless - and I love them both. I find I use the cordless more often than the Liftaway as it is just so quick and easy for the odd bits that accumulate daily and I don't often need to do a full house vacuum as it is just me....and the dog and cat :-) Both came with attachments but I don't use them often.

socks thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • lisaw2015 (ME)
    5 years ago

socks - don't hesitate for a minute to buy the Shark I posted above. I LOVE it! The hose is very flexible and the wand super long, I was able to easily switch from vacuuming bare hardwood floor to our log beams and from bare floors to a low pile rug. It has super bright LED headlights and maintenance will be a breeze with all you need to keep the rollers clean on board. I just love how you open the garage door and can easily remove the rollers and the little comb to remove hair (I have a lot & it's long) from the roller brush is securely on board here as well. And to top it all off, it's a gorgeous shade of red, matches my decor perfectly! (you know, just in case company shows up when it's out) The one con is that it is heavy. Probably not any heavier than most but I was used to a very light cordless shark stick vacuum.

socks thanked lisaw2015 (ME)
  • socks
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Oh Lisa, you are so sweet to follow up. I was wondering about how much "fun" you were having. I seriously doubt that I would consider it heavy as my current vac weighs 23 lbs.

I'm kind of overwhelmed at the moment. Shark has too many models. I phoned for help, but that was only slightly helpful. The representative could answer specific questions but had no other help.

Carry on!

• User
    5 years ago

Socks, the one that Lisa posted above is currently sold by Costco as well on their website w/free shipping. 249.00. I’m thinking of giving it a try that way because of their return policy.

socks thanked User
  • socks
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you, Lukki

I went to Costco and looked at that one. I’m just not sure about he duoclean style. I also went to Home Depot and they have a shark model for 149, relatively inexpensive, the Navigator

I even looked at the Dysons at HD. I am willing to pay the price but don’t think it’s worth it.

got consumer reports at the library and a couple sharks are highly rated but believe it or not they the top rated upright is a Kenmore among the bagged vacuumed.

Bagless, consumer reports top rated Shark Navigator Powered lift Away NV586.

The above recommendations are for homes of one floor.

• User
    5 years ago

I seldom if ever refer to Consumer Reports because their recommendations are always opposite of what user reviews tend to reflect. Kenmore is Sears and Sears is dying, read reviews by users and you will find they do not meet the same standard that maybe they used to.

socks thanked User
  • Georgysmom
    5 years ago

The Shark Navigator lift away is very good. For $149 you can't beat it. The only shark model I didn't care for is the most expensive one and that's because it was too heavy. I talked my friend in to buying it, not knowing and when she told me it was too heavy, I didn't know what she was talking about until I bought one myself. She has a cleaning woman now and the cleaning woman (much younger) loves it. No need to spend $250, the $149 will suffice.

socks thanked Georgysmom
  • Michael
    5 years ago

Maire-Cate,

If you're interested in a very thorough review of the Miele Homecare Collection, here's a link to one of the best experts in the business.

Be sure to check out the 24' vacuum hose for the Miele. That's our favorite option. We can clean an entire room without moving the canister.

Miele Homecare

socks thanked Michael
  • Alisande
    5 years ago

Yikes! And I thought Dysons were expensive!

socks thanked Alisande
  • Jasdip
    5 years ago

Mieles are expensive. My parents own an upright and it's horribly noisy. Very high-pitched. I don't know if my step-father still hasit or not, but Mom hated the sound of it, as did I.

socks thanked Jasdip
  • Georgysmom
    5 years ago

I have two Kenmore canisters. I liked the first one but the second one which was the same model bought several years later, was really a piece of junk. Not well made at all. This was the vacuum I used to clean my family room rug, the same rug I vacuumed several days later with my Shark Navigator and filled the entire canister with dirt! I think I paid $250 - $300 for the Kenmore. That was many years ago. I always had Electrolux vacuums back in the day when they had a great reputation.....60 years ago. However, when a new hose started costing more than some vacuum cleaners on the market, that's when I bought my first Kenmore.

socks thanked Georgysmom
  • User
    5 years ago

timely post as I think I asked something similar over a year ago and still have not acted . I am looking to replace my slowly dying kenmore cannister. I too had a kenmore canister and replaced it after many years with a comparable one (progressive) and love it but it is so heavy and clunky and clumsy. The one I have now is over 10 maybe 15 years old and is ready to be retired. I keep getting overwhelmed with the options. I am a costco member and also pay attention to the kohl's offerings when they do the 30 % off bit.........but still have not pulled the trigger. One of these days.

socks thanked User
  • maire_cate
    5 years ago

Brushworks - thanks for the Miele link. There is a Miele Experience Center (don't you love the name- sounds like an amusement park) not too far from where I live and I plan on stopping in there the next time I'm in the area. Years ago I tried one Miele vacuum at my local Sew and Vac and that particular canister model was difficult to manuever the swivel head. It put too much pressure on my arthritic hand.

I'm willing to try again. While I like my Shark for carpets none of the three I own do a good job on dust.

socks thanked maire_cate
  • socks
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I ended up getting the Shark Rotator at BBB. It was $50 off, and they honored the 20% off coupon too. I had a gift card from Christmas as well. I used it last night and this morning. Seems to work well, but it makes my wrist sore. Maybe I'm overworking the swiveling action. Now I must try the pet hair device on the sofa.

• artemis_ma
    5 years ago

I am using the Shark Ion Robot, and I like him. Not sure you want a robot, but if you do, I'm happy with this one. It is wifi, but I don't use that capacity, because I really don't have a set time for him to run - so I can't speak to that feature. (Yes, he's developed a personality and a gender... LoL.)

My other vacuum is a canister Dirt Devil, which is beat up and dates back to the early 1980's. I don't think they're made any more, but I haven't checked. Has a nozzle which helps me with wall cobwebs and such. About 8-10 years ago I scored 50 collection bags for this model from e-Bay, and I still have about ten left. (I am not above emptying them by hand if needed...) Thing still works like a charm, for the things I need it for. Robots and uprights don't do walls or stairs...

socks thanked artemis_ma
  • User
    5 years ago

That’s a great deal Socks! I think the Shark Rotator is what I have presently.

• User
    5 years ago

If you can, you should really get a bagged vacuum cleaner. They are much better at cleaning and air filtration.

The best are Miele, Riccar or Sebo.

Used a cordless Hoover Linx for a few years, but could often see dust returning to the air when in use and I cleaned the filter religiously.

Had a Progressive canister for about 20 years. Finally got rid of both. A cordless Riccar replaced the Linx and a Sebo canister the Progressive. I'm very pleased! Not cheap by any means, but sometimes it's worth it to spend a little more.

socks thanked User
  • socks
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Lukki, what are you getting for downstairs?

I've only vacuumed twice. The first time I hated it, but it could have been on the wrong floor setting. It has 3 settings: hard floors, low nap carpets and high nap. I like that feature. This morning I like it a little better.

I like the swively-ness to get into corners and small areas. One reason I got this one is because it has a light, and the cord is 5' longer (30'). I think the canister is kind of heavy when it's lifted off, but not too bad. The hose is heavy. That said, the Shark is 8 lbs lighter than my other vacuum and quieter too.

Of no importance, I think it's ugly!

• juneroses Z9a Cntrl Fl
    4 years ago

Because of the enthusiasm of you all in this thread (and similar on
    the KT), I finally bought a Shark 2 weeks ago; I got the Navigator
    Lift-Away (the purple one). So far, I’m loving it. It’s so
    light in weight. The amount of debris in the dustbin the first time
    around confirmed that my clunky Hoover was overdue for retirement.

I actually enjoyed
    vacuuming the house this AM (surely this will pass!).

• chisue
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I don't know how hard it is to retrofit a house for a central vacuum, but you might look into it. This and the recirculating hot water pump are two of my favorite things about the house we built in 2000. Newer systems have a Hide-A-Hose feature -- probably harder to retrofit.

I am so spoiled! I'm not pushing around an awkward, heavy, noisy, diminishing-suction machine with a short warranty. I don't fill and replace expensive bags frequently or need to hold my breath while dumping a canister after each use.

My system cost $1000 upfront -- all tools and installation with four outlets. I needed a new motor ($200) after 16 years. There's just a mild 'swooshing' noise where I'm using it; the motor is in the basement. DH changes the $7 bag 3 - 4 times a year. We have hardwood and orientals that this cleans with suction only. (Heads with beater bars are available for heavy carpets.) The suction is strong enough to capture a fly from six inches away, but I can reduce suction with a twist of a lever to vacuum a bathroom rug without pulling the rug off the floor.

I don't know what I might have paid to replace vacuums and buy bags absent this. I'm out $1200 + $400 for bags -- around $80/year, and *total satisfaction* for all of it.

I think this should be a plus for anyone buying our house -- certainly for anyone who is already used to the benefits.

• Jasdip
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

We bought a Shark Rocket ultra-pro a couple of years ago, and we both like it a lot. The only thing I wish is that the brush roller cleaned itself from cat hair, instead of me cleaning it. It's easy to maneuver.

• socks
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I like seeing all the "stuff" in the clear dust bin. Very satisfying. I find the machine a bit awkward sometimes but it does a good job. When I unhook the dustbin part from the handle to use the hose to vacuum, the dustbin part falls over, very annoying. But overall, it's a good machine.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    4 years ago

I picked up a Shark Lift-away that was set out for the trash -- it just needed a thorough cleaning (as is usually the case) and new filters. I am using it as the upstairs vacuum now. It is a good vacuum, but not any better IMO than my bagged Panasonic, and will require more routine cleaning (of the filters) than the Panasonic does. I haven't tried to use the lift away feature yet but will when (if) I ever get around to my "spring" cleaning.

BTW I haven't experienced "losing suction" with the Panasonic even though it must be close to 15 years old now.

• georgysmom2
    4 years ago

At Christmas, Amazon had the Shark Pro on sale. (Like the one I bought and brought back because it was too heavy.) Since I now have a cleaning girl who is very young and much stronger then me, I figured she could handle it. Maybe there were complaints about it being too heavy, I do not know, but this one is lighter than the one I brought back. My original shark Navigator lift-away, which was many years old bit the dust so I took my downstairs vacuum upstairs and bought the new one for downstairs. I like the pro because it has a light on it and I do do some vacuuming at night. I think the Shark is the best value for the money. I've been very pleased with mine after many, many years and I've had three different models......like them all. For many, many years I had an Electrolux. When it was more expensive to buy a new hose than a new vacuum, I decided enough.